Talk At Me About Trucks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Talk At Me About Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Talk At Me About Trucks

The wife and I might trade in our crappy Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo on a truck of some sort in a few months.

My wife says a lot of people in her family have had Dodges and most of them have had tranny issues.

I'm not very mechanical. Nor am I much of a "car guy." Let's just say I know more about things that go boom tban I do about things that go vroom, if that tells you anything.

So assume I know nothing. I know, I know, real difficult task, right?

Anyway, please try to leave personal bias out of it. If you prefer a brand please say why and try to be objective.

Our needs? Well we don't NEED, per se. I just want. You know how it goes. So we want enough of a truck to grow into but not a durn semi either. We have two kids and want us all to fit comfortably in the cab, so I feel like that rules out a Ranger.

So, talk at me about trucks. Brands? How much torque? Horsepower? Reliability? Brands? Bed size? How about brands?

Ready, go. Oh and we about 95% won't be buying new.

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sorry, but i happen to like Dodge trucks and have owned several over the last 14 years. in quite a number of different years models. i have very good luck with Dodges. you will hear the same from the Chevrolet guys and the Ford guys and the Nissan guys, ect., ect.......

a lot of it will come down to what you really plan on using the truck for. very light duty usage and just need a truck, get one with a V-6 and an automatic transmission. need more horsepower to pull a trailer, get a V-8.

personally i stepped down from a full size Dodge Ram to a Dodge Dakota with a V-8, automatic transmission and four doors. with you having a wife and kids, i would highly recommend getting a four door. it's just the wife and i, and i will never go back to a regular cab truck ever after getting use to the room a four door truck has.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
sorry, but i happen to like Dodge trucks and have owned several over the last 14 years. in quite a number of different years models. i have very good luck with Dodges. you will hear the same from the Chevrolet guys and the Ford guys and the Nissan guys, ect., ect.......

a lot of it will come down to what you really plan on using the truck for. very light duty usage and just need a truck, get one with a V-6 and an automatic transmission. need more horsepower to pull a trailer, get a V-8.

personally i stepped down from a full size Dodge Ram to a Dodge Dakota with a V-8, automatic transmission and four doors. with you having a wife and kids, i would highly recommend getting a four door. it's just the wife and i, and i will never go back to a regular cab truck ever after getting use to the room a four door truck has.
I personally like the looks of Dodges. Dunno if it'll happen though.

Four doors is a must.

She wants horses at some point but honestly I dunno how likely that is to happen.

Jet skis are a definite possibility. As is a motorcycle or two on a trailer.

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I personally like the looks of Dodges. Dunno if it'll happen though.

Four doors is a must.

She wants horses at some point but honestly I dunno how likely that is to happen.

Jet skis are a definite possibility. As is a motorcycle or two on a trailer.
jet skis or motorcycles on a trailer wouldn't be a problem for a truck with a healthy V-6 engine. horse trailer and a horse, i would step up to a V-8 engine.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

F-150 Super Crew. 4 doors, 6 foot bed, enough towing power for a loaded two horse trailer. The MC's and PWC's will be easy. Class V hitch will cover all the bases. The 4.6 liter V-8 will do what you need. Not a powerhouse, but the same engine in our Crown Victorias runs well and lasts a good long time. If you find one with the 5.4 liter Triton engine, even better. Power to spare.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I drive an '07 Ram 4 door with the Hemi. Great truck it's got a lot of horses under the good! Is that the horses you were referring to? I've had 2 Chevys, a Ford F350 4 door dully and now the Dodge. My next truck will also be a Dodge. With the Hemi you can tow most anything you want.imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1396588462.797363.jpg
With my half ton Ram I can and do tandem pull my travel trailer with the waverunner behind it. Tows my 23 ft boat really well to. But just like my guns, I don't leave anything stock. I put a cam, custom tune, cold air intake and exhaust on it.

I do agree with the "not buying new" strategy. I got a great deal on my truck when it was only a year old.

If you want the best towing power, I'd go Dodge Ram or Toyota Tundra. If mileage is primary concern.... Probably the Chevy. Not sure I could recommend Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

My completely unbiased opinion says a Toyota Tacoma for a smaller truck or an F150 for a larger one.

My biased opinion says Ford all the way

I've found through the years that I just don't care too much for new trucks, they are nice but every 'upgrade' is just something else to break.

I am much more satisfied with an early to mid '90s truck in good shape.

I bought my '93 GMC because no matter what breaks it can be back on the road in a few days for about $300

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3103 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

So far, I'm doing okay with my Nissan Titan. Plenty of torque, decent ride, roomy, cup holders all over the place, chargers where I need them. Customer service has been great when a gremlin rose up (I bought it used and did not find out that previous owner screwed up wiring until I heard the radio playing in the driveway.)

Down side, gas mileage is terrible.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Sounds like you need a crew cab.

The Silverado makes a spacious,

comfortable one.

I wasted a lot of money on a f150 POS.

The dealer and the company BOTH refused

to stand by their product. I had the Chevy

in for a couple warranty claims, and the

dealer always fixed it free.

THIS IS FACT. IT HAPPENED TO ME,

PERSONALLY.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 507 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I've had Fords. Chevys, and Dodge and all served me well, the only truck I've had real problems was an old Nissan, that liked to eat transmissions,, went through 2 in 24 thousand miles, went back to American models, but my wife's newer Nissans have performed very well, she pulls her camper to trap shoots around the state and has had no issues. I think the biggest difference is how much you want in options, I have just a plain Silverado work truck, crank windows, simple radio, the wife's truck is on the other end of the spectrum,, bling, bling,, but it is nice,, many choices, test drive the crap out of vehicles and see what your preferences and budget limitations may be.