Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > They still wont let Dick Heller register his gun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default They still wont let Dick Heller register his gun!

DC Rejects Handgun Application

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- District residents can start registering their guns today. But at least one very high profile application was already rejected.

Dick Heller is the man who brought the lawsuit against the District's 32-year-old ban on handguns. He was among the first in line Thursday morning to apply for a handgun permit.

But when he tried to register his semi-automatic weapon, he says he was rejected. He says his gun has seven bullet clip. Heller says the City Council legislation allows weapons with fewer than eleven bullets in the clip. A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns.

Besides obtaining paperwork to buy new handguns, residents also can register firearms they've had illegally under a 180-day amnesty period.

Though residents will be allowed to begin applying for handgun permits, city officials have said the entire process could take weeks or months.

CLICK HERE to get more information from the Metropolitan Police Department's webiste.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...4036&catid=158

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Someone on another thread about voting made the statement that because of the 'new" legislation prohibiting gun confiscation as a result of the Katrina debacle, that gun confiscation could no longer happen! How naive!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Uh guys, *scratching head* I have been around guns my whole life, and have handled a BUNCH of the stuff out there, but I can't think of a time I came across a semi automatic pistol that was either a SIDE or a TOP loader....

"A spokesman for the DC Police says the gun was a bottom-loading weapon, and according to their interpretation, all bottom-loading guns are outlawed because they are grouped with machine guns"

Every modern firearms manufacturer on the planet currently produces a bottom load magazine pistol with a 10 round, or less, clip capacity. So, according to the brain trust in Washington DC, they are ALL illegal?

Obviously Heller knew he was going to be getting some flack, no matter what he did, after basically tearing down the system, but this is just plain chickensh!t. If the cops were smart about it they would have allowed him to register and then waited for him to screw up and make the news when they caught him doing it, now they just look petty and pathetic - which they pretty much are....

What a crock. I hope he sues the hell out of them again! Let me know where to chip in for the Legal Lawsuit Fund sculker, I'm on board...

JD

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I smell another law suit. This won't stand.

RL357Mag, they can't confiscate what you don't hand over (or which they don't find). And D.C. was not a jurisdiction that passed any such law to deny law enforcement the authority to confiscate firearms from law-abiding citizens. Hell, D.C. is still refusing to acknowledge people have a right to own and carry firearms.

JD, you're using logic based on sound facts. That's foreign territory for the clowns in D.C.

Last edited by bkt; 07-18-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #5

I agree bkt - but that said, show me a semi automatic that is of common production that isn't bottom load? Hell, show me one from the last 50 years for that matter....

My only point was - their opinion is that you can carry a revolver, if I am understanding their interpretation, or you can carry a breach loading pistol.

So, given that criteria - I say Heller and bunch of his friends all buy the biggest damn hand cannons on the planet and wander in to get them licensed.

.454 Casulls, .500's, and T/C's in .45-70/.50-70 - that would get the cops attention. Your vest might stop the 9mm you weren't going to let me carry, but how do you feel about letting me hit you in the chest with a round designed to bring down Elephants??

JD

Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #6

JD when the Grendals were being made they had a top loading 10 round 380 .

Friend had one as his off duty gun in warm weather .

DAO plastic thing was kinda cool , all I hear about them is bad yet the one he had worked great on more than one trip to the range .

The manual suggested using stripper clips for a fast reload .

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I smell another law suit. This won't stand.

RL357Mag, they can't confiscate what you don't hand over (or which they don't find). And D.C. was not a jurisdiction that passed any such law to deny law enforcement the authority to confiscate firearms from law-abiding citizens. Hell, D.C. is still refusing to acknowledge people have a right to own and carry firearms.

JD, you're using logic based on sound facts. That's foreign territory for the clowns in D.C.
BKT you live in NY too. How are you going to explain your way out of handing in your handguns if you haven't claimed them stolen or had them legally transferred to someone else? Long guns are not the concern - when they come for those it'll be all out anarchy.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
JD when the Grendals were being made they had a top loading 10 round 380 .

Friend had one as his off duty gun in warm weather .

DAO plastic thing was kinda cool , all I hear about them is bad yet the one he had worked great on more than one trip to the range .

The manual suggested using stripper clips for a fast reload .
That was something that I did not know - I will have to do some research on that.

That said - They sure aren't making them that way anymore....

JD

Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #9

I know you said in the last 50 years but it still fits the bill. The C96 Mauser.

Feed system 6, 10 or 20-round integral or detachable magazine; 40-round detachable magazines were also made

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #10

Regardless of the few examples we can find this is insane but good for us in the long run .

Remember it was DC that appealed to the Supreme Court NOT Heller , this means the Appeals court agrees with whats right at least to a degree .

All of this means to us that the DC idiots may find themselves getting slapped with a Contempt of court without anything else ever going to the Supremes if they keep refusing to ignore all higher court rulings .

I don't know any judges but if I were an appellate judge and they just thought they could ignore me and the Supreme Court I would do whatever was in my power to show them otherwise .