Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   texting tragedys (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/texting-tragedys-40685/)

powg 04-02-2011 04:35 PM

texting tragedys

A 16yr old east tx girl died from a single car accident,because she was texting /recieving a text while driving .Her truck left the roadway ,overturning ,struck a tree .This young lady was a student at Tatum High School .Her parents,friends,community are devastated .The parents are starting a Grassroots campain to educate people about texting and driving.It 's not just a problem with teenagers,adults are just as guilty .Imo just passing laws against this will not work .The cell phone providers must get with auto manufactuers to devise a integrated technology that suspends cell phone texting /receiving text while vehicle is in motion .Said vehicle must be put in'' park'' if it has an auto trans ,''neutral'' with park brake set for standard shift trans. I have also had a close friend who has lost his leg due to texting driver hitting him ,while he was riding his harley. Sorry this is long ,but I had to vent . thanks P.O.W.G.....pissed off white guy

gregs887 04-02-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powg (Post 477781)
A 16yr old east tx girl died from a single car accident,because she was texting /recieving a text while driving .Her truck left the roadway ,overturning ,struck a tree .This young lady was a student at Tatum High School .Her parents,friends,community are devastated .The parents are starting a Grassroots campain to educate people about texting and driving.It 's not just a problem with teenagers,adults are just as guilty .Imo just passing laws against this will not work .The cell phone providers must get with auto manufactuers to devise a integrated technology that suspends cell phone texting /receiving text while vehicle is in motion .Said vehicle must be put in'' park'' if it has an auto trans ,''neutral'' with park brake set for standard shift trans. I have also had a close friend who has lost his leg due to texting driver hitting him ,while he was riding his harley. Sorry this is long ,but I had to vent . thanks P.O.W.G.....pissed off white guy

So if I am a passenger in a car I wont be able to text?

powg 04-02-2011 08:44 PM

texting

Are your texts more important than a human life ? We can debate all day long .......What if someother texting idiot hits the car you are riding in? Texting drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers ,I think studies show texting and driving is equal to a .25 blood alcohol level ,which is 3 times over the .08 limit in most states

cpttango30 04-02-2011 10:00 PM

Gregs beat me to it.

We don't need more laws, and we don't need nanny cars either. We need parents that teach their kids the right thing.

Why didn't the parents just turn off texting on the phone? That would have saved her life just as if it were a nanny car that blocked me from texting.

What happens if a texter hits my car? If I am still alive and able to beat the living piss out of them well their ass is going to be ringing until the ER doc can surgicaly remove that phone from his/ her ass.

We have laws against drunk driving it doesn't stop them from doing it. We have ignition interlocks that still doesn't stop them from driving drunk. In fact I know that a family was killed 100' from my moms driveway in CA by a person with a ignition interlock and they were drunk blowing a .18 BAC.

So now the car doesn't let you text so they are driving down the road with one had out the window texting like that.

This is just like CA wanting to require EVERY ONE to have an ignition interlock on a new car.

It is sad and tragic but I blame the parents. Why did they not teach their child that driving a car is a major task that you should not be multitasking while doing? Why didn't they turn off the texting on her phone?

bgeddes 04-02-2011 10:23 PM

I'm sorry for the family of the young lady. I'm sorry your friend lost his leg.

The one thing we don't need is something else to go wrong on a motor vehicle. I can guarantee you law or no law, disabling device or not, there will be a group of people that will do whatever they have to, including modifying the car, to text whenever they want.

Let's just ban cars, period. No motorcycles either, just too dangerous. No motor vehicles at all should be allowed. Think of all the lives it will save.

Call your Senator and ask them to get this in motion.

Gordo323 04-02-2011 10:35 PM

I can't even talk on a phone while driving, and pull over to take an important call.
If I see someone texting while driving, I hit the horn and point to my eyeballs and hope they get the point, if they don't, I think I should have the legal right to put a PIT manuver on them!
Tango is right, no laws needed, just teach your kids some effing common sense!

powg 04-03-2011 02:46 AM

texting

I agree about no new laws ,I also agree to better education by the parents to teach the kids how to be responsible ....I guess there is no easy answer. At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.I think that future generations will lose some associative skills,and will lose the ability to have a conversation...as in some sci fi movies . It's just scary .

doctherock 04-03-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powg (Post 478085)
I agree about no new laws ,I also agree to better education by the parents to teach the kids how to be responsible ....I guess there is no easy answer. At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.I think that future generations will lose some associative skills,and will lose the ability to have a conversation...as in some sci fi movies . It's just scary .

They already have lost associative skills.

JonM 04-03-2011 04:41 AM

we already have a law regarding texting while driving. its called inattentive driving. we dont need to outline everysingle pet peeve someone has.

do we need a special law to stop peope from:

eating
drinking
shaving
changing clothes
masturbating (yes ive actually seen a guy on I94 in milwaukee doing this)
getting blow jobs
putting on make up
grooming a pet
getting something out of the backseat
changing diapers
breast feeding

while driving??

i could go on but you get the idea. ive seen stupid people do all that at least once.

just enforce the freekin laws we already got.

our problem isnt lack of laws its lack of follow thru on enforcement when someone hurts another. i would be curious to see how many times that driver has been stopped for traffic violations.

bgeddes 04-03-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

At 46 ,I guess im ''old school ''when it comes to technology ,I think texting is stupid anyway.
Texting is the new Email. Remember when having an Email address was a topic for discussion? When used the right way, it is very convenient. Want to leave a message that is not of immediate concern, a text is perfect.

For example, me to the Mrs. "Stopping at Dave's to get XYZ" Dave's is the gunshop and it turns into a BS session with the locals. She doesn't need to leave a meeting to know that, she can check her phone at lunch of whatever. Enough info is there for her to know why I'm home later than normal.

As far as the technology involved in stopping texts and cell phone calls, nearly impossible without interfering with legit communications. The price the cell phone companies pay for the cell bandwidth is enormous. Fooling with it is not going to go over well.

I'm 44, and have been associated with a lot of technology for a long time. Like everything else, technology, of any type, is a tool. Any tool used by a fool is dangerous.