Tell me about the Kindle - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Tell me about the Kindle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My wife reads a lot outside at night and the temps can get a little cold. Do they have any problems with hot or cold temps? The reason I ask is our cellphone screens won't work if they get cold. And if you would leave it in a car during summer will it be effected?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
My wife reads a lot outside at night and the temps can get a little cold. Do they have any problems with hot or cold temps? The reason I ask is our cellphone screens won't work if they get cold. And if you would leave it in a car during summer will it be effected?
Dont think there would be the same issue here. They also make a light that goes with the cover.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bought one for the wife. I read one book on it, and was hooked, so I bought another one for me. The accessory cover provides the look and feel of a conventional book, and it has a night light for bedtime reading. Both the wife and I are voracious readers, and I never thought that I could give up the feel of a real book. I made the transition immediately.

We have the wireless 3G versions, so when I run out of books, I can get online to Amazon and download another book from anywhere.

I highly recommend the Kindle to anyone who reads alot.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

My kids got me one for XMas and I love it. The adjustable fonts make reading fun again for the first time in years...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #15

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pengie loves the Nook. From what I've read, the Kindle and the Nook are about equal except that, with the Nook, you can "loan" books to other Nook members for two weeks free of charge.

Tell me about the Kindle - The Club House

Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Haven't noticed any compromise with winter or summer temps, but I wouldn't leave it in the car in summer.....why take the chance?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
they arent color that im aware of. ive got the nook color. pretty neat it uses android os. i sometimes post to this site off it when im at work and have time. since i tend to spend a lot of time waiting on people i can carry a large library with me. the kindle i believe only reads one format the nook reads all of them.

the e-ink nook non-color is pretty cheap but its temperature sensative i froze mine to death . replaced it with the color version.
Never understood the advantage of the Nook with color screen. Can you explain that to me? On my older B&W Nook....the cover comes across in color......!? Would anyone want the font in anything other than black/gray?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Y
Quote:
Eink will freeze solid if left in freezing temps too long. My nook Eink screen is the size of a period now. Looking it up online it says not to use it or keep it in freezing temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Never understood the advantage of the Nook with color screen. Can you explain that to me? On my older B&W Nook....the cover comes across in color......!? Would anyone want the font in anything other than black/gray?

It has a full touchpad and is not effected by cold nearly as much as eink. You can read magazines and such if your into that. The nook color has decently functional browser. I'm typing this on my nook color. I like the eink better but I use it in extreme cold so eink is out.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 01-31-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #19

Thanks. I need to rush home and take mine out of the freezer!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

One of my sisters gave her husband and stepdaughter a kindle each. We test drove one at the office; it was nice for reading. The stepdaughter liked that it will read aloud; she has a kid who will benefit from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
After packing around 19 credit hours of books I wish the textbook people would go e-ink and save me some back aches.
My sister keeps hearing this from friends/clients at the local community college; they think the time is near.