Technical armor
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Technical armor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Technical armor

Hello everyone.
I am here because of a "conceptual" project of mine.
I have a project regarding a DIY "technical" (you know,a pickup truck with a machinegun mounted on top of it).
Taking into consideration that I am not very good at physics and was not able to get any valuable information elsewhere on the internet,
I would like to ask you about it's armor.
Considering that usually in the type of situation technicals are used you don't really have access to composite armor or RHA (rolled homogenous armor) steel (that are used for modern armored vehicles) I thought whether or not you could use regular steel.
Sure,it would probably be really heavy and blah blah blah but I just wanted to know if it could work.
So I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could bring up any info about regular steel vs RHA or composite,e.g. RHA plate of X thickness is approximately equal to regular steel plate of Y thickness,etc..
Thank you very much!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

forget the pickup truck ‪Armored-Bulldozer-Rampage‬‏ - YouTube

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Last edited by moonpie; 08-03-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #3

I hope your project remains a "conceptual" project!
I am not a metallurgist, so the only advice I have is to introduce yourself in the introductions thread.
You joined a great forum though!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

plate steel is a lot heavier than you think and a lot more difficult to work and mount on vehicles. there is a reason most ww2 tanks looked like boxes...

pirated from a metalworking forum:

thickness(in decimal format, ie .25) times width in inches times length in inches times .2836
a 12x12 1/2" plate
.5 x 12 x 12 x .2836= 20.4192lbs

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-03-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #5

yea man its conceptualy retarded. you might be able to put up some armor for small arms, but your stuff wont stand a chance against rifles. 5.56 can go through 8" of solid concrete, let alone anything else thats bigger in powder or in round. If you were to put up enough to do so, your truck wouldnt move.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i saw tom hanks blow up a german tiger tank once with a 1911. so unless you got more armor than a tiger tank you aint stopping a 45acp

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-03-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

If you were to place thinner sheets at the proper angles, that would provide deflection with the sine of incoming angle versus the tangent of the angle providing the cosine of the outgoing trajectory is in parallel to the gradian of the velocity arc rounded out provided that the energy is dissipated, that should work.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would think most of the "technicals" with any "armor" were using it more for concealment than cover/protection from projectiles. I would look into some layered-up fiberglass-type sheeting. Bullet Resistant Fiberglass and Bullet Proof Panels | SecureAll™ from Protective Structures, Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i saw tom hanks blow up a german tiger tank once with a 1911. so unless you got more armor than a tiger tank you aint stopping a 45acp
LOL! I thought that was a great scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
If you were to place thinner sheets at the proper angles, that would provide deflection with the sine of incoming angle versus the tangent of the angle providing the cosine of the outgoing trajectory is in parallel to the gradian of the velocity arc rounded out provided that the energy is dissipated, that should work.
I am NOT betting my life on friggin Geometry. About all i really remember is "oscar had a hold on arthur".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 AM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

In most SHTF situations, we imagine ourselves as the F getting the S all over us. In your conception, it looks like you want to bring on the S, all by your lonesome.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Kind of negates the whole concept of a "technical". It is a light, inexpensive, maneuverable, fast truck wielding a lot of firepower.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball