Think i might cry....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Think i might cry....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay okay, maybe not hit THAT hard by it, but what I was told does suck some serious lemons.

I got in from school all of 20minuites ago and my Mongols me I had a phone call from a CPT.fake-name from the recruiting center by me. Needless to say, after a few weeks of me always calling them, I was pretty stoked. Then he told me the reason he was calling.

My vision wasn't up to par with the choices I was going for (Infantry, Combat Engineer, and Field Artillery). That put a small kink in my plans for life. It did get a little better though.

He told me that I still have a couple of choices left that I can go for, even with my eye sight. So now I'm down to Bosun in the navy(gotta find out what that is), cook, Intelligence operator, Mechanic(any thing under that), Material Technician (have to find out what this one is too), Medical Assistance, and finally a Signal Operator.

Needless to say, glasses kinda suck now. Haha

EDIT for those who didn't happen to catch it, I was nor am I close to crying. The tittle was simply just a way of saying it was lame finding out I couldn't go for what I was hoping.

image-555494880.jpg  

Last edited by kaido; 03-13-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Aw, crud, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

For what it's worth, a very good buddy of mine has outstanding eyesight and can't put five shots on an 8x10 sheet of paper at 50 feet with a 22lr rifle. He was in artillery in the Army. I'm not sure what their standards actually are....

Let us know where you end up. No matter where (or whether!) you do, we're proud of you and you have our gratitude.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #3

Well.....your friend seems a little odd then. Haha
But I'm in Canada so our standards are probably a little different the. What yours are.

From what I've read so far, I'm leaning more towards material technician as of now. But that's probably going to chance with in the seven days I've been given to make up my mind. If I don't call them in that time, my file gets closed. A little bit of a downer.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Well.....your friend seems a little odd then. Haha
Oh hell, you have no idea how odd. Great guy, very smart, just can't hit a bull elephant in the arse with a 2x4....

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
Oh hell, you have no idea how odd. Great guy, very smart, just can't hit a bull elephant in the arse with a 2x4....

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed.
Haha the odd ones usualy are pretty good friends, regardless of their shooting skills.

But I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Just another blip.

Got I contact with the unit I'd be paired with today, I gave him the option I was going for, Material Tech, and was told that's only available for full-time members.

Turns out the first person I talked to yesterday didn't realize what part of the forces I was applying for and just have me a general list of what I'm able to go for. So instead of choosing that trait, I'm going with Vehicle Tech since its pretty close to it and I'd still be learning skills I could use after leaving the forces.

Since I know someone is probably wondering why I'm not going in as a full time member, I was still in grade eleven when I applied to join up. The reason I went with reservist is because I thought I would of been done my basic training (boot camp) while still on school. That was a fair while ago. I also asked if it would be possible to be switched out into reg force since I'm only 3months (not including march) away from being done school, but was given different answers by each person.

Some have said that I'd have to go back and do just the testing alone for the reg force other have said I'd have to refill out the application as well as do the testing. I've also been told that it would just be easier to get all my training done since its the same for both regular forces and reserve forces and then switch over after that's all said and done. Out of those three, I'm going with the last one since it honestly does seem like it would be easier to do.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, good luck with figuring out that career path. I am a firm believer that sometimes things don't work out like you hope/plan for a reason (Karma, divine intervention, luck, whatever).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

A bit of advice from a old grunt. Given all the stink holes we are currently engaged in and the often erratic action of our Chief Appologizer, I would tell any youg person considering service to GO ACTIVE DUTY.

Seems to me the Reservists and National Guard units are doing most of the multiple deployments through the sand box while the active duty regiments are back home keeping there training up for the "next" major action.

Long story short, if you need to go Johny Jihad hunting it's better to do it with a complete unit that rotates together, "unit cohesion", rather that getting assigned to a unit already "in rotation" where you land "in country" fresh out of boot, as the cherry FNG.

Either way your choice to serve is respected.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was in the USMC as Intel and had a great time doing it. We didnt have the vision rules to determine what mos you can do though. I just hapened to score really good and picked it. I spent 90% of my time with and infantry unit to collect and intel during patrols. IM sorry i cant say i know all these cool secrets and was in the pentagon and all. All i did was go on patrols and if i noticed anything that looked kinda important i collected it and took it back.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Well, good luck with figuring out that career path. I am a firm believer that sometimes things don't work out like you hope/plan for a reason (Karma, divine intervention, luck, whatever).
Oh I know. Karma has been a bit of a butt-hole the past little bit. I keep having plans go south, but some of the smaller ones I've made have worked out have gone pretty good the past monthish so I'm hoping that this starts to get a move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
A bit of advice from a old grunt. Given all the stink holes we are currently engaged in and the often erratic action of our Chief Appologizer, I would tell any youg person considering service to GO ACTIVE DUTY.

Seems to me the Reservists and National Guard units are doing most of the multiple deployments through the sand box (cut to save space)

Long story short, if you need to go jonny jihad hunting it's better to do it with a complete unit that rotates together (cut again)

Good Luck

Tack
I did originally plan on going in as reg force (active duty) ever since I was around 13 or so. But after doing some thinking while I was sixteen I figured I still wanted to have my schooling done, but join as soon as I could. That's the reason I enlisted as a reservist. I do plan on switching over to active duty after my training is done.

The other thing, as far as actualy going On deployments, I'm not sure if I can. I was told that do to my eye sight I couldn't pick a combat roll, that's why I decided to switch out for Vehicle Tech. With any luck though, I might be sent over and go on the odd patrol or be sent "out of the wire" to meet up with a convoy that's having mechanical troubles. That would probably be it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retaks
I was in the USMC as Intel and had a great time doing it. We didnt have the vision rules to determine what mos you can do though. I just hapened to score really good and picked it. I spent 90% of my time with and infantry unit to collect and intel during patrols. IM sorry i cant say i know all these cool secrets and was in the pentagon and all. All i did was go on patrols and if i noticed anything that looked kinda important i collected it and took it back.
That's why I was thinking about going with intel for a little bit. I thought it would be something that's fairly fun and exciting to do. I also like the challange of having to remember things. Never expected to learn all the top secret things that go on surfing wars at all. Was only expecting to know when the next offensive/patrol was going to be made. Haha