Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tall tales & Fishing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tall-tales-fishing-65695/)

MobileMarine 06-03-2012 04:04 AM

Tall tales & Fishing

Ok , here is a thread to share your stories . Whatever goes ! Can be truth , can be stretched truth or something you did in your dumber days :D . Share your war story or pass on grandpas fishing story , the one that changed slightly every time you heard it . If your going to tell about your mischievous days , be sure the statue of limitations applies ;) .
Twist it how ever you want and make it good , tell us in the end , if you so choose , just how spot on it really was .

Here is one of mine :
The rain had finally tapered off by about 10pm but it was still hot and humid as all get out . Me and Nate '' best friend '' decided to go hit the mud . So we got the trucks fires up , my chariot was a 89 nissan pathfinder with locked front and rear diffs and his was a 79 f-250 with a 460 big block .
We had beer to drink , time to kill and mud to sling and we had the perfect place to do all 3 .
A very large track of land was under development with the roads for the most part ready to pave .... till we got there . It became apparent as soon as we left the pavement just how much fun we were in for . The roads looked as if they were getting paved anytime now , nice and smooth Nc red clay mud about 1ft thick , almost like peanut butter .
After about 30 minutes of going at it , I stuck my rig about 2 miles back from the main entrance , Nate stuck his in one of these giant drain ponds trying to turn around to get me .
By this time is about 12 at night and NO one would come get us , the option of leaving them there was no going to happen due to the chit load of trouble we would be in if caught . Not wanting to , I remember seeing a big ol center steer fork loader on the trail . Off we go to get it . Get there , work my magic and start driving it back to the trucks . We were commited now , after borowwing the loader , we HAD to get them out .
Now here is where things go bad . We get back to the trucks and I stick the loader by sliding way way way down the hill into the woods and out of site .
We have just stuck the thing we barrowed to get ourselves out .
THEE only other rig NOT at the main entrance was a the biggest excavator id ever seen , A Cat 365 . For sure going to jail now , I got it started , squeaked , crawled and banged our way at a snails pace back to the trucks with only one dot left on the fuel meter and it was flashing . We hook up to the f-250 1st and let me tell you , it was like mike tyson hitting a tether ball !
I did not even bother hooking up to mine , I just scooped it up in the bucket and put it on firm ground . I felt horrible for taking the machines like that so I intended to drive it back till ......... yep , got it stuck too .:( .
We cleaned and fix what we had done to start them and got thee hell out of dodge .
Its now about 3-4am , trucks look like mud balls going down the road with a bad case of diarrhea falling out from under them . Now i was running expired dealer tags . We are heading down the back rd and pass a sheriff getting ready to pull out of a road that backs up to where we were JUST at and Im last inline . GREAT ... all of that and were still gonna go to jail ! As I predicted he turned out behind me and why he NEVER pulled us Ill never know , maybe he knew it was going to be alot of paper work involved on this one , i dont know , nor do I care but I can tell you , we never went to a another job site off-roading ever again .
And to this day ..... I have yet to see another excavator that big in person
google Cat 365 excavator to see just how big she is .

Now your turn :D

LONGHAIR 06-04-2012 02:22 PM

He was this big...but he got away.....:eek:...:D...:D...

MobileMarine 06-04-2012 03:39 PM

Looks like this one turned out to be a dud , oh well

winds-of-change 06-04-2012 04:04 PM

I used to go fishing with my Dad on vacations. He would smoke a cigar and let me have a puff. My Mother would get mad at him for that. ROFL

Anyway, I was about 8ish and we were out on a lake. I got a strike on my line and pulled in this big, black big mouthed "sucker fish". That's what my Dad called it but it was some kind of catfish, I think. I was terrified of the thing. It must have been two feet long and ugly as sin. Whiskers, big gaping mouth, the whole ugly thing. My Dad said they were garbage fish and threw it up on shore to let it die. I felt bad for the fish. :(

gollygee 06-05-2012 12:46 AM

My son & I were going to do some trot lining. Set up camp & set out the trot line, then went to seine for bait. We found a narrow dead-ended slough that was about 20 ft. long & just wide enough that our seine reached all the way across.

We started out at it's mouth & started easing our way toward the end. We had just got started when a squirrel climbed out on a willow limb, hanging out over the water, to get an acorn that was sitting on an old stump. Of course, when he dropped off the limb to get the acorn, the limb popped back up & left him stranded on the stump.

