Tankless Water Heater
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Tankless Water Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tankless Water Heater

I am aware this has absolutely nothing to do with firearms, but I know there is guys here that has knowledge in this field. This goes out for JoedaPlumber because obviously your in this field...but I am posting in general chat incase any body else has info that they would like to share...and please do.

Alright, I have a tankless water heater in a house I just bought. The house is 3 bed, 2 bath, and there is 3 of us...soon to be 4. The water is from a well. It is a S.E.T.S unit (240v) but the Model # isn't on the unit. I also know that S.E.T.S is now owned by Hubbell and they do not honor the warranty. When we take a shower the temperature is very erratic (either burning my hide off or freezing me). I played around with the settings on the unit from low all the way up to the highest but that didn't help. I leaning towards just taking the unit out and putting in a conventional electrical water heater because all of the piping and electrical is already there for it. Any body have some knowledge to share? Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been hearing that the circuit boards on all brands have been going out. I ALMOST purchased one last month, but didn't. I can't say that is what is wrong with your's, but that's what I was told was happening. Good luck, and if you find out for sure what is wrong with it, please post. Good luck, bro.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think there is a plumbing forum managed by the manager of this forum now.

FYI - that Energy Credit from the IRS for upgrading your water heater doesn't apply to any tank-type water heater designed for a residence, sooooo lots more people are going tankless nowadays. Maybe there is a tankless specific forum out there?

edit* Well looky there: http://www.tankless-water-heaters.com/forum/
Maybe there is some info there?

Last edited by orangello; 04-14-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I would change it out with one from Rheem, Titan or Rennai. They come with a 10 year warranty, but you do need to have enough amp service to your house to keep them from burning out. Some run on 60 ams while others require 300.

A guy my father knows had his Rheem go out after 9-1/2 years. Got a full replacement for nothing because of the 10 year warranty. The man is 80 years old, so he figures he will never have to change it out again.

Gello is correct about the Energy Credit. Years ago, these things were really pricey. Not so much these days. I have 7 water heaters in operation right now. 6 of them have been going for about 15 years. If and when they go, I will be looking into the tankless for replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #5

Default Update

Thought I would post the solution to my problems fella's, just incase any of ya'll ever run into the same thing. I'm going to post the site where I got the info from incase you wanna look into it yourself. But I'll go ahead and give you the quick version. Alright, my well pump is activated by 40/60 psi controller. So when pressure drops to 40(really about 42) it is started, and up to 60 it is stopped. There is my problem, when pressure goes up and down it throws my tankless for a loop trying to heat the extra flow up or let the lower flow cool down, so it can't run at a steady temp. The solution, was to tune my regulator... it was pre-set at 50 giving to much pressure fluctuation, so I lowered the setting to allow no more than 40 p.s.i. Now there is alot less fluctuation in pressure(or flow)=alot less fluctation in temperature. Yes, I lowered my water pressure all through out the house but I checked it and I still have enough to do whatever I need. And here's the site... Tankless Water Heater Installation on Well Water System

Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #6

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think there is a plumbing forum managed by the manager of this forum now.

FYI - that Energy Credit from the IRS for upgrading your water heater doesn't apply to any tank-type water heater designed for a residence, sooooo lots more people are going tankless nowadays. Maybe there is a tankless specific forum out there?

edit* Well looky there: Tankless Water Heaters Forum
Maybe there is some info there?
That forum is overrun by a bunch of Urologists.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington