Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Tacti-cool -- not. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tacti-cool-not-94164/)

txpossum 07-20-2013 01:16 PM

Tacti-cool -- not.

I am not a tacti-cool type of guy. Heck, I live in rural Western Pennsylvania, and don't own a single item of cammo. I don't own an AR-15. I don't own a Glock, or any other firearm not comprised of steel and wood. I don't own a Cold Steel Commando Ninja shovel. I have never played Call of Duty -- as I matter of fact, since getting regularly beaten by the kid when she was eight years old I sort of avoid video games. When I do discuss guns in public, I don't focus on how many rounds it holds, how fast I can fire off those rounds, or in anyway allude to how badass guns make me.

Instead of trying in anyway project any sort of law enforcement or para-military image, I sorta try to go the opposite way. Tony Lamas instead of jump boots; Levis and cotton shirts; and, yes, I'm one of the old guys that still wears a leather bomber jacket in the winter, although Pennsylvania has also forced me to buy a Carhartt.

Outdated? My wife says so. Stylish? Not according to my kid. But . . . my gun interest doesn't raise eyebrows or worry my neighbors. Rex? Yeah, he collects guns, but he's a good guy. See . . . I "collect" guns. It's a hobby (people say), not "he's obsessed with guns".

I really think that wearing cammo (unless your are actually hunting) and web gear and a cultivating the military or law enforcement look (once more, unless you are a cop or in the military) damages the public perception of gun owners, and make us look like wanna-bees who might not be completely mentally stable.

I know that we all have our "costumes". My boots and leather jacket are as much of an affectation as anything I've mentioned here -- I just don't think it raises as many eyebrows.

What's your costume?

KG7IL 07-20-2013 01:23 PM

Mr Possum,

I sit here reading this in my Carhart coat and Georgia Romeo's. What more can I say.

txpossum 07-20-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1309556)
Mr Possum,

I sit here reading this in my Carhart coat and Georgia Romeo's. What more can I say.

Why are you wearing a Carhart coat in July?

KG7IL 07-20-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1309559)
Why are you wearing a Carhart coat in July?

I am in the delightful Pacific Northwest (Puget Sound Basin).

We had all the windows and sliders open last nite. Cool morning here.....58 degrees.

txpossum 07-20-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1309564)
I am in the delightful Pacific Northwest (Puget Sound Basin).

We had all the windows and sliders open last nite. Cool morning here.....58 degrees.

How cold does it get in the winter?

KG7IL 07-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1309566)
How cold does it get in the winter?

Although it temperate here, it seems like it gets colder every year.
I was in Arizona this last winter. We may get some stretches below 32, for a couple of weeks, but usually warms up each day a bit.

bluez 07-20-2013 01:47 PM

I wear the most practical clothing available to me.
Most of my kit is tactical as I am not a hunter.

kryptar19 07-20-2013 01:49 PM

Speak for yourself here brother. Down here people look at you funny if you dont at least wear camo sometimes.

AR15's are not inherently tactiCOOL. Its when someone puts a bunch of crap on it that it gets that way. A stock AR is no more tactical than an M1. Hi-cap mags and a pistol grip do not make a rifle "tactical".

BTW, whats wrong with Cold Steel knives?? :confused:

kytowboater 07-20-2013 01:54 PM

Whatever I feel like wearing I guess. If its hot, shorts. If not jeans. Boots with my jeans sneakers my wife bought me otherwise. Don't have anything "taticool?" Don't care to. Have an AR. Has a "traditional" scope on it. To each his own. But I like to laugh at the mall Nina's.

I like camo. My boat bags are camouflage, my back pack for the boat is, my boat pillow. I have a camo zippered jacket with a hood that I like.

7point62 07-20-2013 02:06 PM

I've got a mountain of tactical gear because I find it useful and dependable...with a military background I gravitate in that direction. It's my default choice for hunting, camping, trekking. For instance, a dropleg holster is great for my secondary while hunting, and I think Camelbak hydration packs are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I always buy my boots at the base exchange at MacDill and have been wearing mil-spec boots for 40 years. But I don't walk around town in it.

As far as firearms go, I'm a traditionalist, especially when it comes to rifles. I've love that beautiful custom walnut stock on my Rem 700. Slapping the word "Tactical" on a product means it's priced two or three times more than it's worth.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53...n/3e73f355.jpg