Things we should have learned in Kindergarten. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Things we should have learned in Kindergarten.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by naf84 View Post
Just my experience. I joined, saw a thread, posted on it and then got reprimanded for posting on an old thread that someone was tired of.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. The same thing happened to me.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #42
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8941 Times on 5348 Posts
Likes Given: 11956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Oh yeah. Who was the first person to tell me it was an old thread? Winds-of-Change. Was it done with harmful intent? I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. That post read "4 year old thread." which was kind of vague.
Doc, my response was just pointing out it was a 4 year old thread. I don't really remember the thread, though. If you or anyone thinks I am out of line, please PM me and I could explain myself so bad feelings don't fester and stew. The only time I don't like an old thread being dug up is if it's a member who hasn't posted for many months that had asked a question such as, "All my bullets are hitting to the left of the target. Does anyone have any advice?" If the thread is many months old and the person hasn't been on FTF for a while, giving advice to him/her isn't going to do any good. Sometimes I point out it's an old thread because maybe someone didn't even notice they were posting to a very old thread.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #43

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Most of the issues brought up here would be non-issues if people would read the forum rules, (old threads, thick skin etc.) which I know for a fact, few, if any do...it's just that simple...

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #44

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Most of the issues brought up here would be non-issues if people would read the forum rules, (old threads, thick skin etc.) which I know for a fact, few, if any do...it's just that simple...
Thick skin is a big thing on this forum, seems like some people are getting ass hurt by harmless comments. I dont start getting irritated until the trolling starts or someone proceeds to name calling,i dont sweat the small stuff

Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #45

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Kindergarten should open with weapons identification.
Grade school should be about cleaning and equipment
Junior high should cover range and shooting.
High school should close with reloading techniques.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
But how does a member make that distinction? This forum setup makes it very easy to reopen old threads by posting a list of similar threads at the bottom of the page. I got nailed by that a week or three ago on that SC bomb maker that was turned in by his mom.

As for me, I've never worked with this forum software before. The forums I mod don't use it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't meet our need for linking back to previous posts in a conversation. Now that I am aware of the fact that those similar threads links may be old as the hills, you can bet I won't be clicking any more of them. In the meantime, if the forum admin, mods, and members don't want old threads posted to, maybe they should check the software to see if they can institute a kill date for inactive threads.
(note: I edited Doc's post for brevity)

Doc has some very good points here. On one hand the threads are offered up as relevant but on the other there doesn't seem to be any mechanism available in the programming to have a "sunset" on old threads. It would be nice is if old threads were retained in an archive so that they could be accessed if it is done purposely (as in a search on a subject or a member wants to reference an earlier thread), rather than resurrecting an old thread accidentally as happens pretty frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
But the rules apparently contradict the reality of the format of the forum software. To wit, in a kindergarten classroom if you have cookies every day and the cookies left over from the previous days are never removed the children are going to periodically eat the old cookies, regardless of the fact that they are told not to eat them. Its inevitable. (Not like there would be any leftover cookies in this group, but I hope the analogy works).

To me it is like when a member asks a question and then there are pages and pages flaming them for failing to use the search function. This is very, very common on some other forums I have visited in the past, but not here). The reality of it is is that search functions on forums (this one included) are of very little value, at least to me, because they simply don't work very well. I have left several forums because of this treatment (not necessarily of me, but of members in general). The preferred way (IMHO) is how it is handled here on FTF, if somebody asks a newbie question then members generally will reference the earlier thread on the subject and if that doesn't answer the question fully then the OP can state that and get clarification.

Why can't the members who resurrect old threads be treated with the same respect?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #47

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Agree 100% about the search function, not very useful for whatever reason. There's a difference in questions, a general question that can easily be answered with a simple google search, ( A lot of people seem to want to have their dudiligence done for them.) and a more specific opinion/technical related question which most are happy to offer advice. If you think a certain thread is useless....DON'T POST IN IT...just that easy...

I know nothing about formatting and software...but...some threads will ALWAYS have relevance, no matter when the last post was made, I.E. the "What Have You Done For Preps Lately". Some others not so much, like when some guy 2 years ago asks about a good gun store in East Texas. All threads have a post date on them, I don't think it's too much to ask to be mindful of that, and use common sense.

I've not seen anybody get 'flamed' in a rude way for bringing an old thread back to life...(not saying it never happens, I've just not seen it) just the usual "You owe this thread a b-day cake' stuff. It's a running joke here on FTF and if someone takes THAT personally, well, there's that thick skin thing I was talking about. If someone gets all butthurt from some playful ribbing, not much I can do about it.

There are no 'inside jokes' no 'cliques' here, it takes time to make friends (just like in real life) and some of us have done just that, which is what I love about this place.

Last edited by vincent; 06-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Doc, my response was just pointing out it was a 4 year old thread. I don't really remember the thread, though. If you or anyone thinks I am out of line, please PM me and I could explain myself so bad feelings don't fester and stew.
There were no bad feelings about your post. It was just vague. I have to admit my mental response to it was, "Yeah? So?" Then I looked at the first post and my answer to it. My answer was still a valid opinion so I left it. If that's a problem, I'm sorry. Like I said before, it won't happen again.

Quote:
The only time I don't like an old thread being dug up is if it's a member who hasn't posted for many months that had asked a question such as, "All my bullets are hitting to the left of the target. Does anyone have any advice?" If the thread is many months old and the person hasn't been on FTF for a while, giving advice to him/her isn't going to do any good.
You are missing the obvious. Whether the OP gets the answer to their shooting left problem or not doesn't matter. Unless he/she is the only person on the planet with the problem, that answer may still help someone. Just because the person asking the question doesn't stick around to get the answer, the answer is still valid to others with the same question.

If the old thread problem is a thorn in the side to the members and staff why don't you ask the admin to see if there is a time bomb feature built into the forum software? The software for the forums I mod has this feature, and in one of the forums we actually use it. It can be set to either close or delete a thread after a certain period of inactivity, and if you choose the close option the thread can always be reopened on request.