Temperance Thread - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Temperance Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

to drink, or not to drink. that is the question.

whether a person decides to drink or not is a personal choice that they have to make on their own. quite frankly, i don't believe it to be anyone's business to make that decision for another person.

personally i don't care if a person drinks to the point of falling down drunk, or passing out, or praying to the porcelain Goddess because they overdid their drinking. as long as they are not infringing or endangering me or my loved ones.

when anyone drinks to the point they are impaired and start driving a vehicle, or going to work drunk or hungover, then i have a huge problem with such behaviour. until that point, i really don't care.
LoniJo Likes This 
Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #42

Liked 206 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 184

There are too many people today that are addicted to controlling other peoples lives. I think some moderation among reformist would be useful.
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7268 Times on 4017 Posts
Likes Given: 7047

1 Timothy 5:23

Viewing the King James Version. Click to switch to 1611 King James Version of 1 Timothy 5:23.

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Cambridge Edition

Nuff said!

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

People Like This 
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3795 Times on 2599 Posts
Likes Given: 1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
There are too many people today that are addicted to controlling other peoples lives. I think some moderation among reformist would be useful.
There has to be control addiction. Seriously... Everything else has been cataloged, including food and sex.
CaptMidnight Likes This 
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #45

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Alcohol is not a problem. The bible doesn't speak of alcohol as a problem. But the bible does address excess and greed as problems.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #46

Liked 984 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 795

I drink 1/2 gallon of whiskey a week. Have for 40 years. I love it and don't drink and drive anymore. Not in years. If alcohol causes you problems quit. Otherwise it's your business.
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2211 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

99 bottles of beer on the wall!!!!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 90 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 133

My husband is a recovering alcoholic. When we got married he was a fun drunk and we both drank...a LOT! As he began to get mean, my interest in drinking dwindled. About 7 or 8 years ago, he thought it was time to take his anger out on my oldest son ( our boys are his step-sons). I called an immediate stop to it, and took the brunt of his anger that one time only. The next day I gave him an ultimatum...the boys and me, or alcohol. Thank God he chose us, sobered up, and distanced himself from his "friends" who encouraged him to drink. He's a wonderful man, and I'm thankful he chose us. He thanks me often for the life we have now. I thank him for being in our lives.

"Love your enemies. It makes them so darned mad." P.D. East
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #49
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

"Temperance" actually means moderation (the word was hijacked by the so-called "Temperance Movement") and I believe in that. For a long time I drank way too much because of all of the pain in my life. My wife gave me an ultimatum that I had to stop drinking or get the hell out. So I quit drinking for a year. Things actually got worse for me because her abuse continued and I was not numbed to it by the alcohol.

So I left her. Had a couple of beers that night. Right now I only have a beer occasionally. I think I have had three beers in the past month. Might be fewer but certainly is no more. In any case I don't really see the difference other than I don't spend any money on it. Meh. I can take it or leave it. Moderation is the key.
LoniJo Likes This