Teaching the GF handgun fundementals
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Teaching the GF handgun fundementals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 228 Times on 141 Posts

Default Teaching the GF handgun fundementals

Really tempted to go pick up a 22/45 lite for $350 bucks at the sportsmans warehouse on black friday, gf is turning 21 next year and wants to learn how to shoot a handgun competently before she goes for her HCP,she can hit with my p938 (she likes that gun,and wants one for a CC) pretty well,but not good enough for me to start her on it without worrying about her devoloping bad habits as that little gun is a handful dispite it's size. Also after she's learned I can drop a red dot on it and get into steel challenge!

Other options are a SR22,which I don't think I'd be as happy with after she's outgrown it,but it is a smaller gun like she would be carrying,don't like that the safety is backwards from what the p938 is.

My guy tells me to go with the full size 22/45 to learn her on as I learned on one,and It taught me great sight picture and trigger control,but I also want a gun she will like,and she likes my dad's p22 which is way more similar to SR22.

What are y'all's thoughts on the situation?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Everyone needs at least one good 22 handgun. get one you will still like 20 years later

Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Everyone needs at least one good 22 handgun. get one you will still like 20 years later
Thanks Anna! I think she will like the 22/45 as much as I do,I just don't know for sure. I do know its a proven trainer. And Is probably the more solid choice.

any tips from a woman's perspective about how I should teach her? I've had great success teaching my younger male cousin and buddy how to shoot a handgun without breeding bad habits,but I do remember her getting a little frustrated with me when we shot the p938 together,I think mostly because she doesn't take well to me telling her anything she is doing is "incorrect" lol.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think the best advice in teaching her is to let a trained expert teach her the fundamentals.

And by that I dont mean it costing a lot of money. many shooting ranges have classes for beginners.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And if that isn't an option, take her out to a desert or someplace where you can shoot at targets, and just let her shoot at cans and teach herself at first, without you doing anything to annoy her. Make sure she can handle a weapon and be safe with it. Then let her enjoy seeing the cans fly. Sometimes a beginner shooting at a paper target and seeing how far off they are only makes them more annoyed. Shooting at something like cans wont show her exactly how far off she is when she misses, and when she hits one it will erase all the misses

Old 11-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
I think the best advice in teaching her is to let a trained expert teach her the fundamentals. And by that I dont mean it costing a lot of money. many shooting ranges have classes for beginners.
Yea I have been looking into that as well after the first outing,and brought it up to her,she didn't seem to think it was necessary. But I believe she would get more from it. I think I'll give it another go round or two,and if I feel I'm not doing a good job or am frustrating her I'll pay for the training and send her in with the gun. Heck I may even take a class with her,I'm sure there's new techniques I don't know,and I'm always willing to learn!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #7

Oh the first stop will be down to the family land to do some plinking with it,ain't that what a .22 handgun is for to begin with lol. She's always enjoyed plinking cans.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Oh the first stop will be down to the family land to do some plinking with it,ain't that what a .22 handgun is for to begin with lol. She's always enjoyed plinking cans.
Sounds like a great idea

as for handguns and 22's, I have a browning buckmark that shoots anything, but I tend to shoot alot, and after it gets dirty it jams up. And I absolutely hate having to use a screw driver to clean it. (very annoying to me and 22 automatics and their finiky feed problems with waxy or dirty ammo. I now have a Smith 617 revolver and wished I had boughten that in the beginning and never bought an auto. Thats just me though.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Anna mentioned the revolver. She beat me to it.

I personally think there's no funner platform. I also think there's no better platform for learning on. You could get her an LCR 22 and then if she falls in love with it her CCW piece could be a 38 or 357 version. Smooth, easy transition.

Nothing at all wrong with a revolver.

In terms of teaching her, I really like Anna's idea about shooting cans.

Otherwise just be supportive. Don't make it seem like she's wrong, but rather "might work better for you if you try it like this..."

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 11-27-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And a nice set of ear phones that block out shooting noises will also make her shoot straighter.