You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Things that disturb us....!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #801
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5232 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 1726

Those jacked up 4x4 trucks made a good showing in Houston. Of course it was by drivers that actually used them. Mostly in Louisiana swamps. The Red Neck Army. The Aussies put snorkels on their 4x4 rigs.
https://www.maxim.com/rides/redneck-army-trucks-rescue-national-guard-2017-9
https://www.safari4x4.com.au/products
People Like This 
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #802
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6966 Times on 3961 Posts
Likes Given: 32991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Ah, but you're missing the point. By jacking up an already tall truck you can ensure that (a) you can see over pretty much anything around you, and (b) no one can see past you (unless they're really low slung and can see under you!!!)
Not to mention the view from up there in the warmer months, when the college girls get out the convertibles.

Like gunman, i choose to drive a 3/4 ton truck, mine being a 91 Chevy with about 2 inches of lift in the front, and 3 in the back. i am also leasing a Hyundai Ellantra, and own motorcycles, the car to help build my credit up for a better rate when i buy a house (lease just shows payments made, not debt, so it looks better on a report), and the bikes because I enjoy them. The truck because it makes me money more often than not, as I use it to haul, tow, and plow.

i also feel far safer in my old, non-airbagged, no ABS, no Traction Control, truck, which I do take off road as well. And no, I don't count lawns and parking lots as off road. Same with the wife's Dakota, as I have been hit in a car, with a full size truck, said car being frame on body, and the truck tore the body off the frame. Not going to happen with the K2500 or that Dakota, as it would be a case of slide under my frame, or contact it, if hit by another light duty truck.

more often than not, my room mate uses the Ellantra to go to and from work, as he drives the furthest, and then he switches back to his Yukon in the winter. We have one car, one van (his girlfriend's), and 3 trucks, 2 of which can haul all 3 of our trailers, and one that we only tow the 7 x 12 2 gate ATV one. both the K2500 and the Yukon are used with the enclosed or the 22 foot car trailer.

now, i'm not saying that the Hyundai isn't safe, as my daughter walked away with a couple scrapes, bruises, and a broken wrist, when some one hit her Hyundai Accent with a minivan broadside at 40 MPH, when they ran a light, and even though the car was bad enough off to have to be taken away on a flat bed, the body structure left the cabin pretty much untouched. I have also seen it go the other way, and a friend's daughter died in WV 10 years ago, when her smaller car was hit by an Explorer, so I do get that it's when and what\how bad, not if, which is why I have owned trucks for the last 20 years instead of cars, for the most part, and most of my cars were former police cars\interceptors.

I'll gladly spend more for gas to keep me and mine safer out on the road.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2017, 03:47 AM   #803

Liked 8039 Times on 4404 Posts
Likes Given: 13731

i'm just a huge fan of really tall lifted trucks. ever had to use a step ladder to get stuff our of the bed of your truck? buy a set of those high dollar tall tires that got ate up just cruising the paved roads? and once you start lifting a truck and putting really tall tires and such on them, components start wearing out quicker. and most people usually just lift a truck for looks, with little or no regard to upgrading the steering and braking systems to account for the lifted state of the truck and larger tires.

start lifting a truck and putting huge tires on it, and it ends up with the aerodynamics of a brick, which kills fuel mileage, not that most 4wd trucks started with any decent fuel mileage to begin with.

nope. those really tall lifted trucks are nothing but huge rolling money pits. BTDT, several times in the past.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #804
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5232 Times on 2814 Posts
Likes Given: 1726

I had a lifted TJ with big tires for a while. I decided that crawling over big rocks was more nerve racking than fun when you are not rich.
People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM   #805

Liked 1553 Times on 931 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

I find 31" tires are just fine with me... My Wrangler with 33"s is a bit big but hopefully I wont have it too long...

All the autos I like are deathtraps so Ive pretty much accepted Ill probably be maimed or killed in a serious accident...

dango Likes This