texting tragedys
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > texting tragedys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default texting tragedys

A 16yr old east tx girl died from a single car accident,because she was texting /recieving a text while driving .Her truck left the roadway ,overturning ,struck a tree .This young lady was a student at Tatum High School .Her parents,friends,community are devastated .The parents are starting a Grassroots campain to educate people about texting and driving.It 's not just a problem with teenagers,adults are just as guilty .Imo just passing laws against this will not work .The cell phone providers must get with auto manufactuers to devise a integrated technology that suspends cell phone texting /receiving text while vehicle is in motion .Said vehicle must be put in'' park'' if it has an auto trans ,''neutral'' with park brake set for standard shift trans. I have also had a close friend who has lost his leg due to texting driver hitting him ,while he was riding his harley. Sorry this is long ,but I had to vent . thanks P.O.W.G.....pissed off white guy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
A 16yr old east tx girl died from a single car accident,because she was texting /recieving a text while driving .Her truck left the roadway ,overturning ,struck a tree .This young lady was a student at Tatum High School .Her parents,friends,community are devastated .The parents are starting a Grassroots campain to educate people about texting and driving.It 's not just a problem with teenagers,adults are just as guilty .Imo just passing laws against this will not work .The cell phone providers must get with auto manufactuers to devise a integrated technology that suspends cell phone texting /receiving text while vehicle is in motion .Said vehicle must be put in'' park'' if it has an auto trans ,''neutral'' with park brake set for standard shift trans. I have also had a close friend who has lost his leg due to texting driver hitting him ,while he was riding his harley. Sorry this is long ,but I had to vent . thanks P.O.W.G.....pissed off white guy
So if I am a passenger in a car I wont be able to text?

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Default texting

Are your texts more important than a human life ? We can debate all day long .......What if someother texting idiot hits the car you are riding in? Texting drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers ,I think studies show texting and driving is equal to a .25 blood alcohol level ,which is 3 times over the .08 limit in most states

Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Gregs beat me to it.

We don't need more laws, and we don't need nanny cars either. We need parents that teach their kids the right thing.

Why didn't the parents just turn off texting on the phone? That would have saved her life just as if it were a nanny car that blocked me from texting.

What happens if a texter hits my car? If I am still alive and able to beat the living piss out of them well their ass is going to be ringing until the ER doc can surgicaly remove that phone from his/ her ass.

We have laws against drunk driving it doesn't stop them from doing it. We have ignition interlocks that still doesn't stop them from driving drunk. In fact I know that a family was killed 100' from my moms driveway in CA by a person with a ignition interlock and they were drunk blowing a .18 BAC.

So now the car doesn't let you text so they are driving down the road with one had out the window texting like that.

This is just like CA wanting to require EVERY ONE to have an ignition interlock on a new car.

It is sad and tragic but I blame the parents. Why did they not teach their child that driving a car is a major task that you should not be multitasking while doing? Why didn't they turn off the texting on her phone?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

I'm sorry for the family of the young lady. I'm sorry your friend lost his leg.

The one thing we don't need is something else to go wrong on a motor vehicle. I can guarantee you law or no law, disabling device or not, there will be a group of people that will do whatever they have to, including modifying the car, to text whenever they want.

Let's just ban cars, period. No motorcycles either, just too dangerous. No motor vehicles at all should be allowed. Think of all the lives it will save.

Call your Senator and ask them to get this in motion.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

I can't even talk on a phone while driving, and pull over to take an important call.
If I see someone texting while driving, I hit the horn and point to my eyeballs and hope they get the point, if they don't, I think I should have the legal right to put a PIT manuver on them!
Tango is right, no laws needed, just teach your kids some effing common sense!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #7

Default texting

I agree about no new laws ,I also agree to better education by the parents to teach the kids how to be responsible ....I guess there is no easy answer. At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.I think that future generations will lose some associative skills,and will lose the ability to have a conversation...as in some sci fi movies . It's just scary .

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
I agree about no new laws ,I also agree to better education by the parents to teach the kids how to be responsible ....I guess there is no easy answer. At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.I think that future generations will lose some associative skills,and will lose the ability to have a conversation...as in some sci fi movies . It's just scary .
They already have lost associative skills.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

we already have a law regarding texting while driving. its called inattentive driving. we dont need to outline everysingle pet peeve someone has.

do we need a special law to stop peope from:

eating
drinking
shaving
changing clothes
masturbating (yes ive actually seen a guy on I94 in milwaukee doing this)
getting blow jobs
putting on make up
grooming a pet
getting something out of the backseat
changing diapers
breast feeding

while driving??

i could go on but you get the idea. ive seen stupid people do all that at least once.

just enforce the freekin laws we already got.

our problem isnt lack of laws its lack of follow thru on enforcement when someone hurts another. i would be curious to see how many times that driver has been stopped for traffic violations.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #10

Quote:
At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.
Texting is the new Email. Remember when having an Email address was a topic for discussion? When used the right way, it is very convenient. Want to leave a message that is not of immediate concern, a text is perfect.

For example, me to the Mrs. "Stopping at Dave's to get XYZ" Dave's is the gunshop and it turns into a BS session with the locals. She doesn't need to leave a meeting to know that, she can check her phone at lunch of whatever. Enough info is there for her to know why I'm home later than normal.

As far as the technology involved in stopping texts and cell phone calls, nearly impossible without interfering with legit communications. The price the cell phone companies pay for the cell bandwidth is enormous. Fooling with it is not going to go over well.

I'm 44, and have been associated with a lot of technology for a long time. Like everything else, technology, of any type, is a tool. Any tool used by a fool is dangerous.