Tactical Carbine Course DVD's...Which to choose?!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Tactical Carbine Course DVD's...Which to choose?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Tactical Carbine Course DVD's...Which to choose?!

I know nothing beats going to a live fire course and actually doing it, but on a fixed VA income, it's not that easy. Does anyone have any insight as to which is the better of these, the DD LAV DVD or the Magpul Dynamics Tactical Carbine I & II? My birthday is coming up and it doesn't seem like I'm going to get what I had originally asked for, so I figured I'd take it down a notch and make it more realistic and feasible for my fiancée and family.

I don't get to goto the range as much as I want, and I don't live in NC yet, next year, different story (I don't have property to practice on, I live in a town home community). It would be me pretty much studying every move and taking physical and mental notes to apply the next time I do get to get out to the range. Any and all help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

And I'm sure now that I've said something about it, I won't get either DVD set and I'll probably end up getting what I originally wanted...errr.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I would say the Magpul Dynamics, they are pretty good in my opinion. I'm no expert but I learned a good bit from them.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232
I would say the Magpul Dynamics, they are pretty good in my opinion. I'm no expert but I learned a good bit from them.
Awesome, thank you for the info/opinion, that's all I needed to hear haha. I was kinda leaning more towards getting the Magpul set, and reading/hearing that just confirms it. I'll worry about the LAV DVDs another time, I'll pass along the word to my fiancée. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope I get em', maybe it'll give me something to do during the day if all goes well.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

No problem, they should keep you occupied and give you tons of information on the tactical use of your carbine. It will make you want to buy the Magpul B.A.D. lever too if you don't have one.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #5

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX
I know nothing beats going to a live fire course and actually doing it, but on a fixed VA income, it's not that easy. Does anyone have any insight as to which is the better of these, the DD LAV DVD or the Magpul Dynamics Tactical Carbine I & II? My birthday is coming up and it doesn't seem like I'm going to get what I had originally asked for, so I figured I'd take it down a notch and make it more realistic and feasible for my fiancée and family.

I don't get to goto the range as much as I want, and I don't live in NC yet, next year, different story (I don't have property to practice on, I live in a town home community). It would be me pretty much studying every move and taking physical and mental notes to apply the next time I do get to get out to the range. Any and all help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

And I'm sure now that I've said something about it, I won't get either DVD set and I'll probably end up getting what I originally wanted...errr.
Come to Las Vegas and I will get you a 4 day course at Frontsight firearms institute.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232
No problem, they should keep you occupied and give you tons of information on the tactical use of your carbine. It will make you want to buy the Magpul B.A.D. lever too if you don't have one.
Actually that was one of the first things I put on my AR after I got it haha. I loved the idea of it, and wish I would've known about it while I was serving. My friends see it and get kind of stumped when I tell them what it does/what it's for, then when they goto reload, I make sure to point out that they're slacking because they don't have one lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp

Come to Las Vegas and I will get you a 4 day course at Frontsight firearms institute.
I'd love to Mudpupp, if I could/can swing the airfare, I may have to take you up on that after my wedding in Nov. My fiancée would love to goto NV, but to see the sights and sounds, I could care less about that stuff, point me in the direction of the shooting range! I know I was looking at a course down here and it was a Magpul Dynamics class but it was some astronomical price per day. Kind of steered me away a bit haha

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #7

[QUOTE="XxChino13xX"]

Actually that was one of the first things I put on my AR after I got it haha. I loved the idea of it, and wish I would've known about it while I was serving. My friends see it and get kind of stumped when I tell them what it does/what it's for, then when they goto reload, I make sure to point out that they're slacking because they don't have one lol

Yeah they are nice to have, I got one after the watching the DVDs. Never even heard of it before then

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

[quote=mt232;887702]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChino13xX

Yeah they are nice to have, I got one after the watching the DVDs. Never even heard of it before then
When I first saw it, it had me stumped for a minute, then I read up on it more and thought back to the times when I had to look down real quick or flip it over during a reload, and it just made sense to get it. I use it to catch the bolt too if I need to. It's a bit tricky at first, but after a couple times it's no prob to catch it to the rear, especially if you're wearing a pair of gloves. (I've actually found that the Oakley gloves aren't that bad, IMO, I know most cut the tips off at the second knuckle, I did that with my USMC issue gloves, but no need to with these)