texting tragedys - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > texting tragedys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

if I had a 16 year old, it would be very simple, drivers license or a texting plan. Their would be no compermise.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default Semper Fi

The best answer yet. When my girl turns 16 ,Im going to do just that .Thanks MR.LEATHER NECK .....THATS WHY MARINES ALWAYS KICK ASS. Simple solution to a major problem. Thanks again for your service .

Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
we already have a law regarding texting while driving. its called inattentive driving. we dont need to outline everysingle pet peeve someone has.

do we need a special law to stop peope from:

eating
drinking
shaving
changing clothes
masturbating (yes ive actually seen a guy on I94 in milwaukee doing this)
getting blow jobs
putting on make up
grooming a pet
getting something out of the backseat
changing diapers
breast feeding

while driving??

i could go on but you get the idea. ive seen stupid people do all that at least once.

just enforce the freekin laws we already got.

our problem isnt lack of laws its lack of follow thru on enforcement when someone hurts another. i would be curious to see how many times that driver has been stopped for traffic violations.
You aren't kidding! I drove a lumber truck for a while and the things I saw riding up and down the highway were amazing.

We don't need more laws we need people to stop and think about what they are doing.

I truely am sorry for your friend, her family and those around her. It's always sad to hear of someone losing their life at such a young age. i will pray for all of those effected.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

While I don't get it, I can't blame it solely on kids.

I'm a supervisor, and I'm constantly chewing on adults who can't seem to get it in their heads that texting in the middle of work is verbotten. These are late 20s, through 40 year olds, and almost exclusively women.

My boss gets on me to get on them, and I ask them the dire nature of their important texts. Usually, stuff along the lines of what they're eating for lunch, or "I'm bored".

It's a ******* phone. You have something that important, call.

"But I'm not allowed to call while I'm working, Benny."

Oh, forgot, you're right. But guess what?

YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO ******* TEXT, EITHER!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #15

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
The cell phone providers must get with auto manufactuers to devise a integrated technology that suspends cell phone texting /receiving text while vehicle is in motion .Said vehicle must be put in'' park'' if it has an auto trans ,''neutral'' with park brake set for standard shift trans.
Don't take this the wrong way but that is the exact logic used to outlaw guns. Just as we say a firearm is a tool, so is a cell phone. Don't blame the tool blame the person using the tool in a negligent or dangerous manner.

Drunk driving causes more fatal accidents than texting, should we also have mandatory breath tests to operate the vehicle? That is being talked about by some governments. I believe there was a thread about it maybe a month ago.

All that said, I'm surprised there is not a smartphone app that disables texting while moving. Our phones are capable of doing that now, the app just needs to be created. How about this as a possible solution. Have an option on smartphones like the Iphone that require bluetooth to be turned on in order to text. Have cars with bluetooth installed have a parental control option that transmits a signal to all phones connected that says the car is not in park so don't allow texting. This would disable texting for the person who most commonly uses the car. Their friends would still be able to use their phones as they are not likely connected to the bluetooth device. I'm not sure if the bluetooth standard would support this but I'm pretty sure it would.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default Thanks

i thank you all for your insights .While there are many different opinions .The best thing is that we ....are still free and can voice them ,be it here or on the town square .The only real solution is for parents to take a moment,minute ,hour ,year .....to get in touch with our kids .To really be a ''parent '' and not a buddy .Teach them the reality of consequences...{good and bad } that come with decision making and responsibility.