thin blue line sticker on personal cars - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > thin blue line sticker on personal cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Have I let fellow LEOs off for minor traffic infractions? Yes. Have I issued citations to fellow officers? Yes. Have I taken fellow officers to jail for DWI and family violence? Yes. Non-officers have gotten the same treatment, maybe not proprtionately.

The thin blue line stickers as well as other LE related "support" stickers (Troopers association , etc) have been used by BG's for "camoflage" to help them with their criminal acts (drug couriers especially). I am suspicious of such stickers.
Now this is just my opinion...

I would ABSOLUTELY expect that DWI, domestic violence, etc would warrant arrest...no matter WHO you are. But traffic tix? I know some will disagree with me here but, I have a very good friend that is LE, and while I give him a hard time about having a "get out of a ticket" card to play, that it's "not fair"...he knows I'm kidding. Mainly because these guys depend on one another, and it seems logical to let slide a minor ticket for someone that at any given time is willing to risk their own ass to save another's. I have ZERO problem with an officer letting another slide on a traffic stop. Frankly, I don't feel that the occasional off-duty Trooper in his POV doing 10 over poses the same risk to other traffic as say, a 17 year old. As far as the LEO bashing, please see my earlier reply to scubie. Or my reply in the "search" thread.

EDIT:
The "LEO bashing" comment was directed at the general tone the thread was taking, not you specifically, Robo....

Last edited by Chandler51; 01-08-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #22

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Something to think about with the traffic tickets, many cops are trained in high speed driving.

Its the LEOs dependents getting out of a ticket for a sticker or "pass phrase" that I have an issue with.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Something to think about with the traffic tickets, many cops are trained in high speed driving.

Its the LEOs dependents getting out of a ticket for a sticker or "pass phrase" that I have an issue with.
Yeah...that might be a different argument for sure...

Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #24

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

I'm sure leo's get a lot of breaks, but I'd say it's the same in just about any carrer field (look at congress ).
I have to say, in my years of driving I've either been let off of tickets or given a much smaller fine than what was due simply by being courteous.
In all my years of driving, I was only given one ticket that I didn't deserve. That was at a Thanksgiving weekend speedtrap back in 1974 in a state that shall remain nameless.
Every other one I desereved, wether issued or not.
I even had Wash. D.C. cop let me off one time because as he said-"I usually take it easy on a guy who's nice if I've just had to deal with an A.H.".

Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Believe it or not, there are agencies that have a reputation for not giving breaks to anyone regardless. I was taking a counter terrorism class in New Mexico and we all had rental cars as the training facility was 75 miles away from the airport. We were adamantly warned during orientation not to violate any traffic laws as the NMSP would not cut breaks to anyone regardless of what credentials you carried. The Ohio Highway Patrol also has a rep for ticketing anyone. I'm sure the full list is long and distinguished.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
Believe it or not, there are agencies that have a reputation for not giving breaks to anyone regardless. I was taking a counter terrorism class in New Mexico and we all had rental cars as the training facility was 75 miles away from the airport. We were adamantly warned during orientation not to violate any traffic laws as the NMSP would not cut breaks to anyone regardless of what credentials you carried. The Ohio Highway Patrol also has a rep for ticketing anyone. I'm sure the full list is long and distinguished.
Well, I would hope that you guys have that list, and that upon presentation of THEIR credentials, reciprocity is the rule.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #27

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I'm sorry, but that logic doesn't fly. The consequences of a wreck can be tragic to everyone involved including a speeding off-duty LEO. If I get a ticket, it changes my behavior on the highway for a long time. The last time I got a ticket I was going 96 in a 70 on an open highway when I had someplace to be. I had no business going that fast and I don't drive that fast any more. If you want to do a favor for a fellow LEO and his family, give him the ticket. The laws of physics don't change just because you are a member of law enforcement.

Even in the line of duty, LEOs need to use appropriate caution when driving in pursuits and responding to calls:

Georgia official: Trooper involved in wreck that killed wife of Braves trainer has been fired - The Washington Post

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 01-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
I'm sorry, but that logic doesn't fly. The consequences of a wreck can be tragic to everyone involved including a speeding off-duty LEO. If I get a ticket, it changes my behavior on the highway for a long time. The last time I got a ticket I was going 96 in a 70 on an open highway when I had someplace to be. I had no business going that fast and I don't drive that fast any more. If you want to do a favor for a fellow LEO and his family, give him the ticket. The laws of physics don't change just because you are a member of law enforcement.

Even in the line of duty, LEOs need to use appropriate caution when driving in pursuits and responding to calls:

Georgia official: Trooper involved in wreck that killed wife of Braves trainer has been fired - The Washington Post

You took what I said out of context. I don't believe that LEO's should get a free pass for speeding. I'm pointing out that at least they are trained (most of them, anyway) in dealing with the nuances of controlling a vehicle at high speeds, but that training most definitely does not extend to their families.

And yes, as your link points out, even with training, no matter how much training has been received, accidents do happen. This is why I am not okay with LEO's getting a free pass on speeding.

You can read some of my other posts as well and find that my views on this are consistent.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 796 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I guess I would feel better about the whole thing if I could remember ever seeing a marked police (city and/or county) car, other than a Highway Patrol unit on patrol, that wasn't in the fast lane traveling 80 or above. Just torques my jaws! All 'police business' doesn't require 'sooner the better' arrival.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36
I guess I would feel better about the whole thing if I could remember ever seeing a marked police (city and/or county) car, other than a Highway Patrol unit on patrol, that wasn't in the fast lane traveling 80 or above. Just torques my jaws! All 'police business' doesn't require 'sooner the better' arrival.
There was a video, I think posted on this forum, of a florida state trooper taking a miami pd officer to jail for speeding. He was off duty, with his uniform shirt untucked, looking like a bag of ass, and driving his patrol car home at, I think, over 120 mph.

No police business, he was on beer thirty business.