Tell me if I'm wrong
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tell me if I'm wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Default Tell me if I'm wrong

A couple of days ago on another (lesser) gun forum, one of the vendors put a big splashy notice out for a Memorial Day contest honoring Vets and LEO's. I posted a respectful reply that I thought that Memorial Day was the wrong venue for a contest and that perhaps Veterans Day would be much better suited.

IMHO Memorial Day is strickly to honor our fallen Heros.

BTW just as a point of reference - I flew 109 combat missions and 9 members of my squadron perished over North Vietnam and Laos. My father is buried at Jefferson Barracks.

A few hours later my posted reply went MIA.

Last night I was contacted via a personal message by a forum member (not the vendor) saying that my post was removed for not being in the spirit of the contest. "Inflamatory" was an adjective used by this member. We went back and forth a couple of times regarding their opinion vs. mine. All very respectful from my end.

Next thing I know I am being informed that I am forever banished from this forum.

Am I wrong for believing that Memorial Day is too sacred a holiday to be linked to a vendor contest?

Also, am I wrong to believe that forums should be open to respectful discourse?

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Actually, that's the way I see it too. Memorial day is a day to honor fallen heros, not promote business, or have contests. I also don't see why you were banned. If you were respectful in your posts, then they should not ban you. At least that's how it works over here. The Mods here won't ban you unless they have a good reason.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerfudge View Post
A couple of days ago on another (lesser) gun forum, one of the vendors put a big splashy notice out for a Memorial Day contest honoring Vets and LEO's. I posted a respectful reply that I thought that Memorial Day was the wrong venue for a contest and that perhaps Veterans Day would be much better suited.

BTW just as a point of reference - I flew 109 combat missions and 9 members of my squadron perished over North Vietnam and Laos. My father is buried at Jefferson Barracks.

Last night I was contacted via a personal message by a forum member (not the vendor) saying that my post was removed for not being in the spirit of the contest. "Inflamatory" was an adjective used by this member. We went back and forth a couple of times regarding their opinion vs. mine. All very respectful from my end.

Next thing I know I am being informed that I am forever banished from this forum.

Am I wrong for believing that Memorial Day is too sacred a holiday to be linked to a vendor contest?

I also lost friends in 'Nam and could not agree with you more. I sure can't understand why you would be baned for your opinion as long as you were respectful of others. No excuse for the profanity and name calling that I have seen but pepole think differently on the same subject for many reasons.

Gunner

Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21502 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Elmer, i agree too. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance of those who gave up their lives in service of our country. yes i feel that it was in poor taste for them to have such a contest. Veteran's Day would have been more appropriate a day for such a contest. if you were respectful, no you shouldn't have been banned for stating your reasons and opinion.

i respect others rights to their opinions, whether i agree with them or not. i will state my opinion and the reason i disagree and why i feel their opinion is wrong. but, they still have the right to their opinion even if it differs with mine. i try to show with facts and proof to support my reason for my opinion and why i feel that way about something. but no one should be banned for an opinion.

BTW, thanks for your service. it's very much appreciated.

P.S. this is a much better forum anyways!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Liked 410 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Quote:

thanks for your service,and i also agree with you on this.
i would like to know the forum you speak of so i can keep my distance.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Liked 1094 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Thanks for the service!! That's the problem nowadays. Everybody will use anything and everything to get a leg up in this world!! Any good or bad event someone will try to make money on it!!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1864 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 569

The vendor was probably paying a fee and he threw a fit. That forum is not worth being on. It is their loss not yours. I would like to know which one it was so I could avoid it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

IMHO, Armed Forces Day is for US. Memorial Day is for the folks that can no longer be here with us.

Sorry about your experience "there". And would offer you a toast next time you raise a glass-

"To absent companions".

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Ooh ooh! I know which one! BTW, thank you for your service. In my opinion, that forum is very strict. I keep getting in trouble left and right for pettiness lol

Old 05-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 164 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:

It seems to me that holidays have become days to exploit the public, and therefore all businesses try to drum up more business with their advertising for holidays.

Just take a look at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Sundays.

You probably offended one of the sponsors of the website, an advertisor, and that's why they had to deep-six you. It happens a lot. Not just to you.

There is normally always some underlying commercial advertisement motive to these websites, therefore it is best to let the ads that bother you roll off your back like water off a duck.

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-13-2012 at 06:30 PM.