Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Texting & driving......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Texting & driving......

Seen a car hit a truck in the back-end and the girl was Texting as she was Driving...Not a bad crash but I think as a Motorcycle Rider there should be a law No Texting as you drive....What do you think ???.........?????.......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

I think there is one in place here...(texting) A LEO was hit and killed by someone who was talking on a cell during a traffic stop a few years back. The state tried to make that illegal too but the proposal died in the house/senate...wherever good ideas go to be ignored...

My general thoughts, a law against it is great, I'm all for it but it's just not going to stop people from TWD...most people are stupid...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

It is illegal in Colorado. But you always see stupid fools doing it anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

They're making it illegal here in Ky I hear. It really is a shame that a law is needed for this. I mean it's just plain stupid!! I'm one o the most lazy people I know and I can pull over to look at a txt message. Hell,, I do that for a phone call My wife loves to text me if she knows I"m going to s store so I can get something other than what I was going for or to go to a whole different store. Cells are great but there is jut no place for them in your hand or looking at the screen when yo are driving.And they say guns are evil. I just wonder how many people have been hurt or killed by cell phone driving compared to gun violence.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I was off duty one night and me and my wife were coming back from a night out. We were behind a little toyota celica that was swerving "erradically" all over the road, sometimes going into one ditch, back on the road and into the other ditch. To me it was clearly the "worst" case of drunk driving that i have ever seen. I called one of my partners that was on duty and he was ready to intercept the driver once we were inside our county. i continued to follow the car,which was still swerving and nearly causing head on collisions. Once inside the county my partner conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle. To my surprise the driver wasnt drunk at all, it was a stupid teenage girl driving back from a friends house. She was texting the entire way and clearly had blatant disregard for anyones safety. It amazes me that out of the numerous close calls that she had, none of it deterred her from continuing to text. The girl was given a $500 citation for wreckless driving.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
Seen a car hit a truck in the back-end and the girl was Texting as she was Driving...Not a bad crash but I think as a Motorcycle Rider there should be a law No Texting as you drive....What do you think ???.........?????.......
Here in PA, that law went into effect this week.
As a fellow rider, this caused an issue for me last week when i almost broadsided a car that pulled out in front of me.

I was passing a high school when a girl pulled out of a parking lot AFTER she looked right at me and averted her eyes back to her phone then continued to pull out in front of me.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
As a fellow rider, this caused an issue for me last week when i almost broadsided a car that pulled out in front of me.

I was passing a high school when a girl pulled out of a parking lot AFTER she looked right at me and averted her eyes back to her phone then continued to pull out in front of me.
Man really car people don't need another reason to NOT pay attention to bikes. I remember riding before there where cell phones and was bad at times then. Being someone that used to ride I keep an eye out for riders. Most people that have never rode usually never see a bike on the road. Adding a cell just compounds it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

I nearly broadsided a vw passat today with a frieghtliner classic and im sure he was texting. After i nearly drained my airtanks with a loooooong blast of the airhorn the prick flipped me the bird....mad

In a big truck i see it all day long...among other things...

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 03-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It is illegal in many places. I have enough trouble texting and walking at the same time; there is no way I would ever attempt it while driving, whether it was legal or not.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nevada just passed a no texting or cell phone use while driving, effective 1 Jan 2012. Hands free devices aren't affected by this law. Should be though. ANY distraction while driving (includes running your mouth yakking at a friend or S.O.) takes your mind off what you're supposed to be doing......driving.