Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is there such thing as enough guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I am like you - accumulating guns is an easy thing to get into. There are always more interesting guns.

But one aspect is worth thinking about - and that is theft of the guns.
If the word spreads of a potential collection - many "types" of people become interested in "obtaining" those guns. Some of these types can be highly undesirable, unethical people.

Something to consider....

Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #32

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
It is unlikely, but possible, that there MAY be such a thing as enough guns; but there is absolutely no such thing as too many!!!
Holy Crap!!
Massive!

But all autoloaders. Not one revolver!!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #33

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
Well I am a gun collector. I love to collect guns of all makes, models and calibers. I only have 6 guns at the moment. Now I'm buying a new one it's a .30-06 Remington 700. Told my Mom about it and she said you have enough guns. I was like there is never such thing as enough guns. What do you think?
My moto is: You cant be too rich or have too many guns!

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #34

Liked 2183 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Yes.

Oh, wait a minute,

NO!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #35

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
Guns are like potato chips and girlfriends. You cant have just one! Lol
I think those are words to live by

Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #36

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Haha very true.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #37

Liked 562 Times on 442 Posts

difference between collecting and having an array of guns is, collections are designed to find rare pieces and increase value of the collection.

having a selection of guns usually is the result of a need that builds over time. many refer to guns as tools. fine. so youre out in the garage and one night yourealize you need a engine hoist, so, you get one to pull an engine, and then it sits over in the corner for that next job needing a hoist. you throw a carpet over it because odds are, itll be some time. but...you have one.
so, next job comes along and you need a drill press.
and so on.
after many years, you look at your shop and you realize that your shop is pretty well equipped and your tools reflect the kind of work you do.
chain stores completely fill each garage with every possible tool for any possible task based on customers needs nationwide. so, now you have this garage with a mech who doesnt know what 1/2 the tools are for, but by golly, he has them!

guns are the same way. you show me your collection or selection, and i'll tell you who you are.
i can walk into a cabin and see trophy heads mounted and a 30-30 marlin on a rack and figure he's a hunter.
if all his guns have scopes on bolt actions in montana, odds are hes a gopher or elk hunter.
show me a single shot 12ga leaning in a grain barn and i know its for rat control.
take me to a skeet range and the guys all have 40,000.00 krieghoffs, i can tell they are rich kids with nothing else to do but buy fancy guns to show off amongst their friends, who are doing the same thing back trying to out do each other....and they all still miss.

if the purpose of your selection of guns is the result of a need, fine. youre collecting tools as you need them. but to buy guns and just hoard them to say, you have one....has no purpose other than it being an attempt to feed a desire based solely on pleasing the senses or the pleasure of spending money because you can.

by looking at this thread topic...i get the impression im the only one thats cautioning you. as the old saying goes, a fool and his money shall soon part.
and with all this hype over shtf, its gonna be funny watching some of you carry an entire armory out of the battle zone on your backs! aint happening. so what happens? youre stuck defending your armory. immobile? ahhh yes, ask the french about that.
you end up abandoning all of it save for a few. congrats, you just gave your collection away to a mob.

choose wisely, take care of them, you may have something later on. buy to just buy?....maybe moms right.

and for gods sake bro, if your mom is involved in voicing opinions.....what the heck are you doing? wheres your apartment or your own home where moms dont get to say anything about what you do?

so tell us, what do those 6 guns represent? what do we see when we see your guns? someone just spending money on cool guns or someone who is using them to build up a tool box for real use someday?
just trying to give you insight. its not a rag on ya.
the whole world wants in your pocket. make em work for it.

im going to share a valuable tip with you. if you can say to yourself, "there will always be another," and walk away from a gun you really like, you are in control.
but, if you treat every gun you see like its the last one on earth, youre addicted and have enough.

Retired Naval Aviation
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
PM for Details
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 12-10-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Liked 614 Times on 412 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
im going to share a valuable tip with you. if you can say to yourself, "there will always be another," and walk away from a gun you really like, you are in control.
but, if you treat every gun you see like its the last one on earth, youre addicted and have enough.

Not always..... Im still kicking myself for passing up on that Mateba I seen, I coulda had a $3,000 gun for $1,000.. I came home, looked it up, it was gone two days later...

Or my Medusa, I only traded a 870 for. Ive only seen two for sale since I got mine, both were $1,000 +

I will say though, Ive come to the point where I have "enough", and wanting to save up for the guns I really want; A Colt M1911, IHC M1 Garand, GM M1 Carbine..

Is sucks that most the guns I want now are over the $1,000 mark... Really slows down the collecting

Last edited by Trez; 12-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #39

Liked 1000 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 346

The only rule I have about guns is when I forget I own a gun I sell it. If it set in the safe or in a closet so long I forgot it I don't need it. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised when I sell the gun.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #40

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts

Part of my problem is my first lever action. 22 I bought myself isn't worth what I paid for it. The only way to recoup the money would be to rip somebody off in a private sale. So I'll probably give it to one of my children when I have them.