Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   There's still some hope... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/theres-still-some-hope-16770/)

Franciscomv 08-11-2009 03:26 AM

There's still some hope...

Today, after his morning classes my girlfriend's son Daniel came back home for lunch with a little note from his teacher asking both of us to meet her whenever we could.

The poor kid got he third degree from his mother and assured us that he had done nothing wrong, and he had no idea what the teacher wanted to talk to us about. I found it a bit odd that I was included in the note, since I'm not his father and I always keep my mouth shut at school functions.

Anyway, we figured it would be better to get it over with quickly so we walked him to school and sat down with his teacher and the headmaster.

They explained that the reason they wanted to talk to us was that while the kids were sharing stories about their winter vacations (the winter break just ended) one of the boys told the class about how him and his brother had found a revolver at a creek in their grandfather's farm, a cheap gun probably tossed after a robbery. They were inspecting it and, according to the kid, it just went off.

At that point Daniel replied that guns don't just go off, asked them what they'd done, he even corrected the teacher when she said that the safety was probably off, etc. He goes shooting with me from time to time, and knows basic gun facts (he's 9). I was expecting some sort of complaint about training the kid to be a serial killer or something like that, instead they asked me if I'd be interested in putting together a gun safety class for the rest of the kids.

I was quite surprised by such an uncommon display of common sense. I offered to pay a certified instructor to come teach them, and if the parents give their permission there might even be a possibility to organize a field trip to the range.

I thought I'd share it with you guys. It made me feel really happy, knowing that there are some sane people out there that, while not interested in owning guns themselves are at least willing to be educated about them.

Shotgun Shooter 08-11-2009 03:29 AM

Wow. Thats pretty cool. At least by 9 hes got the "guns dont just go off" in his head.
I wish my school had done something like that.

S.S.

cpttango30 08-11-2009 04:07 AM

Now that right there is good on your part and theirs.

CA357 08-11-2009 04:26 AM

Most excellent and well done. :)

WDB 08-11-2009 06:02 AM

Nice
Need to fill the ten char.....

young gun 08-11-2009 06:16 AM

Thats awesome especially for being nine :D

Ubergopher 08-11-2009 06:44 AM

Scorieo!

9 years old and he's already smarter than some (if not all) in the Brady Institute.

bkt 08-11-2009 10:09 AM

The teacher and headmaster deserve at least a letter of appreciation from you guys. You don't even need to mention firearms...just something positive to keep in their personnel files. These are the sort of people we want to teach our kids!

Great story!

IGETEVEN 08-11-2009 12:19 PM

Great job Francis, I like a story with a positive and educational ending, especially when it comes to dealing with firearms and kids. You and Daniel get four, yes four happy faces for being such positive and responsible examples. :):):):)

Jack

spittinfire 08-11-2009 12:26 PM

Thats awesome! I wish more people would be like minded and realize the value of teaching firearms safety to children.