Tell me if I did the right thing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tell me if I did the right thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

A few months back, after being involved in sports media(for almost 30 yrs.) as a sideline to Coaching & Teaching, I shut down my Website, Radio shows, and other activities I was Involved with, Because two people I Thought were very close friends(one of almost 10 Yrs. and the other since childhood,..45 years) were conspiring to take over my company because they didn't like my Putting "integrity" before Money. I never treated anyone wrongly, but I have a strong will, and refuse to back off my principals when it comes to this stuff. To me, you are only as good as your word. So I walked away, and refuse to deal with those people or anyone who has dealing with them. I just "Unfriended" another of those childhood friends today because he is also working with them. Funny thing is none of These people would be involved at the level they are if not for me. My wife(bless her, she deserves none of this) stood at my side through this whole ordeal for me,..even when they called her behind my back because they wanted her to help them "Ease me" through the transition of giving up my company to them).
I felt I had to do what I did because they were taking shots at my credibility among other things...(because Someone promised me an extra media credential and didn't come through, so my cred. is shot?)
I think i did what i had to do, walk away,...My wife thinks i made a mistake and i just should have continued on with out them,..having kicked them to the curb.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #2

Liked 956 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Yep you did.

USMC 74-78

People Like This 
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #3

Liked 3141 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

in my experience, money + family/friends = BAD

i had to refuse to business with a very good friend on financing our home. he was sorta pissed at the time, but we are still good friends.

i don't even exchange $ with friends in any way. any deals are done through trades....i work on your house, you pay me in alcohol, lap dances () or bullets....not cash. and i also never LOAN money to friends or family...if i can't GIVE it, the answer is NO.

i've seen too many good relationships destroyed by money.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Whether you did or did not "do right" is way secondary to your relationship with your wife. You guys need to have this sorted by a qualified third pary. It will take work and the other will sort itself out.

As one "strong willed" guy to another, keep on keeping on - always too soon to quit.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

I never wanted to Quit,..but i got tired of being the good guy....thanks for your answers!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
in my experience, money + family/friends = BAD

i had to refuse to business with a very good friend on financing our home. he was sorta pissed at the time, but we are still good friends.

i don't even exchange $ with friends in any way. any deals are done through trades....i work on your house, you pay me in alcohol, lap dances () or bullets....not cash. and i also never LOAN money to friends or family...if i can't GIVE it, the answer is NO.

i've seen too many good relationships destroyed by money.
Call the cops you stole my answer!!!

Money and friends are a bad mix...I've lent money to friends in the past and of course problems usually follow...I've reserved myself to the fact that if I ever do lend out money to a friend, to just count on never getting it back, and be pleasantly surprised if and when I do. It'll tell you a lot about the friendship...

If these people are going behind your back, they have NO BALLS...

The right thing for them to do is man up and come to a conclusion face to face...if they can't do that, were they really your friends in the first place? Sucks to think about after all that time but life ain't all roses either...

If staying in would cause you more stress than getting out, then you did the right thing, life is too short...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #7

Liked 4986 Times on 2415 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Whether you did or did not "do right" is way secondary to your relationship with your wife. You guys need to have this sorted by a qualified third pary. It will take work and the other will sort itself out.

As one "strong willed" guy to another, keep on keeping on - always too soon to quit.
I'm with John on this one... As long as your only true partner, your wife, is in your corner, the rest of it is secondary.

I'm not saying you should compromise your principles to please her... but... she does deserve to fully understand the "why."

Tack
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #8

No she is def.behind me. She is the most important person in my life. thanks again....

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1291 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Only you can give away your good name. Not others. If you make your decisions on your good name, and it's value, you can always afford to walk away. Anything else is a bite in the butt down the road.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

DR.

This says loads about your integrity! My Dad always told me if you do not stand for something you will stand for anything. And Integrity and honesty is one to stand for! That is what is wrong with our Country today. People stand for anything! And will not take a stand for integrity and honesty. Well some will not! I have always found out that I do not expect people to always like me but if they at least respect me for being honest and doing what is right who gives a D about the others. There time will come!
So hopes and prayers go to you and your great lady! Being as successful as you have been there is always a new goal to pursue. I have also been up and been down but the Big Man upstairs has always rewarded me with something better in the end no matter how discouraged I was at times. At the present life is good and I have more opportunities than ever and I deserve. I wish the same for you! And believe no doubt it will happen for you if you go after it! Just another hurdle in life which tempers us and makes us better and appreciate what we have!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-15-2013 at 03:38 AM.
People Like This