Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tannerite (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tannerite-3700/)

Doug1627 03-13-2008 03:11 PM

Tannerite

Hello,

I am wanting to make some Tannerite targets. Anyone know where to get the Ammonium nitrate and aluminum powder. I found the ammonium nitrate on ebay but prefer to buy elsewhere.

bkt 03-13-2008 06:11 PM

Is there any reason you don't want to buy some pre-made Tannerite?

Doug1627 03-13-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 19023)
Is there any reason you don't want to buy some pre-made Tannerite?

Cost and I have the "do it yourself" mentality.

bkt 03-13-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug1627 (Post 19048)
Cost and I have the "do it yourself" mentality.

I can relate to both reasons. But I thought the recipe for Tannerite was not out there for anyone to copy. Let us know how you make out and take some vids!!

Righteous 03-14-2008 01:29 AM

man you just asking for the ATF people to come looking for you if there not already. just buy you some exploding scarecrow targets and be legal about it

Doug1627 03-14-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righteous (Post 19073)
man you just asking for the ATF people to come looking for you if there not already. just buy you some exploding scarecrow targets and be legal about it

What illegal about it? From what I have read it completley legal so long as it is not sold or transported in mixed form. Am I wrong on that?

Here is some info from a quick Google search. If this info is wrong please let me know. I have not bought anything or tried this yet.

WHY IS TANNERITE LEGAL? Answer: Manufacturing is a commerce issue governed by the feds. Page 58 CFR 5400.7 General Q&A Section, new edition: #36. When is a Federal manufacturing license required? "A manufacturer's license is needed ONLY by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing explosives materials for SALE, DISTRIBUTION, or for BUSINESS use. For example, persons engaged in the business of providing a blasting service using explosives of their own manufacture would be required to have a license. Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, NON-commercial use would not need a license."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tannerite is a binary explosive. They come in 2 non-hazardous/non-dangerous compositions. Anyone can legally make their own explosive as long as they do not violate the same day storage laws and do not allow the item to enter commerce when mixed. Make sure you use Tannerite the same day you mix the 2 compositions. Don't sell mixed targets because once it is mixed it is considered an explosive. Tannerite are legal in all 50 states at the time of this writing. When using this product make sure you are in a remote location, These devices are extremely loud and you don't want to disturb neighboring land owners. The Tannerite Targets are so stable that the BATF does not consider them a explosive Target, But rather an " Reactive Target ".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacture and sale

Tannerite is often sold in pre-sized and shaped explosives for avalanche control and police use.

Since the two components are not explosive until mixed, they can legally be purchased without a license. Combining the components constitutes manufacturing explosives.[citation needed] In most parts of the United States, this is legal for personal use.[citation needed]

Tannerite consists of two components, a sensitizer and a bulk material. The bulk material is a mixture of ammonium nitrate and ammonium perchlorate, while the sensitizer is a mixture of dark flake aluminium powder and a small amount of zirconium hydride. Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder are also known to work, but are less sensitive and harder to reliably detonate.

Doug1627 03-14-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 19058)
I can relate to both reasons. But I thought the recipe for Tannerite was not out there for anyone to copy. Let us know how you make out and take some vids!!

I searched many forums and websites until I found something to help. There is videos out on you tube. Here is a link to one.

matt g 03-14-2008 01:35 PM

You're asking for a lengthy investigation at the very least. Ammonium nitrate is a fertilizer and aluminum powder can be found at most places that work with aluminum.

Doug1627 03-14-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 19100)
You're asking for a lengthy investigation at the very least. Ammonium nitrate is a fertilizer and aluminum powder can be found at most places that work with aluminum.

I dont want any trouble from it. I will just shoot paper.

gnoll 04-26-2008 06:11 PM

they can come look at me ill have a good time when the ATF comes to my door for something so legal !!!
i mean you can find out how to make it any were and i love to shoot it
and look these ppl sell how to make it
http://www.willitdetonate.com/