Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Summer heat.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1727 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Summer heat.......

People, people, people.... It's that time of year, It kills, talking about heat stroke. I had to post this because I almost lost my brother inlaw, working in his yard and drinking beer almost killed him. Yesterday I took my eight year old grand daughter fishing, and within one hour she was complaining it was to hot. Then she started throwing up. Took her home and gave her kool pops and set her in front of the fan, 30 min later she was feeling better.......Please look for the warnings............And DON"T leave your kids and pets in the car, its just like an oven........Besafe, you and yours.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Last edited by willshoum; 07-21-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Jpyle Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
CGO

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 47

105 yesterday.
The heat and humidity will be sticking around for a while here in OK.
I've been staying in the house like a hermit. I've had a heat stroke before and I can tell you they are no fun.
Don't forget to change your house AC filters also.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

In front of a fan is good but so is putting her in a bathtub of tepid water. Heat can definitely kill you.
Also, drink lots and lots of water. Staying hydrated is very important in this summer heat. Especially those of you who work outside in the heat.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1727 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Default Tepid water......

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
In front of a fan is good but so is putting her in a bathtub of tepid water. Heat can definitely kill you.
Also, drink lots and lots of water. Staying hydrated is very important in this summer heat. Especially those of you who work outside in the heat.
lol.... my ice maker is down, the water from the tap is about 80 dogries, I can't take a cold shower.....But, just prior to her throwing up she took a bottle of cold water from the ice chest and proceeded to cool her self down. First water to her face and then poured some on her legs and arms......Two years ago I lost my yellow lab due to heat stroke, he was a heavy sleeper, and on the hottest day of the year he falls asleep out in the sunlight, it almost killed me to have to put him down........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

I know someone who lost their Black Newfoundland to the summer heat. It was very sad.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I prefer 45ºC over 45ºF.
(Conversion)
That said, heat stroke is a serious consequence of not paying attention to your body, or those of friends and family. Here's a website that gives some good information on the symptoms and effects of excessive heat:

Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke

Drinks with alcohol and caffeine are the worst thing to drink when it's hot and, in some places, humid. Here in Nevada, our humidity has been relatively low, below 10%. It used to be higher but with all the residents converting their lawns to desert landscaping, the amount of humidity in the Las Vegas valley has steadily dropped in the last 10 years. Less grass and non-desert plants = less water used = less humidity.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I do well in dry heat and my 'red' skin doesn't burn easily. That said I have had heat stroke once. It's not fun and can come on very quick. It was the first time I was in Florida. I was fine for hours and then all of a sudden I got dizzy, vomited and passed out. I was stuck inside recovering for the next 3 days. Wasn't much of a vacation.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #8

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

We are working a firework stand now, it get up to 100+, we drink lots of water and sit in the camper ac mostly. We keep the golden retriever inside to.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #9

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

One incontrovertible fact I've learned from nearly 2 decades of working and playing in triple digit heat...ELECTROLYTES!!!. Water is all fine and good but once your body gets to the point of dehydration, all the water at Niagra won't do you a bit of good. Biggest problem is, when you do get to that point, by the time you become aware of it, it's already too late. Prevention is the key...supplement your water intake with something like Gatorade for example. I'll mix up 2 gallons of ice water with Gatorade powder and be out on the job all day with no major problems. (other than smelling real bad! ) I highlighted 'ice water' because it will have a dramatic effect on helping to regulate body temp.

Dogs have it even worse than we do since they have no sweat glands but there is a fix for them too...ELECTROLYTES!!! Just like us, we won't know there is a problem until it's obvious...plus they can't tell us they don't feel well...

http://www.nuprosupplements.com/electrolyte.htm

AFG posted a great link. No caffeine, alcohol, soft drinks. Take frequent breaks, watch carefully for the warning signs...stopped sweating, nausea, dizzyness. That heat can be a real bear but an ounce of prevention...you know the rest...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 06-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Heat stroked once, and it was miserable. The humidity here has been very low for this region, only around 20% recently. And here I am looking to get back into concrete work, after spending a couple of years in the classroom... NOT going to be fun.