Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Is there such thing as enough guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/there-such-thing-enough-guns-78095/)

Ruger22lr 12-09-2012 04:31 PM

Is there such thing as enough guns?

Well I am a gun collector. I love to collect guns of all makes, models and calibers. I only have 6 guns at the moment. Now I'm buying a new one it's a .30-06 Remington 700. Told my Mom about it and she said you have enough guns. I was like there is never such thing as enough guns. What do you think?

racer_x 12-09-2012 04:39 PM

I dont think so. lol Im wanting to do a 3 piece .45 lc set rifle and 2 ruger sa's

Ruger22lr 12-09-2012 04:42 PM

Haha I know but my family really isn't into guns except my Dad he really doesn't care as long as he gets to shoot them when I buy them.

Overkill0084 12-09-2012 04:42 PM

If your collection results in you being featured on an episode of Extreme Hoarders or the like, then yeah, you probably have enough guns...for now.
Once you find a larger house, though... game on. ;)
Assuming you are a functional member of your community and meet your obligations and otherwise behave responsibly, who cares? People collect all sorts of crap. Does a stamp collector "have enough stamps?" Coin collectors? How about those stupid little dust catchers...I mean... figurines that people collect? Collections are not something done out of need anyway. You "need" food & shelter. You don't "need" a house full of collectable Star Trek memorabilia. If your needs are met, then enjoy yourself.

Ruger22lr 12-09-2012 04:47 PM

Still got enough room for them. And I do have enough to pay for everything I need to live such as food etc. Only thing that might be a room issue is the safe it's too small :p

bluez 12-09-2012 04:48 PM

yes,

becxause buying too many guns gets in the way of buying ammo.

You are much better off w/ say: 2 same type guns (AR's AK's whatever) and some spare parts for a total of $2k in guns plus 30,000 rds. than 20 guns and 1000 rounds (which approximates the same $$.

Also invesitng in quality sights is also harder if one keeps buying more guns.

So in summary, yes, you CAN have too many guns as the expense will get in the way of maintaining optimum combat power via more Ammo and high end sights.

But i understand its fun to buy guns :)
I am not completly rational in my setup too.

Axxe55 12-09-2012 04:51 PM

for a collector, there is always going to be another to add to the collection.

when asked if i have enough guns, my response is, "i am always two shy of enough!"

and by who's standards is enough, enough?

my personal collection is made of firearms i enjoy shooting. so more than likely, i will never own collectors items or museum quality firearms. i buy what i would want to shoot. there are certain criteria i use in making a purchase. accuracy is usually one of the most defining, especially when looking at rifles. pistols for me have different criteria, such as for what use they might be used for. about the only pistols that are really my collector items are the 1911's, but they are shot more than most of the other pistols.

Ruger22lr 12-09-2012 04:58 PM

Yeah I just like to collect all types of guns basically when I go into a gun shop and see a gun I like I spend a while looking at it asking questions about it then buy it.

trip286 12-09-2012 05:05 PM

If you collect for collecting's sake, then no. There is no such thing as enough guns.

I would love to collect, but funds don't permit. Therefore, I have enough. Self defense handgun, and a rifle to reach out.

bobski 12-09-2012 05:07 PM

6 guns? youre not a gun collector. youre just starting.
and trust me, if your mom is telling you you have enough guns.....you do.

and you my friend are what keeps the gun industry in business. they look for your kind every day to walk blindly into their store with a wad full of doe.

i collect guns. i collect them until i find a reason not to anymore and sell them. can you sell your guns if you had to? if not, youre not a collector. collectors trade guns like coins. always upgrading.

if all you do is get 1 of every kind to be able to say, i got one of them, youre just window shopping.

if you can forecast which ones will triple in value in 5 years, THEN youre a collector.

im saying this to give you insight. you have 6 guns. thats it. its not a collection. its a variation.

when you have 40 of one make and model, thats collecting.

the difference between collecting and an uncontrolled desire for guns is what is known as an addiction. its a form of hoarding.

and in a capitalist society, its very easy to fall prey to the lust of the eyes. having guns is a responsiblity. having a lot is a task that can consume you. be careful and pace yourself.