Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Talk At Me About Trucks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/talk-me-about-trucks-105812/)

JW357 04-04-2014 05:10 AM

Talk At Me About Trucks

The wife and I might trade in our crappy Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo on a truck of some sort in a few months.

My wife says a lot of people in her family have had Dodges and most of them have had tranny issues.

I'm not very mechanical. Nor am I much of a "car guy." Let's just say I know more about things that go boom tban I do about things that go vroom, if that tells you anything.

So assume I know nothing. I know, I know, real difficult task, right?

Anyway, please try to leave personal bias out of it. If you prefer a brand please say why and try to be objective.

Our needs? Well we don't NEED, per se. I just want. You know how it goes. So we want enough of a truck to grow into but not a durn semi either. We have two kids and want us all to fit comfortably in the cab, so I feel like that rules out a Ranger.

So, talk at me about trucks. Brands? How much torque? Horsepower? Reliability? Brands? Bed size? How about brands?

Ready, go. Oh and we about 95% won't be buying new.

Axxe55 04-04-2014 05:19 AM

sorry, but i happen to like Dodge trucks and have owned several over the last 14 years. in quite a number of different years models. i have very good luck with Dodges. you will hear the same from the Chevrolet guys and the Ford guys and the Nissan guys, ect., ect.......

a lot of it will come down to what you really plan on using the truck for. very light duty usage and just need a truck, get one with a V-6 and an automatic transmission. need more horsepower to pull a trailer, get a V-8.

personally i stepped down from a full size Dodge Ram to a Dodge Dakota with a V-8, automatic transmission and four doors. with you having a wife and kids, i would highly recommend getting a four door. it's just the wife and i, and i will never go back to a regular cab truck ever after getting use to the room a four door truck has.

JW357 04-04-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1548981)
sorry, but i happen to like Dodge trucks and have owned several over the last 14 years. in quite a number of different years models. i have very good luck with Dodges. you will hear the same from the Chevrolet guys and the Ford guys and the Nissan guys, ect., ect.......

a lot of it will come down to what you really plan on using the truck for. very light duty usage and just need a truck, get one with a V-6 and an automatic transmission. need more horsepower to pull a trailer, get a V-8.

personally i stepped down from a full size Dodge Ram to a Dodge Dakota with a V-8, automatic transmission and four doors. with you having a wife and kids, i would highly recommend getting a four door. it's just the wife and i, and i will never go back to a regular cab truck ever after getting use to the room a four door truck has.

I personally like the looks of Dodges. Dunno if it'll happen though.

Four doors is a must.

She wants horses at some point but honestly I dunno how likely that is to happen.

Jet skis are a definite possibility. As is a motorcycle or two on a trailer.

Axxe55 04-04-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1548985)
I personally like the looks of Dodges. Dunno if it'll happen though.

Four doors is a must.

She wants horses at some point but honestly I dunno how likely that is to happen.

Jet skis are a definite possibility. As is a motorcycle or two on a trailer.

jet skis or motorcycles on a trailer wouldn't be a problem for a truck with a healthy V-6 engine. horse trailer and a horse, i would step up to a V-8 engine.

robocop10mm 04-04-2014 05:42 AM

F-150 Super Crew. 4 doors, 6 foot bed, enough towing power for a loaded two horse trailer. The MC's and PWC's will be easy. Class V hitch will cover all the bases. The 4.6 liter V-8 will do what you need. Not a powerhouse, but the same engine in our Crown Victorias runs well and lasts a good long time. If you find one with the 5.4 liter Triton engine, even better. Power to spare.

TexasGunner 04-04-2014 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I drive an '07 Ram 4 door with the Hemi. Great truck it's got a lot of horses under the good! Is that the horses you were referring to? I've had 2 Chevys, a Ford F350 4 door dully and now the Dodge. My next truck will also be a Dodge. With the Hemi you can tow most anything you want.Attachment 141168
With my half ton Ram I can and do tandem pull my travel trailer with the waverunner behind it. Tows my 23 ft boat really well to. But just like my guns, I don't leave anything stock. I put a cam, custom tune, cold air intake and exhaust on it.

I do agree with the "not buying new" strategy. I got a great deal on my truck when it was only a year old.

If you want the best towing power, I'd go Dodge Ram or Toyota Tundra. If mileage is primary concern.... Probably the Chevy. Not sure I could recommend Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

sputnik1988 04-04-2014 06:41 AM

My completely unbiased opinion says a Toyota Tacoma for a smaller truck or an F150 for a larger one.

My biased opinion says Ford all the way:D

I've found through the years that I just don't care too much for new trucks, they are nice but every 'upgrade' is just something else to break.

I am much more satisfied with an early to mid '90s truck in good shape.

I bought my '93 GMC because no matter what breaks it can be back on the road in a few days for about $300

danf_fl 04-04-2014 08:07 AM

So far, I'm doing okay with my Nissan Titan. Plenty of torque, decent ride, roomy, cup holders all over the place, chargers where I need them. Customer service has been great when a gremlin rose up (I bought it used and did not find out that previous owner screwed up wiring until I heard the radio playing in the driveway.)

Down side, gas mileage is terrible.