Tell me about the Kindle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tell me about the Kindle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Tell me about the Kindle

Why do I need this?

What are the benefits, and the drawbacks?

If you have one, do you like it, or is it a toy that will be relegated to a drawer or an upcoming giveaway?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This is a silly question, but since I know absolutely nothing about them, can one view illustrated books?

What about cover art?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 716 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Wish I could help you out, but as I'm a paper-book kinda guy, I've never used an e-reader aside from my BB.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

they arent color that im aware of. ive got the nook color. pretty neat it uses android os. i sometimes post to this site off it when im at work and have time. since i tend to spend a lot of time waiting on people i can carry a large library with me. the kindle i believe only reads one format the nook reads all of them.

the e-ink nook non-color is pretty cheap but its temperature sensative i froze mine to death . replaced it with the color version.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Ah, temps, hadn't thought about that, my phone acts up when it's cold.

Good catch, JonM

Old 01-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #6

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I picked up an e-reader for the family Secret Santa this year ... it wasn't the big hit that I thought it would be

I prefer actual books myself, I like the fact that once it's read I can put it on the shelf and it's there whenever I want it.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My wife got one from me for xmas. She said its the best thing to happen to her since me. She loves the hell out of it. get the 3g version so you can direct download the books.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hard bound paper guy here, too. Just have to think that if all the libraries went to these to save money and conserve space and there was and EMP event....No Books!

Anyway my son-in-law bought himself and my daughter IPads, which work the same way as a Kindle, but do so much more!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm torn between either a Kindle or a Nook myself. I prefer an e-reader with e-ink because it looks like you're reading from a page as opposed to reading on an LCD screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Anyway my son-in-law bought himself and my daughter IPads, which work the same way as a Kindle, but do so much more!
Different tools for different jobs. The iPad are more tablet than e-reader. Good for some full spread magazines and things with lots of colors and what not.

I don't get to many magazines so for me an iPad is more of a giant iPhone than anything.

If you do a lot of travelling and do a lot of reading, I'd get one. The only downside is if you already have a lot of books you have to re-buy them as ebooks or find some way to copy them (like BookLiberator, but I haven't seen anything new on that since September) to a digital format.

One thing I really wish would happen is publishers start selling digital copies with hard copies, my guess is that'd make the e-reader become a lot more viable.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

in looking we decided to get my wife a nook. She hasn't gotten it yet. If she waits I will get her one for her birthday.

The hell with books. After packing around 19 credit hours of books I wish the textbook people would go e-ink and save me some back aches.

ereaders are the wave of the future. Don't believe anyone that says oh just get the Apple ipad and get the kindel app.

You take the nook or kindel out in the sun next to some poor sap with an ipad and you will be reading while he is squinting. While the back-lit LED display with the ULTRA GLOSSY glass looks cool indoors it doesn't work for crap in sunlight. Eink is also better for your eyes as it is not back-lit there for looking much more like real paper and ink.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the nook or the kindel.