Suggestions Please...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Suggestions Please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Suggestions Please...

Okay guys - notdku was kind enough to set up the Knowledge Base for us here, and I think this is something desperately needed in the on line firearm world. I don't see a lot of other boards "giving away" information to the public. Everyone is more than willing to point out where you went wrong on a project, but we have a chance to turn this into a place where people can get good instructions, from qualified people, before they do something half-assed or unsafe.

You guys out there all have some valuable knowledge - So how about sharing some of it?

I want to see a list of suggestions on stuff that some members could put together that would be of use to other people. It would also be cool if a couple of the senior members would be willing to step forward and undertake one of the suggestions, or at least help co-author one.

Here's a short list of what I would like to see -

Reloading - We have some seriously sharp dudes on here that know a ton about home reloading.

Scope Mounting - I can't imagine everyone here knows how to do it correctly

Zeroing your new rifle - This could go hand in hand with the above

Take Down and Cleaning of the AK line - Any SHTF situation that occurs is going to bring a bunch of those to a battlefield near you - How about a guide to picking up, cleaning it out and getting it ready for business?

What do you guys think? Let's here some suggestions...

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is a real good idea JD - many people out here have a lot of knowledge which can be harnessed and disseminated. I think that reloading is a bit different however due to the dangers and liabilities. Sources should be cited when advising about charge weights and procedures which could potentially be dangerous. Benign topics like scope mounting, sighting in, cleaning, glass bedding, bluing, etc. would be good starting points. Maybe a few like-minded members with interest in a specific topic could collaborate, edit, and proof-read eachothers contribution to produce a final version.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-29-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
This is a real good idea JD - many people out here have a lot of knowledge which can be harnessed and disseminated. I think that reloading is a bit different however due to the dangers and liabilities. Sources should be cited when advising about charge weights and procedures which could potentially be dangerous. Benign topics like scope mounting, sighting in, cleaning, glass bedding, bluing, etc. would be good starting points. Maybe a few like-minded members with interest in a specific topic could collaborate, edit, and proof-read eachothers contribution to produce a final version.
That's a really good point that I did not initially think of RL. Perhaps handloading should not be one of the first topics tackled in the Knowledge Base.

Liability is definitely a consideration and should always be weighed. I certainly would never want to put anyone, or the website, at risk.

JD

Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's a really good point that I did not initially think of RL. Perhaps handloading should not be one of the first topics tackled in the Knowledge Base.

Liability is definitely a consideration and should always be weighed. I certainly would never want to put anyone, or the website, at risk.

JD
I think as long as valid data is given and sources mentioned there should be no problem. Personally I refer to the Sierra Manual several times a week for my own reloading questions, and have quoted from it several times on another forum - more to substantiate my post than to give advice.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #5

I think it's basically a great idea JD BUT , as you and RL357Mag have been discussing for controlling reloading Data I suggest the source of such data must be given and that some willing members review it with the ability to remove it with reasonable restraints placed on their power .

Some leeway must be made as newer reloading manuals have become more conservative than the older ones .

Someone with say a 40 YO Winchester model 70 and a speer #6 manual may indeed be using a charge that is over a maximum for the newest #11 with a certain powder bullet combo .

If one runs into such a case I suggest that the provider of data be required to submit a picture of the book , page and Data itself it came from for review or it be removed .

I also suggest that it be insisted that "How To" posts be restricted to a legible form . Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a post that should be 6 + Paragraphs and it is one continuous sentence with misspelled words everywhere .

Spell check programs are 100 % free and should be used by everyone .

For technical information in order to save on bandwith , if it currently exists on the web especially with detailed pictures the source only should be given rather than reprinting it here on this site .

An easy example would be 1911 trouble shooting and repair , there already exist many great sites for this purpose .

Old 06-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #6

As far as reloading goes, some of the more popular forums won't allow you to post specific loads.

Personally, out of many thousands of posts across numerous gun forums, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've stated the specifics of a certain cartridge. I mean, let's face it, there's plenty of other places on the internet to find load data and charts. 'Why' then stick your own neck out?

Me? I don't think it's a good idea to give load specifics on the internet; and, on those occasions when I've done so, the information was always right in the middle of a well-known and published chart. (Like, the Speer or Hornady manuals)

Telling people on the internet how to reload is one thing; telling them what to reload is another; and, never forget, there's bound to be some idiot out there who will swear that the load he blew his gun up with is the exact same load that he got from you! Am I right?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
.... If one runs into such a case I suggest that the provider of data be required to submit a picture of the book , page and Data itself it came from for review or it be removed. ....

For technical information in order to save on bandwith , if it currently exists on the web especially with detailed pictures the source only should be given rather than reprinting it here on this site. An easy example would be 1911 trouble shooting and repair; there already exist many great sites for this purpose.
Again, many internet forums require full credit by given to the original author and publisher of any work that's cited verbatim. 'Copy and paste' is a violation of, both, implied as well as formally copyrighted material.

This, also, includes posts that you, or I write. If any of this work is simply, 'lifted' and posted again by someone else, then, the original author or the website from which it was acquired can file suit and go after your IP address. (Remember, no one on the internet is ever truly anonymous. We, only, think that we are!)

I have occasionally referenced other people's work in some of my posts, but never without clearly stating both the author and source of the material. Ya got 'a be careful.

Ya know, after thinking about it, why not just, 'stickie' any of the posts deemed most useful at the top of their selected categories. That's what Glock Talk does; and, if this method is good enough for the 7th or 8th largest website in the world, then, it should be able to work here too.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #8

Well, I am not sure if that post above was intended for me or not, but let me categorically state that I write all my own material. I haven't 'cut & pasted' anything, other than from Word, where I wrote the project, to the website for posting. The posts I have put together for Rifle actions and the Build of the Lower Assembly were all put together by me, with my camera, and my own two hands. At the end of each project I listed my one, lone resource and that is my Master Gunsmith Brett Evans.

Now that I got that out of the way....

I need to be able to remove the reloading suggestion from the above post, after much further review I do believe that might not be the best idea given the reasons you all have pointed out. It would be something nice to have, but in retrospect, I think the liability is just too great. Which is a shame, because there are some truly knowledgable people here.

As for what they do on other websites - Eh. If it works for them, great, but I personally don't want to be part of a website that is trying to be just like everyone else.

We have a young website here that, I believe, we can all contribute too and really make it something. The Knowledge Base is a great platform for our growth, as long as it's done professionally and we don't go giving away illegal information.

I am going to continue to add to that part of the forum - if others would like to contribute as well, I think that would be great because we have some really sharp people here. If not, well, that is their/your choice.

JD

Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #9

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Another thing to consider about reloading is that a load that works very well for your rifle may not be as good for someone else’s rifle. Sense all rifle are individual entities and got minds of their own. I have been reloading for almost 30 years and worked up good loads for my Ruger M77V .308 and they did not perform as well in my friends Rem. 700 in the same cal. just my observation on reloading

Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There is an abundance of Reloading Data available from all the powder manufacturers on the web. Perhaps information regarding "how to", "tricks of the trade (not short-cuts!)" , or product reviews (presses, dies, various powders, bullets, and other components) that do not carry liability issues could be used?