Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   then and now.... what has changed....? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/then-now-what-has-changed-12331/)

dicky0331 03-29-2009 06:23 AM

then and now.... what has changed....?

as I sit here drowning bad memories, of those lost brothers of combat, and love..... I wonder where we have failed the greatest generation? how can we sit here and and let others dictate us though our own delusions? how can we live with governing ourselves, by what others think of us? how we can ditch thoses that give us our way of life, and sell them down the river, because it "politicaly" correct. it sickens me how we can sit here and embrace what weakens us from all fronts, and be oblivious how it is rotting us from all fronts!!!!
even though I am young in many eyes, what I have seen in combat has opened my to much more than the eyes of older generations.... to look at many poeople I love, hurts knowing that I can't respect them for their views......

people seem to forget what damage has been delt to us by whom we once considered our enimies, and that we now rely upon and curently are trying to become "allies" with...... we are only hurting our selfs..... and it makes me ashamed to call myself a veteran.

why is it that it takes the death of thousands to open eyes.... in the wars in iraq and afganistan we have lost as many brothers, as in a battle in any other war? instead of pissing and moaning about it we should be happy!

I would gladly give my life over there to protect life here, I am proud of that feat,

why does it seem so hard to to deal with politics, but not the sound of taps.....

WDB 03-29-2009 06:52 AM

A lot of expression some I understand some not so much. What branch of service were you in? What company? where were you deployed for active duty?

Lots of Vets here willing to help

McNabb11b 03-29-2009 07:05 AM

We are sheep. Being a tool is cool. Look at 95% of my generation. We take everything at face value. If we do have an original thought we shun it and pass it of as deranged. We take whatever is feed to us as gospel and ask for more. There is comfort in the herd mentality. We won't stand up for what is right because it is inconvenient. We won't think for ourselves because we don't have to, it is too much work. We have become slaves to our television and parrot whatever we see with as fanatical zealotry as the extremists of Islam. The Coca Cola generation. Image is everything.
I could go on for pages on this one. The fact that our children are raised no longer by parents, but by for the most part, complete strangers in the school systems. We have been systematically trained to be cattle, spineless, gutless cattle. This mindset has been integrated into every aspect of our lives and we do not care. I am afraid that this has been taken so far that if there was a time for Americans to stand up for themselves, they would not out of fear of discomfort.
We have taken this philosophy to the extreme and by doing so we have strangled and poisoned the spirit of the American people so that it is no longer great but distorted and ugly.
I fear for the future of the United States. The only comfort from this is the fact that I have the ability to know and talk to honest good people many of whom frequent this site, many of whom I serve with, and many of whom I simply run into with the good will of God.
Rant off/

WDB 03-29-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNabb11b (Post 88532)
We are sheep. Being a tool is cool. Look at 95% of my generation. We take everything at face value. If we do have an original thought we shun it and pass it of as deranged. We take whatever is feed to us as gospel and ask for more. There is comfort in the herd mentality. We won't stand up for what is right because it is inconvenient. We won't think for ourselves because we don't have to, it is too much work. We have become slaves to our television and parrot whatever we see with as fanatical zealotry as the extremists of Islam. The Coca Cola generation. Image is everything.
I could go on for pages on this one. The fact that our children are raised no longer by parents, but by for the most part, complete strangers in the school systems. We have been systematically trained to be cattle, spineless, gutless cattle. This mindset has been integrated into every aspect of our lives and we do not care. I am afraid that this has been taken so far that if there was a time for Americans to stand up for themselves, they would not out of fear of discomfort.
We have taken this philosophy to the extreme and by doing so we have strangled and poisoned the spirit of the American people so that it is no longer great but distorted and ugly.
I fear for the future of the United States. The only comfort from this is the fact that I have the ability to know and talk to honest good people many of whom frequent this site, many of whom I serve with, and many of whom I simply run into with the good will of God.
Rant off/

Wow that is a truly ugly expression of the 95% you speak of and while I respect your opinion I truly believe that you are selling most americans short. It might be ideal to believe only 5% have a mind to fix whats broken and the rest are cattle or sheep (I've heard the same from so many). I'm a retiered Marine, my farther, my grandfarther and my great grandfarther were Marines and my son is now a Marine. Four generations here to tell you we are not part of the 5% you ramble about but true American's like the most of the 95% you discount as sheep/cattle. As soon as that 5% you speak so highly of do a full TOD in a war zone let me know. From what I know most of that 5% hasn't stepped up, if they did they would understand what it is to defend a nation and not disrestect it by calling the people sheep/cattle.

My favorite statement you made is "We have become slaves to our television and parrot whatever we see with as fanatical zealotry as the extremists of Islam" At best that is mindless thought to incite the 5%, I'd ask you to explain that but I expect it but the response would be another 5% rambling that included an odd reference like we are a Mc Donalds Generation....I do like the 1/4 pounder with a coke does that make me a sheep or a cow?

McNabb11b 03-29-2009 08:38 AM

I think that it was Coca Cola that had an advertisement slogan that said "Image is everything."
I am also a soldier, so don't sell me short on that one.
You are definitely included in that five percent.
I did attribute those that serve as part of that five %.
The point that I was trying to make was that what had made America great has been eroded. We are selling our character for convenience. Our grandparents were not sheep. They thought for themselves, drove forward through hard times to create industry, build a nation and live by their principles. I see so much of that that has gone the way of the Dodo. My generation expects handouts, they expect ease. We are a far cry from our founders.
It makes me sad to even think about it.

McNabb11b 03-29-2009 09:03 AM

Also, That rant was about my generation, people under 30.

dicky0331 03-29-2009 06:35 PM

I am sorry about the rant I went on there..... what I was getting at was I can't stand how our country has seemed to have lost some of the "drive" it use to have. and I apoligize for being a little hard to understand, I admit I had had a few to mant when I posted.

dicky0331 03-29-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 88528)
A lot of expression some I understand some not so much. What branch of service were you in? What company? where were you deployed for active duty?

Lots of Vets here willing to help

I was in 1/8 charlie co. weapons plt. I was deployed to iraq, in the battle of fallujah, an extension, and a med float.

WDB 03-31-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicky0331 (Post 88690)
I was in 1/8 charlie co. weapons plt. I was deployed to iraq, in the battle of fallujah, an extension, and a med float.

Wow that makes no sense at all:confused:

ladyM 03-31-2009 05:54 AM

Can't agree with you more ! Apathy seems to run rampant throughout
the civilian world of the present. Pride and Honor have been replaced by
ostentatiousness and total lack of responsibility.
Thought I was a redneck with these observations but seems that I am
not really alone. Thanks for putting into words that which I was attempting to suppress. I have never served in combat but rather was,and still am, attached to the USMC by way of the reserves. I served here at home with the SJA/Staff Judge Advocates office from 2001 -2007.
Taps and politics both put a lump in MY throat but for different reasons.
McNabb,we could use someone with your spirited insights to represent us,the suffering few ,in Washington.