Survival Tip of the Day - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Survival Tip of the Day

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Exactly the type of reply I was looking for...

But I'm lost in the woods at night, and it's a new moon.
If you are lost at night, you should have already set camp. New moon means good fire and good sleep if camp has been made. In the morn, you will see the sun rise, kind of a dead giveaway of North.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Jesse, regarding the perpetual motion deal, I did say that it was good for you and yours. I even followed it with a

The time spent with your dad and the time spent with a son are precious. This goes for everyone, lefty or righty.
+1 on time spent between father and son.

BTW, I took no offense from your post. I was just acknowlegeing the fact that we figured out that it wouldn't work/wouldn't count. Yet trying was the best part of my childhood.

In a way, starting this thread was kind of my tribute to him, for something he taught me.

PS. I'll meet your and raise you 2 . LOL.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
If you are lost at night, you should have already set camp. New moon means good fire and good sleep if camp has been made. In the morn, you will see the sun rise, kind of a dead giveaway of North.
Ok, fine I give up. There's no use for this make-shift compass.

But someday when you're on Jeopardy and Alex says..."You float a needle on a piece of TP in a cup of water." well, now you can say..."How do you make a useless compass?"

Really, I just thought of this thread when I was out Geo caching today, and I hope it will continue for a while. I love reading little tips like this. You never know when you might need some little bit of info you remember from a thread like this.

Let's keep it going.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Ok, fine I give up. There's no use for this make-shift compass.

But someday when you're on Jeopardy and Alex says..."You float a needle on a piece of TP in a cup of water." well, now you can say..."How do you make a useless compass?"

Really, I just thought of this thread when I was out Geo caching today, and I hope it will continue for a while. I love reading little tips like this. You never know when you might need some little bit of info you remember from a thread like this.

Let's keep it going.
Actually, just knowing how to do it is very useful and a great tool to teach someone!

Understanding the need to understand directional compass points is one of those things that most people think they don't need to know until it is time to know.

My pop and I built an electromagnet that could pick up a school desk, no jive, no bull!!!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Or you could just navigate using these simple rules: The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. If you want to travel west, just go away from the sun in the morning and towards it in the afternoon.

Also, moss only grows on the northside of trees.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Or you could just navigate using these simple rules: The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. If you want to travel west, just go away from the sun in the morning and towards it in the afternoon.

Be careful with relying on moss on trees. Moss can grow on all sides of a tree, but the key is that there will typically be more moss on the north side because it receives the least sunlight. Using moss can only give you a general sense of direction and may in fact send you in the wrong direction depending on where shadows from the landscape fall.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
Be careful with relying on moss on trees. Moss can grow on all sides of a tree, but the key is that there will typically be more moss on the north side because it receives the least sunlight. Using moss can only give you a general sense of direction and may in fact send you in the wrong direction depending on where shadows from the landscape fall.
Agreed! In hot & humid MS, it often grows all the way around the base of a tree.

Regarding the tip about using your hand to measure remaining daylight in hours, the version i heard indicated that each finger marked 20 minutes. That is pretty close, IMO.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3220 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 18579

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I always used a wine cork or something like that.
Every time I try the wine cork,I can't see the needle any more.
Test taste, when-ever in a suvival mode,many things can be eaten to stay alive. If unsure,test taste,wait an hour or two,if no ill effects,it's edible.
Avoid mushrooms,there is no nutritional value,not worth the risk.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3220 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 18579

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post

Unfortunately,moss does not just grow on the north side of things,it will grow in any low light area.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8928 Times on 3868 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Hypothermia (low body temperature has killed more people than starvation or thirst. It happens when your body loses heat faster than it can make it. Shivering is an uncontrolled reflex response to lowered temperatures- your body is attempting to make additional heat. Hypothermia can develop at temperatures far above freezing, and is worsened by things that draw heat from the body- moisture and wind being very high on the list.

One of the first steps should be to get out of the wind. Anything that can block air flow- a large rock, a tree trunk, etc. Evergreen branches can make an effective windscreen. Be careful about removing wet clothing unless you have dry clothing to replace it- even wet, it can help retain some heat if you can limit wind caused evaporation. Wool is one of the few fabrics that will retain heat well even when wet.

The part of your body most vulnerable to heat loss is your head. If your feet are cold, it may be due to your head- cover your head with anything to limit heat loss- hood, hat, bandanna, plastic, or any natural material you can find. You may not be stylish, but you'll live that down later.