Suggestions on small semi-automatic? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Suggestions on small semi-automatic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banta View Post
No offense taken. Firearms aren't a hobby for me. I shot the practice rounds that I did so I'd be comfortable handling and firing it.

I understand where you and others are coming from regarding safety. I think I will go with another 38 and see if I can find onthat is a bit lighter. The one I have is a Taurus and I'm sure they make a lighter frame.

Thanks for the input and feedback.
You want the safest protection with the best stopping ability - get a .357Mag, or if safety is not as important, a .40 cal auto. They each deliver 96% one-shot stops with the right ammo, and considerably smaller and lighter than any .45 auto. If you want smaller still, get a 9mm - with the right ammo you can achieve 91% one-shot stops. These days you can find a small 9mm to rival the Bersa .380, which can achieve 75% one-shot stops with Glaser 70gr. Blue ammo. What good is a gun if it's too big and heavy to carry 24/7?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

When ever the question 'what kind of gun for...' is asked you will get a thousand different answers. They will all be opinion mixed with fact.

Dillinger hit the mark when he said there are a lot of factors: hand size, frame, skill etc. As much as I would love to carry a sig .45, I am a woman and there are a lot more limitations on where/ how I can conceal. I carry a Kel-tec .380 because I can hide it well.

I suggest going to more than one gun shop and talking with them about different guns, see how you like the way some feel in your hand as well as how they feel concealed. A good gun shop will let you shove one in a holster and see how it feels. Get a variety of opinions and make up your own mind.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #13

Default all good suggestions... and my different one

Another option of firearms carry I did in some of the work I did in weirder parts of the world is call CPC (close proximity carry) Train to carry something useful all the time then make it carry a weapon of choice that you shoot well. That way size and concealability do not make as much difference. The carry object can be almost anything that matches your personal life style. It may not be a fast as on the body carry but it does allow more of a choice in the firearm you want to carry. There are pros and cons either way. The habit of being alert and aware of your surroundings are the primary skills for CPC. CPC is an art form that you can make match your personal habits for discrete weapons carry and for some works very well.

As a side note I made past quite a few random personal searches in foreign countries carrying my side arm this way. I still carry quite often this way.

Good luck!

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #14

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
07/28/2008 10:10:10 PM EDT
IC 35-47-2
Chapter 2. Regulation of Handguns

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

http://www.state.in.us/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html
for more info

I carry a 38. as a back up weapon good gun for close work. But more important is that not only you practice that your wife practices,and maybe even your child. Because you might not be home to protect your family.

Im not sure though that you would want a revolver for home defense though. If its a snubby then to be accurate you have to be relativley close.

Also thank about something with a saftey so if you do accidently pull that trigger hopefully you had the saftey on.

So what i suggest is go to the the gun store tell them your requirements. Hold and get the feel for some differnt types of guns and i suggest you do the same with your wife. Because what is nice for you might not be nice for her. In worst case trade the snubby in for a little bit on 2 guns or one.

I cant say this enough you need to practice your wife needs to practice and even your child if your so inclined to do so.

Nothing worse then somebody that is ignorant carrying a gun. I suggest you and your wife both take the ccw class.

good luck and good shooting

Last edited by dirtysouth; 07-29-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

look at the smith & wesson airweights in a .38
or the bersa thunder in the 380 compact

Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #16

Kahr Arms makes several small DAO semi-automatics that are lightweight and allow the carry of a larger round (9mm, .40, &.45).

Whatever gun you decide to carry, make sure you practice regularly. Learn to be aware of your surroundings so that you minimize the possibility of placing yourself in the situation of having to use your firearm. Finally, mentally prepare yourself to win the confrontation for if it is necessary to draw your weapon you must be willing to use it.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #17

Nothing wrong with the Bersa .380. It's a good choice for both concealability and reliability. I've been carrying either that, or a SP101 in the summer for a while. 600+ rounds so far. Not one single problem. I hear the 9mm and higher flavors are just as good.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The S&W Airweights loaded with wadcutters in .380 will fit the bill.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3179 Times on 1652 Posts
Likes Given: 322

How many rounds have your wife and daughter fired through the .38? If you are going to leave it home with her she should be able and willing to use it. If having it there just makes you feel better, it probably will not be used by her.

First, she has to WANT to learn to operate and use the gun. "Operate"- function and practice w/it. "Use"- shoot a threat be it man or beast. If she will not practice with it and will hesitate in "using" it, it will be more of a liability than an asset.

For a different way of looking at the problem. Carry the .38 and get an inexpensive 12 or 20 ga pump shotgun and have her shoot it a bunch. Easier to shoot accurately and far more able to stop the threat.

12 ga has a kicking reputation but have her practice with super light 7/8 oz or 1 oz target loads and work her up to some reduced recoil buckshot (the Remington OO reduced recoil works well). You might want to keep her away from the buck shot until the third or fourth trip to the range (don't scare her off).

Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kimber has a concealable 1911 model in .45ACP. It has plenty of punch and is a reliable, time-tested design. The only problem may be the price.