You could almost sense his panic & it was like he was trying to judge if he could jump to dry land. About that time, a huge black bass came up out of the water & grabbed that squirrel! My son & I had the same thought at about the same time. We figured we could trap that old bass if we could work up close to each bank & drag the seine along the bottom. Well, we were about there when.............................................. ...........................................

That bass came back up out of the water & put another acorn on that stump!

:p

LONGHAIR 06-05-2012 01:08 AM

Trot-Lines never get me anything but Snapping-Turtles.....

c3shooter 06-05-2012 02:21 AM

Talking to a friend that is a lifelong Texan- we were discussing bass fishing. Told me he had a good evening at the lake- caught three 4 inchers, two 5 inchers, and one 6 inch.

Was kinda puzzled, told him that here in Virginia, bass THAT size were not legal. He smiled and said "Yep, but here in Texas, we measure between the EYES!".

MobileMarine 06-05-2012 03:22 PM

Me and pops were off shore about 20 miles , dead calm and had been trolling for sometime so we stopped and threw out some flat lines and put some on the bottom . I was at the front and dad at the back when i heard HOLY *HIT!
Dad had reeled in one of the trolling rods but left the leader with the hula popper with a chunk of bait hanging over the side of the boat . A huge lone bull dolphin came out of the blue and just swam up to it and took it . Pops being excited grabs the pole that is still locked with drag still nice and tight , he gives it a nice yank and sets the hook on a @ least 70lb green bull dolphin .

What ensued there after was thee biggest ass whipping I have ever seen in person by a fish . we got some line out and fought him for a few minutes , he never got further than 40ft from the boat but his last trip around was by the front . Now our gaff had broke in half so it was only about 3 ft long but it was still a gaff . I reached over the bow rails with dad yelling gaff em gaff em gaff em ! Now im sitting there wonder what they hell is going to go down when I stick the big hook in this big mean fish ? No looking forward to doing it , I stuck em . What ensued after that was the biggest ass whipping I have ever received . That dolphin shook me around like a rag doll in a bull dogs mouth .
Not being able to control him or me I turned him loose . When he took off the leader came by my head and layed my ear open nice and proper , I look up and my gaff and my fish leaving town with fast company , never to be seen again .

Vikingdad 06-06-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 825772)
Me and pops were off shore about 20 miles , dead calm and had been trolling for sometime so we stopped and threw out some flat lines and put some on the bottom . I was at the front and dad at the back when i heard HOLY *HIT!
Dad had reeled in one of the trolling rods but left the leader with the hula popper with a chunk of bait hanging over the side of the boat . A huge lone bull dolphin came out of the blue and just swam up to it and took it . Pops being excited grabs the pole that is still locked with drag still nice and tight , he gives it a nice yank and sets the hook on a @ least 70lb green bull dolphin .

What ensued there after was thee biggest ass whipping I have ever seen in person by a fish . we got some line out and fought him for a few minutes , he never got further than 40ft from the boat but his last trip around was by the front . Now our gaff had broke in half so it was only about 3 ft long but it was still a gaff . I reached over the bow rails with dad yelling gaff em gaff em gaff em ! Now im sitting there wonder what they hell is going to go down when I stick the big hook in this big mean fish ? No looking forward to doing it , I stuck em . What ensued after that was the biggest ass whipping I have ever received . That dolphin shook me around like a rag doll in a bull dogs mouth .
Not being able to control him or me I turned him loose . When he took off the leader came by my head and layed my ear open nice and proper , I look up and my gaff and my fish leaving town with fast company , never to be seen again .

I totally believe you. I caught a 55 lb bull dolphin out of Ocho Rios, Jamaica (honeymoon trip) Fought it for 30 minutes and then it got in the boat it beat the hell out of the crew, one of the natives who was as black as they come had a huge visible bruise on his back from it (got a pic of the bruise, but it is on real film, 20 years ago). They broke an aluminum baseball bat trying to kill it. Very beautiful fish for a little while after you pull it out of the water. The beauty fades fast though.

Vikingdad 06-06-2012 04:10 AM

When I was in high school I would hang out at one of the local stables and do chores and stuff in trade for riding time (never had a horse of my own). There was an innocent young girl I was interested in who had never been riding, so I arranged for two horses one day, we went on a decent ride and when we got back there was stud service there so I asked her if she had ever seen a horse put up for stud. Not knowing what I meant she just said "Let's go see!".

Big mistake. Once she saw that big schlong at full attention there was no going back though. We stayed for the duration. Poor girl was ruined from then on. No impressing her after that.:(