Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Suggestions Please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, I am not sure if that post above was intended for me or not, but let me categorically state that I write all my own material.
No, the above quote wasn't specifically intended for you. 'Why' did you assume that it was?

Quote:
As for what they do on other websites - Eh. If it works for them, great, but I personally don't want to be part of a website that is trying to be just like everyone else.
Got 'a love a maverick!

Quote:
We have a young website here that, I believe, we can all contribute too and really make it something. The Knowledge Base is a great platform for our growth, as long as it's done professionally and we don't go giving away illegal information.
You're right, and know what? I'm just starting to appreciate that fact!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
No, the above quote wasn't specifically intended for you. 'Why' did you assume that it was?
It was my thread, and I was the one that posted in the Knowledge Base. It's cool though - no worries...

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #13

So, we had an issue at the shop recently that got me to thinking, perhaps some information needs to get out there.

With the advent of the internet, a lot of people are shopping for guns, and supplies, and buying them to save money. Who doesn't want to save money, right? Well, recently an event transpired that was kind of odd - at least for us in the shop.

Guy has a nice Remington 700 that he wants to upgrade the factory stock and get it glass bedded. Calls and gets the prices, then says he has the stock already and will bring it over. Turns out he ordered up a Bell & Carlson Synthetic, nice stock. He leaves it with us and after a couple weeks the bedding job is done and the guy comes to get it, pays his bill and off to the range he goes. No big deal. Right?

Well, he came back in last week I guess and he needs a spacer put on the stock because it's the wrong length. Turns out the while the guy is about average height, about 5,-10", he has arms like an Orangutan! Now, he went by the normal chart and ordered the standard size pull, 13.50 inches, but he is EASILY two inches short.

When we asked him how he measured for the stock length, he told us he had never heard of such a thing.....

SOOOOooooooooo -

Does everyone on here know how to measure the right size trigger pull for the correct fit on their rifle stock? Or is this something that needs to be written up for the Knowledge Base?

Just wondering - as it was one of the first things I ever learned when I was doing research on building my first rifle, I thought it was pretty common...

JD

Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

SOOOOooooooooo -

Does everyone on here know how to measure the right size trigger pull for the correct fit on their rifle stock? Or is this something that needs to be written up for the Knowledge Base?

Just wondering - as it was one of the first things I ever learned when I was doing research on building my first rifle, I thought it was pretty common...

JD
I never think about that. I just buy the rifle if I want it, but then again, I've never had one customized. The only one that feels a little short to me is the M1 Carbine. I keep grazing my nose with my thumb when gripping the stock when it recoils.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That would be a good post JD. Like many I have never had a stock customized to my "Orangutan" arm length...LMAO..All kidding aside, I have heard of length of pull and "cast-off" & "cast-on" as regards shotgunning, but I wouldn't even begin to guess how to measure someone for the proper length of pull. I guess it could be critical - I know it's critical for archery where it's referred to as "draw length".

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
That would be a good post JD. Like many I have never had a stock customized to my "Orangutan" arm length...LMAO..All kidding aside, I have heard of length of pull and "cast-off" & "cast-on" as regards shotgunning, but I wouldn't even begin to guess how to measure someone for the proper length of pull. I guess it could be critical - I know it's critical for archery where it's referred to as "draw length".
You know RL, actually most people fall into the basic pull category, which is why stock makers have that nice, middle of the road, basic stock with a 13.5 inch pull. It's pretty standard for the masses.

My personal trigger pull is a little bit longer than most, which is how I learned about it in the first place. I would guess that, in three plus years of playing around in the shop, I would be surprised if more than one person a month came in that needed a longer, or shorter, stock that didn't know it. Obviously the smaller guys are concerned about it from the start, but guys who are taller than average, and have been most of their lives, never think about it.

I can do a write up on it, probably this weekend. It's super easy and it works for, probably, 96% of the people out there. The only people that wouldn't be able to size correctly are custom shooters who want a special spot weld on the cheek piece and guys who shoot benchrest competitively.

I'll try to tackle it this weekend. It shouldn't be more than two pages and a couple of pictures really....

Thanks for the feedback guys - I have become desensitized to this one lone issue and wasn't sure how pervasive it was in the collective.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-02-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typing too fast..

Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #17
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I upgraded cpttango30 for his ammo loading write-up.

Keep them coming! You don't have to be a guru to write an article. Just write on what you know or a project you are working on. Include pictures.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I upgraded cpttango30 for his ammo loading write-up.

Keep them coming! You don't have to be a guru to write an article. Just write on what you know or a project you are working on. Include pictures.
Congratulations to cpttango30! His piece on tumbling loaded ammo was well done and deserved to be moved to the Knowledge Base. This is something that has been coming up, around gun shops, stores and especially the gun range for years now.

This was a nice piece that gave folks a chance to see for themselves what the effects would be if they did the same thing without knowing any better.

Well done.

JD

Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think this is outstanding. I'd like to contribute as well, but since I've only gotten back into shooting the last two years or so, I don't have any expertise to offer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I think this is outstanding. I'd like to contribute as well, but since I've only gotten back into shooting the last two years or so, I don't have any expertise to offer.
I beg to differ Sir. You have to realize that not everyone has your experience. Just this week I found out that not many people have been exposed to the correct way to gauge the correct length of trigger pull for a rifle stock. I thought this was common, because of the people I am around, but I was completely wrong. I think if you give it some thought, I bet there is a piece out there waiting for your pen and ink.

JD