Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   They were young and they saved the world (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/they-were-young-they-saved-world-69843/)

downsouth 08-07-2012 05:24 PM

They were young and they saved the world
 
Today marks 70 years since the Marines landed on the beaches of Guadalcanal. This story is a nice tribute to those mostly teenagers that turned the tide of tyranny.


http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/07/70-years-later-wwii-vet-recalls-guadalcanal-campaign/

Dillinger 08-07-2012 05:32 PM

Stand up and remove your covers for a moment of appreciation! God speed Devil Dogs and Thank You one and all!!

JD

ineverFTF 08-07-2012 06:21 PM

If only most teens today had the same ideals and patriotism that they had. Nice post

fmj 08-07-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineverFTF (Post 895967)
If only most teens today had the same ideals and patriotism that they had. Nice post

i think you would surprised at what our teens are capable of...they (thank god) have,as of yet, not been tested.

downsouth 08-07-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj

i think you would surprised at what our teens are capable of...they (thank god) have,as of yet, not been tested.

That is true, I see alot of young people who are "getting it".

fmj 08-07-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 896076)
That is true, I see alot of young people who are "getting it".

FACT!

The two biggest support groups for Ron Paul are military and young people! Many of these youngsters were duped by Osama 4 years ago and these youngsters have "seen" the error of their ways.

Also, lets go back to Nov. Dec of 2001 and how military recruiters couldnt keep up.

NEVER under estimate the youth of this nation. They all seem wrapped up in their X-box 360's and skateboards. But hell, in my misspent 20s, i was wrapped in fast cars, faster women and good whiskey. Werent we all wrapped up in something that made our forefathers (and mothers) shake their collective head at our shenanigans??

I have seen (i have raised/mentored half a doz. 20 somethings, as i raised my oldest, now 22) a core of raw iron in these kids!

ineverFTF 08-07-2012 08:41 PM

I am glad you guys are seeing it. The highschoolers in my area are rich pompous idiots who act like "gangsters" when most of them wouldnt know which way to point a gun.

c3shooter 08-07-2012 11:17 PM

I am seeing some sharp youngsters in the military, and our local high school. Also sharp youngsters at the high schools two of my grandkids attend. Not all, mind you- and at that age, I was dumber than a bag of hammers.

Was at the local Wendy's one evening, the SGT that runs the local Jr ROTC program was in there with 15 of his cadets- sharp, squared away, not slouching around- but still being youngsters. Introduced self to him, complimented the youngsters. You would have loved the grin on his face!

ineverFTF 08-07-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
I am seeing some sharp youngsters in the military, and our local high school. Also sharp youngsters at the high schools two of my grandkids attend. Not all, mind you- and at that age, I was dumber than a bag of hammers.

Was at the local Wendy's one evening, the SGT that runs the local Jr ROTC program was in there with 15 of his cadets- sharp, squared away, not slouching around- but still being youngsters. Introduced self to him, complimented the youngsters. You would have loved the grin on his face!

Well i am glad to hear that there are in fact good teens. I have a buddy who was in the rotc program said he loved it.

fmj 08-08-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineverFTF (Post 896386)
Well i am glad to hear that there are in fact good teens. I have a buddy who was in the rotc program said he loved it.

Teens and early twenties even what can you expect? Were YOU a squared away top notch human at that point in your life?

I KNOW i was about useless as tits on a boar. But thankfully i had good men to shake their collective head, sigh and point my sorry arse in the right direction.

This is now our job as doddering old fools...shake our heads, chuckle at our own "misdeeds" of the ancient past and try to nudge the youth in the correct direction.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.