Are there any guitarists here?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are there any guitarists here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Are there any guitarists here?

im just curious because is so i need a little help. is there any tricks to changing between chords other than practice because i have been practicing for six and im not getting anywhere.(plus im curious who all on here plays)

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Last edited by canebrake; 05-20-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy1997 View Post
im just curious because is so i need a little help. is there any tricks to changing between chords other than practice because i have been practicing for six and im not getting anywhere.(plus im curious who all on here plays)
Assuming you've only been playing for 6 months...there are no tricks, shortcuts yes, tricks...not so much...give it time. check out this site...

http://www.freeandeasyguitar.com/

If you start off with root notes (slang)...E, C add 9, most forms of D, you only have to worry about the activity of 2 fingers at a time. Use the site, he gives you tips on easy fretting techniques...Not a guitarist per se, I'm a drummer but I can relate to your frustrations.

If you hit the wall, push away from it for a little while, occupy your time with something else 'til you want to pick it up again...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #3

Liked 635 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

I just pllayed. I didn't want to be or do anything with it, I just fell in love with the sound.

Just find what you love and play it. Look up some tabs for songs that you like.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

What chords are you trying to change between? I'm thinking you are meaning you have been playing for 6months if that is the case all you can do is practice.
I think the best way is to pick 2 or 3 chords and just strum the 1st 4 times then change to the 2 nd and strum 4 times then the 1st again 4 times then the 3rd chord 4 times. Then repeat with the same chords over and over and over till it is second nature.
I like to use A D E for this drill. Once you can do this well try it in the dark or with your eyes closed. If you have any specific questions you can pm me.
I've been playing for about 20 years, helped a few people learn how to play.

Nick

Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I been playing at the guitar for almost 42 years now and still have a hard time. And when I see one of them 15 year olds start shreading on the guitar it just makes me want to stop playing all together.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee470/opaww/LesPaula.jpg

Here is my Les Paul

Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I know THAT feeling...I saw this kid and quit playing for 2 years...he was 8 at the time this was made....freekin' 8!!!!

Nice Les Paul Opaww...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Nice guitar.
I think the key to learning how to play very well is playing with musicians that are better than you, but not so much you are uncomfortable being around. When I was just starting to play I played
With my dad who had been playing with a band since he was 15, he was 42 at that time I was 12. Trying to keep up with him caused me to progress faster much faster. I started with a band
when I was 15. They were older guys and a bit better than me so that made me even better. Then when I was 21 I auditioned for a band and they were the best musicians I have ever played with. Had lots of fun with that band till it broke up.
If you want to get good learn the basics then surround yourself with very talented musicians and you will be amazed at how fast you advance. Join a band and play in front of people. It is the most thrilling and terrifying thing you can do. I have been lucky and preformed in front of some big audiences at festivals and such. Its great fun.
But some of my fondest memories are playing in bars and just having fun.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I bought my first guitar about a week or two ago... Ive always wanted one. I bought a Fender cd-60 and love it! I've just been practicing switching between chords over and over again.. I've already got calluses on my fingers! It's addicting to me!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Congrats on your first guitar. Have fun learning. Just keep at it.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

Liked 189 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Learn to play bass

-Don't have to smush your fingers into awkward positions to play chords, but can still play some chords
-more room to move around, great for people with big hands/long fingers
-sounds groovy/funky...nuff said