Teenage jobs - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Teenage jobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Least favorite was being the sole sandblaster for an industrial coatings company. Spent all day sandblasting THOUSANDS of 3 x 6 x 3/16" steel plates to a specified finish - used for the application and testing of various paints and protective coatings. (Heat, cold, acid bath, salt spray, etc., etc.)
It was a treat to get an occasional structural I-beam to blast for a change of pace. Used for testing of building fireproofing (iron work). Even wearing the hood, you come home with sand embedded in just about every orifice.

Favorite was working for a neighborhood full-service (remember those?) Amoco station. Got to run around town in a wrecker towing vehicles and the station owner made me the morning "manager" of the place. So I had the keys to everything (including his Harley) and his permission to use any of it at any time, with his blessing. I do believe I wore the tires out on that Harley. Towed a lot of "projects" home with the wrecker too. Good times.

Last edited by Highpower; 09-23-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: doubled doubled word

Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #12

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Worst job-dishwasher at an Italian restaurant.
Bear, been there - done that. A good friend of mine (now my brother-in-law) got me the job there when I was between jobs. He was one of the day chefs there. The reason it was one of my worst jobs was not because I didn't like it. It was due to the fact that he would pick out the biggest, thickest steak he could find in the walk-in cooler and grill it up for me for lunch every day.

The lunches were free but I'm paying the price NOW, as I'm still working on loosing the weight from all that great food from back THEN.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Best job was working at a small amusement park. I got to ride everything free as much as I wanted. It made dating really cheap.

I didn't have a worst job. My next job was as stock boy at a large drug store and I enjoyed it. Then, like Dave, I was off to the Air Force at age seventeen.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1230 Posts
Likes Given: 4502

Best Job - worked at Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy Stores. The best part was serving ice cream, summer months, the Dallas heat and the women wearing the t-shirts.

Second best - worked at Howard's Department Store and what went on in the back warehouse after work!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I had a couple of large paper routes as a youngster that kept me in snackage & video game tokens & bought my second bicycle.

I had a GREAT job in high school and my first year of JC; i worked at a little trophy & sign shop. It would've been very blah, but the owner was hilarious, always going out of town leaving the inmates to run the asylum. I received more than one paycheck made out to a nickname . His scuba gear provided endless entertainment for us when things were slow, and when things weren't slow, i really liked putting the trophies together, running the computerized engraver, and hand engraving the platters ("hand" with a guided stylus). It was tough on thumbs though; i had to get part of mine stitched back together (finished the order first) and had to drive a coworker to the ER to get a thumb/table saw problem fixed and heard the grisley on how another coworker took off her fingertips with a plastic cutter. I still remember rushing a late order off to UPS to be shipped out and returning to see my boot standing up in a pile of packing paper in the parking lot. I also remember having three different figurines for 'coon hunting; those guys were a trip with regular competitions. The trophy/sign guy is an accounting client now, still a hoot.

As far as a "bad Job", my friends and i were always mowing yards & such for extra money; in the South MS summer heat and humidity, i didn't just LOVE yardwork, but the extra cash was nice.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 903 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Worst job: I was in college and worked during summer and Christmas breaks at the spread mill where my Grandma worked as a serger. Hot, dusty textile factory work for minimum wage (late 1970s).

Best job: going with my Dad to help unload backhauls. He was a longhaul trucker who carried carpet out, and anything that could be arranged on the way back. The drivers got paid cash to unload themselves, or to pay the guys who hung out by the shipping docks to earn a little cash off the books. For a HS kid, $50 for a few hours work moving cases of canned goods or 50# bags of Idaho taters was pretty good money.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #17

Liked 1326 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Best Job - tie between 2
Hechinger (same as Lowe's or Home Depot) - people were great, hours were not bad and it was surprisingly fun for a cash register job.

Working IT - I did an internship in high school, boss paid me anyways. I had more freedom than 99% of high school jobs. I drove to the appointments, so there was always a little flex time to stop for food or whatever. I was a 17 year old walking into a business and telling them how to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on their IT infrastructure, that was pretty cool.

Worst Job - Circuit City commissioned sales person. I averaged 12 hours a day 6 days a week. The people were great but the work sucked, I made good money but management was never happy and wanted me to push a 3 year warranty plan on a $20 cordless phone and sell a $75 surge protector on a $400 computer. I would make $3 selling the computer and $10 selling the surge protector.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What happened to Dogs post about the paper route and the job at TCBY? I'm thinking about going and getting a job at the local ice cream place now. Was his post inappropriate?!?!?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Worst - Digging ditches for sprinkler systems - or working in clothing stores in high school.

Best - I work on emergency power equipment in the field. I'm dispatched from my house. I have good insurance, car allowance, tax breaks, free gas, and I'm paid for my travel time also. (not a teenage job)

A close second was fixing jets in the USAF. The job was fun and the people I worked with were great, but it didn't pay very well. (ok for a teenager going into the military)

Last edited by Texanbybirth; 09-23-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #20

Worst: Grocery store helper. It sucked getting minimum wage on a Friday and Saturday night sweeping the parking lot while your friends are riding up and down the road cruisin' town.

Most Worst: Industrial insulation. Being hot and sweaty all day with the insulation sticking to me. Paid pretty decent for being around 18.

Best: Beginning my Instrument and Electrical tech career right after college. Us electrical techs used to play war with the mechanics with rubber balls while running from each other on E-Z Go golf carts...but they out numbered us 3 to 12...we got our butts kicked often. Lots of fun at that place, too bad it shut down, I guess some folks were to busy horseplaying to do any work.