Tell me about the Kindle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tell me about the Kindle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have an iPad, absolutely love it! But I don't do a ton of reading on it. I liked the fact that I could get on the web, check email, have all the apps and read newspapers, magazines, and books all on one device. However, if your main purpose is reading books you are better off with a Kindle or Nook as the e-ink is better in bright sun and battery life is better.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We have Kindles and have had them for about 2 years or so I guess.

The big advantages are that Whispernet, which is their proprietary service for WiFi, works just about anywhere there is a celltower and is included with the purchase. I even used it to download a new book in Mexico and The Caymans when we were there.

The screen is amazing. You can read it in ANY light and there is no glare or shine or reflection. It was cutting edge when it came out I don't know if it still is or if the Nook has the same feature.

You can "download" the books to your laptop to clear space, but you can't share them out with another Kindle, or least you could not do it the last time we tried.

Great for travel, the airport, or to put in your laptop bag for when you have some spare time.

Battery life is excellent and I haven't had any problems. It fits in a drawer in the master bathroom for "reading time" and you can see pictures if the book has them, but they are in black and white.

I would give the product thumbs up.

JD

Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I got one for Christmas. I was initially underwhelmed. It was a product I had not actually thought about, much less actually wanted. But I have come to like it quite a bit. I have downloaded a bunch of old classics for $0.00. Pretty neat product.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

One other thing about the nooks. Nooks on the same account share books automatically. My books show up on my wife's nook and other way round. We can read the same book at the same time. I prefer the eink nook but the color nook works better for me due to weather.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #25

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

My wife got the Kindle for Christmas. Before she got it, she hadn't read a book for 3-4 years. Since Christmas she has read 3 books and is on her 4th. She absolutely loves it.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #26

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought the Nook right before I went to Afghanistan on my trip in October because I was under strict weight restrictions and pretty much lived out of a ruck sack. I could not bring a bunch of books but knew I would be doing a lot of “hurry up and wait” for flights and such in the AOR. I LOVE THE NOOK, I downloaded a bunch of books and it held up great. I bought the extended service plan ($30 bucks) and in Dec the screen developed a couple of black lines across it that made reading a chore. I called it in; they sent me a new one and a call back number to send the old one in. Problem solved. I would encourage anyone that enjoys reading to go the e-book route. I have a dozen or more boxes of paperback books that are taking up a huge amount of space that I don’t have to worry about with my nook. I also put a 8 Gig micro card in and can now keep up to 10,000 books in my library, that’s more than a lot of library’s have.

Scubie

Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #27

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

I am a talking book fan. Have several books on my Iphone and listen to them on long drives etc. Passes the time and depending on the book you can learn a lot.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
I am a talking book fan. Have several books on my Iphone and listen to them on long drives etc. Passes the time and depending on the book you can learn a lot.
oh thats another thing the nook color has built in speakers with head phone jack and has a talking book feature. it also plays mp3 and mp4 vids

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 AM   #29

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

My wife and I both have a Nook. It's great for vacationing and daily commutes. I never have to carry multiple books with me and if I finish a book while commuting I can start another right away.

We chose the Nook over Kindle because of Epub support. Maryland public libraries rent books in epub format, Kindle does not support that. Protip, if you rent a book from the library and have not finished it beyond the expiration date you can continue reading it until you reconnect your Nook with the computer.

It's true that you can "loan" a book for a nook but only for 2 weeks, and only once per book. However we both share the same Barnes and Noble account so books can be read on either Nook, I believe like the Kindle there is a 5 device limit but I could be mistaken.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I received the Kindle as a Christmas present this year, and am impressed with it. I can get on the net with it, and am told by a co-worker who has one that we can share books. He and his family do.

The only drawback so far is you can only buy from Amazon. It would be good if it could be used with the various bookstores and libraries.

I travel for work, not as often as I used to, but still do. In a never ending search to lose items from my suitcase and computor bag, the Kindle is good. As long as I am in the US or Canada downloading books is easy. If I am going to Mexico or Europe I just have to do so before I go.

The Ipad is nice, but the Kindle is much cheaper, and most of the IPad features I have in my work laptop already.