Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > they sure know their stuff at Gander Mountain!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default they sure know their stuff at Gander Mountain!

well, maybe not so much.....

I stop at a Gander Mtn near my gun club for targets and ammo. Yesterday, I was in no particular hurry, so I thought I'd window-shop a few rifles.

I asked the young gentleman behind the counter if I could take a look at AK47 (pointing to the rack where one was held). He handed me this:

I let him know that was not an AK47, and he immediately turned, put the HK away and handed me this:

I am NOT kidding about this. I leaned over the counter a bit this time and pointed towards the AK and suggested that he grab 'the one with the wood stock'.

The young man explained that I had confused him a bit and he was not sure which 'AK' I was talking about (they only had one in stock)

I got a bit of a chuckle out of this, but also think it is tragic really. If you work the gun counter at (what I believe is now) America's largest gun dealer, and you don't know a damn thing about the products you are selling.......well, I guess it should be no surprise when the dang media gets it wrong.......

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Was he deaf? I know this sounds stupid but I have heard people pronounce H&K products Hk ie "lemme see the hk over there" . I am really digging for a reason he did not know what an Ak was.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

He probably watches the news. Everything is an AK, ya know.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 633 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 406

He's Probably young and learning, and the expert was out of the net.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
He probably watches the news. Everything is an AK, ya know.
something like this I believe:
journalists-guide-firearms-ak47-brady-colorado-guns-laws-politics-1343922032.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
something like this I believe:
Yes, pretty much the handout I think that they made up for reporters.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1537 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 7815

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
well, maybe not so much.....

I stop at a Gander Mtn near my gun club for targets and ammo. Yesterday, I was in no particular hurry, so I thought I'd window-shop a few rifles.

I asked the young gentleman behind the counter if I could take a look at AK47 (pointing to the rack where one was held). He handed me this:

I let him know that was not an AK47, and he immediately turned, put the HK away and handed me this:

I am NOT kidding about this. I leaned over the counter a bit this time and pointed towards the AK and suggested that he grab 'the one with the wood stock'.

The young man explained that I had confused him a bit and he was not sure which 'AK' I was talking about (they only had one in stock)

I got a bit of a chuckle out of this, but also think it is tragic really. If you work the gun counter at (what I believe is now) America's largest gun dealer, and you don't know a damn thing about the products you are selling.......well, I guess it should be no surprise when the dang media gets it wrong.......
And some folks wonder why I always ask to see the Kalashnakov.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

This "kid" was probably hired without firearms knowledge (obvious).

When I come on such a situation, I will provide the clerk with a little knowledge.

These are minimum wage jobs, and you would expect someone earning $10 an hour to try to learn subject matter to get a wage increase.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 18 Posts

Hk/ak Easily confused

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20827 Times on 11844 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

i refuse to ever set foot in a Gander Mountain again. the three times i have been in the one closest to me, (about 60 miles one way) the first time i bought my Savage 17 HMR rifle. i told the salesman what i wanted and even gave him the model number of the one on display. he brought out the wrong model and got huffy when i then explained again the model number i wanted. he took it back and brought out another one. right model, but this one had a huge scratch all the way down the stock from what looked from a boxcutter blade. i said i wanted one without a scratch. he said what did it matter as i would probably scratch it up hunting anyways. i asked him if he was going to discount the price becasue of the scratch, he said he couldn't. i said i wanted one without a scratch on it then. he got even huffier! finally got what i wanted. and the thing is, i have never yet to date hunted once with that rifle. nothing but shooting from a bench. which is what i bought it for.

second time, went to buy some reloading books and look at rifles. early afternoon on a thursday and not a lot customers in the store. getting salesman to wait on me to look at some rifles was worse than i could have ever imagined. it was like showing a rifle was asking for too much. how do you sell something to someone if you don't take time to show it off to a potential buyer. the salesman seemed more interested in the private conversation they were having in, than trying to sell merchandise. i found the book selection and found a few books that interested me, bought them and left.

the third time, i was in there looking at pistols. the salesman was very rude. he even actually pissed me off with some of his comments. i was looking at and wanted to handle a couple Colt 1911's that were on display. he said he thought those might be out of my price range and wanted to suggest some cheaper pistols that i might be able to afford. how did this idiot determine how much i could afford? it's not like i was dressed like some bumpkin who just stepped off the tractor and walked into the store, but i wasn't wearing a three peice suit either. i said i wasn't interested in anything but a higher end 1911 pistol. he asked me if i was sure whether i could afford such a pistol. i looked him in the eye and told him i could afford just about any pistol he had in his display case and maybe even more than just one if i was so inclined to buy. i also told him because of his rude manners that he just lost a potential sale. i then left and have never set foot in there again.

i can't and won't tolerate rude behaviour from a salesman. i tend to do business with those who appreciate my business and my money.

clr8ter Likes This