Take care of your IT guy...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Take care of your IT guy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Take care of your IT guy...

So I'm checking the forum while I'm on hold at work and suddenly it goes down, saying the website has been blocked. I'm POed so I head downstairs and ask the IT guy if they are blocking sites, he said yes but gives me a wink and tells me to type the website I want into a box. I do so and 3 minutes later I'm back!
All I do is treat him like a person with respect and shoot the breeze with him once in awhile about things other then work. You know, hobbies, his family, etc...Now I need to get him to unblock the auction sites so I can keep my eyes open for a new pistol for my wife. The management here is very anti gun, anti weapon of any sort for that matter.
I carry a pocket knife and got it out one time at my desk to cut an apple and was asked why I had that. I told them to cut fruit like I was doing and they let it slide but I pay more attention to who is around when I do it now. A pocket knife just has so many uses, I never leave home without at least one!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Yes you must bring offering of caffeine to IT GUY.
If you want you can send your offering to

Anthony Burns Elementary School
C/O Brett "CPTTango30" Young
60 Gallery Rd
Stafford, VA 22554

Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Be nice to IT guy+others.

My IT guy at work is nice enough to not block gun sites, Hell He even wants to hire my Son, who is a year out of college, with a degree in Informatics. I'm also NICE to my General Manager-I load .357's for him for his Marlin lever, and S&W Model 27.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I wish anyone here was even remotly supportive of firearms, the 2A, or military, all of which I'm a strong supporter of. I found out they don't pay reservists for their time away from work while on duty. My old company at least made sure I made equal to what I made with them.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

That sucks about your work, Spittinfire. Everyone at the machine shop I work at is a hunter, firearms enthusiast, and/or concealed carry holder. It's nice seeing them bring in their new toys every month.

I bought a Mossberg 500 from my foreman, and wanted to replace the stock stock (see what I did there?) with a pistol grip shoulder stock. So I just waited until lunch time, and started working on old Betsy right there at the lunch table. The owner walked by, said hi, and just went about his business.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Must be nice...they tried to block all websites that are in any way related to any weapon but he took it off. I just found out today that he's looking into an XD and I just happen to be an XD fan! Maybe I have one guy in my corner...

Old 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I work in IT here, but I'm a mainframe programmer - no control over the network. We do have a 'no personal use' policy, but y'all know a guy HAS to surf now and then. My shooting&reloading buddy is down in the basement, on the Network team. He gives me the heads-up when management is hooking up The Box - a gadget that sniffs the net for illicit usage. He has a laptop hooked up to bypass the Sniffer and other protections. So if I need to check something quick, I can have him do it.
Luckily The Box was temporary, on loan for testing, but provd too expensive to keep with the current budget cruch.
I also revamped an old billing program that hadn't been properly updated in years. Saved the department $2400 a MONTH in overcharges. The Department Head likes me now.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #8

Our IT is pretty tight, but this site is not blocked, but the banners are. It is less about one or two IT guys/gals here. It's corporate, but now that I have changed area's I find there are different levels of control. I cannot go to anything that streams... pretty much... but some of my new area co-workers can go to YouTube and music sites. I'm jealous, but then again, I've got work to do!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
So I'm checking the forum while I'm on hold at work and suddenly it goes down, saying the website has been blocked. I'm POed so I head downstairs and ask the IT guy if they are blocking sites, he said yes but gives me a wink and tells me to type the website I want into a box. I do so and 3 minutes later I'm back!
All I do is treat him like a person with respect and shoot the breeze with him once in awhile about things other then work. You know, hobbies, his family, etc...Now I need to get him to unblock the auction sites so I can keep my eyes open for a new pistol for my wife. The management here is very anti gun, anti weapon of any sort for that matter.
I carry a pocket knife and got it out one time at my desk to cut an apple and was asked why I had that. I told them to cut fruit like I was doing and they let it slide but I pay more attention to who is around when I do it now. A pocket knife just has so many uses, I never leave home without at least one!

sounds like a cubical enviornment, and like they have some fear of disgruntal employees going around and pricking people with pocket knives.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #10

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I work for the feds. I fear they are not blocking me just building a case

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson