Suggestions of "good" gun books?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Suggestions of "good" gun books?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Suggestions of "good" gun books?

I recently purchased a few gun related books, and found some better than others. I was specifically looking for reference type books, and I came across "L.C. Smith, The Legend Lives". I am letting husband pick up an LC for Christmas, and thought this book would be a nice companion, as we have started to collect old shotguns.

I ordered this book through the internet, and when it arrived I was extremly pleased--its one of the most exceptional gun books I have seen. It has beautiful photos, excellent information and covers all sorts of topis including the history of the company, grades manufactered and more.

Anyway, the point of this post; I was wondering if any of you could suggest some good gun books--whether as references, or as entertainment.

I collect books as well as shoot, so I figured I would combine my two passions.

And with all the bad news out in the world this last couple of weeks, wanted to think about something pleasant for once.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Massad Ayoob has a new one just out, "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry."

You can hear him interviewed about it at;
http://guntalk.libsyn.com/index.php?post_year=2008&post_month=10

Click on; Direct download: 081026guntalkB.mp3

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #3

Thanks I will see if I can find a copy this weekend.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

US Army FM 23-45

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #5

Umm what I could see is that FM 23-45 is for a browning .30cal.... just seems a lil random is there something in there worth it for other systems?

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin24000 View Post
Umm what I could see is that FM 23-45 is for a browning .30cal.... just seems a lil random is there something in there worth it for other systems?
Typo, it should read FM 23-35. It was originally the Basic Manual for M1911 and M1911A1 .45 ACP Pistols. It has since become Combat Training, Pistols and Revolvers.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

John Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper" is a great read and has much more information than just taking a cold bore shot on some bad guy.

Macpherson on "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" is a good read to help understand what goes into making a rifle shoot well/better

Precision Shooting Magazine is always a good read and they have some very good contributors that include some of the previous authors.

Art Pejsa's Handbook of New Precision Ballistics is very heavy ( mentally, not in weight ) but the man is basically the All Father of all modern Ballistic theory and knowledge.

I have a few more in the library at home that I will have to paw through and see what I can recommend.

JD

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
John Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper" is a great read and has much more information than just taking a cold bore shot on some bad guy.
+1 for Ultimate Sniper

Fast & Fancy Revolver Shooting (1938) by Ed McGivern.