The Sweat Pledge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Sweat Pledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7441 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 15312

Default The Sweat Pledge

This might become political. If it does, move it to the appropriate forum.

I heard about this on the radio. The guy from "Dirty Jobs" has created a scholarship program to fund technical education. Recipients must sign the sweat pledge to receive the money. I agree with all but 3 and 7.

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/skill-work-ethic-arent-taboo/

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.

Sign and date

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting idea.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are some bad jobs. Like the ones portrayed on "Dirty Jobs." Case in point, peep show booth cleaner.
Come in early, work late as long as you are compensated for the overtime.
Volunteer for crappy assignments and you will become the office bitch.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
There are some bad jobs. Like the ones portrayed on "Dirty Jobs." Case in point, peep show booth cleaner.
Come in early, work late as long as you are compensated for the overtime.
Volunteer for crappy assignments and you will become the office bitch.
in regards to you opinion of #3 and #7, i think it depends on who you work for and whether they value you and your dedication and loyalty.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I think you may have a hard time finding Americans that will sign that. Not that there aren't plenty of other people in America that are looking for jobs that will.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I think you may have a hard time finding Americans that will sign that. Not that there aren't plenty of other people in America that are looking for jobs that will.
People no longer value integrity over money. They will sign it whether they agree or not.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post

People no longer value integrity over money. They will sign it whether they agree or not.
Good point. They don't care what it says so long as they get paid.
I guess I still haven't learned how to think like everyone else. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The easiest way to get rid of trash is to pile it up by the road and put a price tag on it. Someone will steal it before the sun comes up.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Years ago, was doing an inspection of a tool & die makers shop. The owner was an older Hungarian gent, Master machinist. Sitting in his office, having a cup of coffee, I asked "Joe, why are 3/4 of your machinists Vietnamese?"

" Want come work for Joe, you start minimum wage, learn sweep da floor. You show up, you do that, Joe teach you run lathe, screwcutter, mill, end mill, CNC machine, plasma cutter. Joe teach you weld. Joe teach you metals, temper, hardening. You pay attention, after 4-5 year, you journeyman die maker. Get job any domned tool & die shop in country, $60-70 t'ousand a year.

American kids no come learn sweep da floor."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Although ti might not be near as prevalent as it was there are people in this country that are willing to start at the bottom and bust their asses to get off the floor.
Sadly though, I do think that you see that more from people that where not born here or are only a generation form it. Because it is them that went through all the hell adn hoops to get here that really strive to take advantage of the oppertunuty.

At the end of the day I think it would be interesting to see the ones that not only take advantage of this opportunity but the ones that actually make it all the way though. THose will be a type of person that is much more a rare breed in the U.S. than they should be.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This