Talk At Me About Trucks - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Talk At Me About Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The wife and I might trade in our crappy Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo on a truck of some sort in a few months.

My wife says a lot of people in her family have had Dodges and most of them have had tranny issues.

I'm not very mechanical. Nor am I much of a "car guy." Let's just say I know more about things that go boom tban I do about things that go vroom, if that tells you anything.

So assume I know nothing. I know, I know, real difficult task, right?

Anyway, please try to leave personal bias out of it. If you prefer a brand please say why and try to be objective.

Our needs? Well we don't NEED, per se. I just want. You know how it goes. So we want enough of a truck to grow into but not a durn semi either. We have two kids and want us all to fit comfortably in the cab, so I feel like that rules out a Ranger.

So, talk at me about trucks. Brands? How much torque? Horsepower? Reliability? Brands? Bed size? How about brands?

Ready, go. Oh and we about 95% won't be buying new.
Toyota Tundra. I bought a 2012 Limited new and now have 30K miles on it. 17mpg average. Love it. An amazing dependable truck that I'll own a long time. Customer service is excellent, and built right here in then USA...San Antonio, Texas. Best state in America!

God bless our troops, specially the snipers!

Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #22

Liked 1776 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 2505

I have owned Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.....All have needed extensive drivetrain and suspension repairs......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #23

I've never owned one, but some friends have...The Toyota's are almost indestructable, and will crawl straight up a tree...right out of the box. The down side is, they won't haul, or tow much....and knocking back some PBR's, with Hank Jr on the radio just don't feel right in a Ching-chong truck......

Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
I've never owned one, but some friends have...The Toyota's are almost indestructable, and will crawl straight up a tree...right out of the box. The down side is, they won't haul, or tow much....and knocking back some PBR's, with Hank Jr on the radio just don't feel right in a Ching-chong truck......
Plus....once the exhaust system gets mangled.....they sound like a weed eater.

TLuker Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I appreciate everyone's input. I don't expect to ready a conclusion online, and we will test a bunch and get an extended warranty if the truck we fall in love with doesn't already have one.

I knew already, but am seeing first-hand in this thread, that trucks are like guns. Everyone has their favorites based on personal experience and what has worked for them. And what works for you might not work well for me.

That's ok. I still like hearing everyone's experiences.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #26

Liked 324 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
That is exactly what I think when I see a Toyota truck, dont know why just always has.
Right now I have a Dodge Dakota but it is a 2 door, I'm pretty sure they make a 4 door though.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
better dead than red

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I don't expect to ready a conclusion online, and we will test a bunch and get an extended warranty if the truck we fall in love with doesn't already have one.

I knew already, but am seeing first-hand in this thread, that trucks are like guns. Everyone has their favorites based on personal experience and what has worked for them. And what works for you might not work well for me.

That's ok. I still like hearing everyone's experiences.
JW, i just happen to like Dodges. a personal preference. but in all honesty, after working at a Chevrolet/GMC and a Ford dealerships service departments, the name on the grille is pretty much irrelevent. they all have their good and bad points. when i was looking to replace my full size 4wd Dodge, i almost bought a Ford, but the saleman was trying rip me off on the deal.

here are some facts though. newer V-8's can get pretty decent mileage, and sometimes even better than the same truck with a V-6 engine. buying used, get a CarFax report if possible to find out the history of the vehicle. have an independent mechanic check it out. if they balk at letting you do so, walk away, because they are trying to hide something. another point to consider when you get ready to buy, don't discount buying new. sometimes depending on the time of year, you can get some pretty deep discounts and some dealerships give military discounts too.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #28

Liked 2385 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Top gear has had some good episodes involving Toyota trucks. Entertainng more than informative.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #29

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
It's not really a Ching-Chong truck. If I'm not mistaken, NON of the Toyotas are imported from Asia. Also, my buddy has one of the newer Tundras with the big V-8 Motor. It has hauled 4 tons of stove pellets on a trailer, one ton in the bed, (it's rated as a 1/2 ton 10K LB towing capacity), with no problem. Now, if you need to haul much note than that, you really need a one-ton, which Toyota doesn't make anyway.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
It's not really a Ching-Chong truck. If I'm not mistaken, NON of the Toyotas are imported from Asia. Also, my buddy has one of the newer Tundras with the big V-8 Motor. It has hauled 4 tons of stove pellets on a trailer, one ton in the bed, (it's rated as a 1/2 ton 10K LB towing capacity), with no problem. Now, if you need to haul much note than that, you really need a one-ton, which Toyota doesn't make anyway.
i think IIRC, most all of the Toyota vehicles in the US have been made in the US for about the last 15-20 years now. Honda and Nissan have factories here in the US as well.