Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Thank God for this time in our lives!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thank God for this time in our lives!

Thank God for this time in our lives!

Our sons want to grow up, be like Dad and make their own decisions. He’s just like I was at his age – interested in everything Dad likes, ready to tag along but he wants you to know he’s growing up. He knows things and feels you should know them too. Thank God for this time in our lives!

My son quickly developed past the pellet gun, and the .22lr, wanting to shoot whatever Dad was carrying that day. So I safetied the Bushmaster AR-15 and let him hold it. The weight of the barrel was too much and I had to prop his arm up to keep him from burying the barrel in the dirt. I knelt down behind him wrapping my arms around and providing what I anticipated would be a much needed backstop.

Once again, we talked through how to aim, the importance of keeping the rifle in his shoulder and to slowly squeeze the trigger. He was excited but paid attention to every word even repeating back to me my favorite saying, “It’s not about pulling the trigger, it is about hitting your target!” Talk about one of those proud Dad moments …

Expectantly I switched off the safety and waited for him to let out his breath. I knew one shot from the .223 recoil would surprise my eight year old into handing me back the rifle and saying “Hey Dad, that was cool and all, but why don’t you shoot it some more.” At least, that is what I expected.

Instead, my son discovered the joy of semi automatic fire. As I held on to both the rifle and him, he squeezed off round after round with the biggest smile I believe I had ever seen. Ten to twelve shots later, I wrestled the Bushmaster away and with surprise all over my face, I looked to see his reaction.

”Hey Dad! Need me to load up another magazine!?!”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

Good Post, .. and brings back some memories.

The AR is one of the favorites of my boys. I am now learning to call this the MSR (or Modern Sporting Rifle *)

As they were growing, I would work with one of them on the firing line, while the other was struggling to load 'his' magazine.
The MSR, provided safe shooting; my young sons could keep the barrel pointed down-range on the target and enjoy multiple shots without having to manipulate a bolt or lever. 30 rounds allowed them an opportunity to understand the shots and 'try better' next time.

Bolt-Open devices help to ensure that the gun is empty and increases safety. After a quick double check, I would let them eject the magazine and show me the gun was safe.

Then my next son, would start his fun.

* MSR thread at http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/moving-away-ar-msr-76567/index3.html#post1019035 has my put on the MSR.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #3

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

That must've been a great! I hope if/when I have kids they are as interested in it as your son is.

-Matt

Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #4

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm wondering though, is this a real story, or another cut and paste from another source?