Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Things your burglars won't tell you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Things your burglars won't tell you

Things your burgular won't tell you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things your burglars won't tell you

This is actually a really great email filled with some tips that I never would have thought of, so I am passing it along for all of your protection. One of these tips could save you or someone who receives the email resulting from it being passed along!!

Things Your Burglar Won't Tell You:

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... And taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4.. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom-and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door-understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather..

9. I always knock first.. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet..

11. Helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13.. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.)

14. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never ever look like a crook.

15. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

16. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise.. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

17. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

18. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets..

19. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

20. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

21. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina , Oregon , California , and Kentucky ; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book "Burglars on the Job".

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. (I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.)

Wasp Spray
A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection... Thought this was interesting and might be of use..

Wasp And Hornet Spray
On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life..

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #2

thats some good reading there. I'll have to do some more research on wasp spray. I wonder if it does permanent damage if you don't wash out you eyes or if you injest it. Wasp spray may be a good alternative for those animal pests around the home, say maybe the neighbors dog that refuses to stop chasing your cat in your yard. Wouldn't want to injure or kill some elses pet even if it was a nuisance.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Never thought of wasp spray. Ive used it before and it is accurate from 20-25 feet. Kills wasps instantly, so its got to f*ck up the BG worse than peper spray.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day
Saw these inexpensive door alarms, $8 shipped i bleve. The site changes merchandise every day.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I was foreman on a jury trying a man for armed burglary. He did indeed choose the home because he was delivering pizza to a neighbor earlier in the day and saw undisturbed snow in the driveway.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good info. Thanks Jo.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Good post Jo, very thought provoking.

On the wasp spray - I like the idea but have doubts as to using it as a defensive weapon. Surely if pepper spray is illegal wouldn't any irritating aerosol also be? (Unless you could prove the existence of nearby wasps and you just 'happen' to be holding it )

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

If I am going to use a spray, it may be starting fluid. And a lighter.

Most of the wasp & hornet knock down sprays have a petroleum base. While it is probably more effective than spraying anti-perspirant at the bad guy, I would not bet my life on it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good points to consider!!

+10

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

WD-40 and a lighter!!!!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball