That's not a gun!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > That's not a gun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default That's not a gun!

That's not a gun - armed robber foiled by passer-by with an eye for a fake

Kim Arlington

October 21, 2010

John Whitta was walking past a credit union when he saw a masked man inside, holding up the tellers with a replica pistol.

The 62-year-old confronted the bandit, Kevin John Moore, telling him: ''It's no good getting the girls to hurry because you're not getting out the door. You've gotta get past me.''

When Moore tried to run, Mr Whitta crash tackled him to the ground. Another passer-by admonished the pair for fighting, saying: ''Come on, it's Christmas time. Break it up.''

Mr Whitta pointed out that the man had a gun and had just robbed the bank. Two more bystanders helped Mr Whitta subdue Moore until police arrived.

"I saw he had a black-and-brown-coloured replica,'' Mr Whitta later told police. He was familiar with firearms and ''realised it was a plastic replica straight away''.

Moore had bought the pistol from a toy shop in Queensland for $2 and, in December 2008, used it to hold up credit unions in Lennox Head and Tweed Heads.

During the first robbery, one of the tellers had wondered if it was a real gun, but had not been prepared to take any chances. The second hold-up was foiled by Mr Whitta.

At the time, Moore was on parole in Queensland, having served a seven-year jail term for a violent armed robbery.

South of the border, his choice of weapon helped secure a cut in his sentence when he appealed against his maximum 15-year jail term.

Moore, 55, pleaded guilty in the NSW District Court to two counts of armed robbery.

He was jailed for at least 10 years, but argued in the Court of Criminal Appeal that his sentence was excessive.

His minimum term was longer than those handed down in three earlier cases where the offenders had used real firearms - a shortened rifle, a 12-gauge self-loading shotgun and a pistol - during robberies.

Under NSW legislation, imitation firearms are considered dangerous weapons.

But Justice David Davies said it was appropriate to consider armed robberies on an escalating scale of seriousness and, given Moore had used a toy pistol in both robberies, his offences were at the lower end of the scale.

''Further, he used no actual violence against the persons at whom the toy pistol was pointed,'' he said.

The appeal judges quashed Moore's sentence, saying it seemed ''significantly out of line'' with comparable cases.

They re-sentenced him to an effective term of 12 years, with an eight-year non-parole period.

Armed robber of credit union foiled by passer-by

Now that IS awesome; what are the chances that someone passing would know it was a toy in the heat of the moment? Most would probably err on the side of caution like the sceptical teller.

Could be why QLD is planning on demanding licences for toy guns though. As if that's going to work any better than it does with criminals using real firearms now

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Coulda been a lot worse for the bad guy.

Many (including cops) might have shot him dead (and justifiably so). He would have been another dead person evoking a gun fight with a phony gun. God was looking out for the crook when the toy store owner was the one who subdued him.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm sure those he held at toy gun point feel so much better. Honestly I'm sure their traumatic experience would have been much worse if he had used a real gun.

Is the judiciary on IDIOT PILLS!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Now that IS awesome; what are the chances that someone passing would know it was a toy in the heat of the moment? Most would probably err on the side of caution like the sceptical teller.
Well, that is a good arguement against the gun bans; people won't be able to discern toys from real firearms. What the passerby had been wrong in ignorance and had been killed.

I do recall a guy who went down for "armed robbery" in the next county when he used a BB pistol to rob a bank (an air gun).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Armed robbery includes the impression that the robbed has of the type of force used by the robber.

Real/fake doesn't matter as much as the intent to deceive and the victims' successful deception.

Just like attempted murder and successful murder does--and should--have the exact same penalty.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Well, that is a good arguement against the gun bans; people won't be able to discern toys from real firearms. What the passerby had been wrong in ignorance and had been killed.

I do recall a guy who went down for "armed robbery" in the next county when he used a BB pistol to rob a bank (an air gun).

This is one of the reasons given why airsoft is illegal here, orange. That people could possess extremely realistic-looking 'guns' and do hold ups etc with them. So, cracking down on plastic toys is the "logical" conclusion

Of course, the whole situation might be helped if those convicted of firearms offences had the damn book thrown at them for a change...my preference is for 15-20 min, no parole, no questions asked. Then see how many 'repeat offenders' you get.

I get sick of hearing about the latest Middle Eastern family drug gang-war/bikie 'altercation' where multiple illegal weapons are found and they get friggin bail! (oh not licensed either, who would have thought?)

If *I* was found to have some "irregularities" in my safe-storage/transport arrangements you can guarantee I wouldn't get off with a slap on the wrist - it'd be 'let's make an example of this licensed so-called sporting shooter...and while we're at it, let's tighten up the laws!' again lol

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Newest Threads

why