Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Is there a mechanic in the house? Help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Default Is there a mechanic in the house? Help!!!

I have a 1992 Ford F150 with the 4.9 liter I-6 and a 5 speed manual transmission. While at my MIL's house today, I pushed in the clutch pedal, heard a sickening crunching\popping type sound, and my clutch pedal is now stuck halfway through it's travel range. I push on it, and it will not go all the way to the floor. I lift it up by hand, and it sinks back down to the halfway point.Long story short, I had to call my uncle to come down and pick up my wife and myself, and my truck got a ride home on the neighbor's flatbed wrecker ( I am still thanking him for the free tow, he did me a serious solid!). Do any of you have an idea as to where and what I will need to check to hopefully find the source of the problem? It's not that I don't know how to work on cars, it's that I have never encountered this before, and have very few ideas where to start searching for the problem. The only things I can think of so far are:

1 The master or slave cylender. My wife and I checked the fluid level, and it was good. I will loosen the nuts and bolts and check them on the next dry day.

2 The actuator rod or the return spring on the pedal assembly. It was dark and raining, I couldn't get a good look at it tonight, will try to check it tomorow.

3 Internal damage to internal clutch components. I could check this in the driveway, but I feel sending it to the shop might be a better option as they have a better selection of tools and a warmer, dryer work enviroment.

If any of you guys and girls can think of anything I have missed\not thought of, please let me know. Living in the northeast, this time of year is the end of the motorcycle season, and we are down to one truck until I can afford to fix it\get it fixed (given the fact that I am mediclly retired and on social security, money is very tight). Thanks in advance for your help.

And yes, I do know that FORD stands for fix or repair daily.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Hopefully it's an easy fix like a throw out bearing, cheap but not real easy to get to, you have to take the transmission down and see if it's worn out. I am not a mechanic but I have been into a Ford 1967 manual transmission. It rides on a fork and allows clutch plate and pressure to engage or disengage. Work the linkage to the transmission and see if a cotter pin broke off someplace.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 123 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds to me like the clutch pressure plate gave up. See if you can pull the clutch slave cylinder and get a look in there. If you have the tools, it's not that difficult to do a clutch, especially on that truck. Get some friends, buy a couple pizzas and have at it. Most auto parts store carry exchange flywheels, which is great as there is less down time. Good luck and if you were close I would be willing to give you a hand.

Brian

Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Thanks for the input guys. I crawled under the truck today and pulled the slave cylender. Yep, the pressure plat took a sh!t on me. Got a buddy with a trasmission shop who is willing to let me do the work on one of his lifts next weekend. All it will cost me is the tow to get it there, the parts, (clutch kit and rear main seal, better to do it now as long as I'm in there anyway) , some sweat equity on my part, and lunch for him and his son. I think I'll smoke one or two of the steelheads my wife and I caught last week and spring for a pizza for them. I'm lucky to have friends in the business. Thanks again.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

tri70 Likes This