The Stupidity of Buy America.....
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Stupidity of Buy America.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default The Stupidity of Buy America.....

Great perspective here.....

http://www.creators.com/opinion/john-stossel/the-stupidity-of-quot-buy-american-quot.html

Your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I didn't read the whole article but... If more people buy American=more goods made in America are bought=more demand for American products= more job creation to supply for the huge demand? so...if more people buy american = more jobs created? Think about it...if every single person in the US bought only US made products even just for a month...that would create ton of jobs!

Also if i spend on American goods im giving back to American companies.

But also, as of now, lots of International based companies are in America which also help American economy. So if we bought just American company goods, that might hurt us as well, and sometimes we might not get the best products. Can be argued both ways?

Those are just my thoughts, feel free to make me smarter
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt View Post
I didn't read the whole article but... If more people buy American=more goods made in America are bought=more demand for American products= more job creation to supply for the huge demand? so...if more people buy american = more jobs created? Think about it...if every single person in the US bought only US made products even just for a month...that would create ton of jobs!

Also if i spend on American goods im giving back to American companies.

But also, as of now, lots of International based companies are in America which also help American economy. So if we bought just American company goods, that might hurt us as well, and sometimes we might not get the best products. Can be argued both ways?

Those are just my thoughts, feel free to make me smarter
You clearly did not read the article because it explains why those are not valid arguments and in fact buying American could have the opposite effect you claim, but you are right it can be argued both ways. Buying something made in China means I'm helping to employ people who ship goods across the country for example.

I'm not saying I believe the article 100% but I do believe that buying cheapest is the best way. If something is the same price and made in America, I will choose that option but usually if there is a price difference I buy cheapest.

I disagree with the sweatshop comments in the article. While those people "might" be better off working in a sweatshop instead of not having a job that is not always the only alternative. Take Apple computers for example, it was recently discovered that Iphones were produced in "sweatshops", if Andriod phones are produced in factories paying their workers better wages then by making the choice to by an Android phone (same cost to me) I'm encouraging the Android plant to increase in size and discouraging Apple from doing the same. I think the best example of my thinking would be with blood diamonds, should we encourage the murder and inhumane treatment of people in order to get diamonds at a lower cost or should?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

It would be great if it worked that way but our "made in U.S.A" where actually printed in another country. Hell, when everyone got American flags on there cars after 9/11. Did you notice how many American flags on non-American cars. I drive a Ford ranger, I shot a Springfield armory gun and I realized that my fords parts are imported (go to a Ford dealership and look at the transit, its swedish) and Springfield armory bought the design off Croatian company.

Last edited by wrivera1979; 05-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I believe if we bought more American products we would have more jobs here. Politicians are paid off to move US contracts to foreign countries, done illegally, they break laws that are in the books or find a way around them. BO is trying to make hydro fractions illegal to keep us from drilling our own oil. The fed gov is trying to discourage US production!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You really can't say more jobs!! Look at alot of companies that have factories in the USA that aren't American companies!! Nissan and Toyota both have factories here giving Americans jobs!!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

All a company has to do to be able to say "Made In Amrica" is to assemble it here. Some products with foreign names are assembled here & with more american made components than their american named counterparts.

I will buy Wrangler jeans, assembled in Mexico with American made materials, before I'll buy levis or dockers who use profits to support anti-gun lobbyists.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Politicians are paid off to move US contracts to foreign countries, done illegally, they break laws that are in the books or find a way around them. BO is trying to make hydro fractions illegal to keep us from drilling our own oil. The fed gov is trying to discourage US production!
Seriously?

So all the shoppers buying lower priced goods at Walmart have no impact, it's only the politicians?

I work in an international environment. There are no politicians telling us what to do. I watch my employer put up multi million dollar plants in China in 1/4 the time it takes to do it in the US. I was on my local city's planning commission and I was appalled at how many hoops a company has to go through. I watched the board put a investor through HELL for over a year. He finally got pissed off and pulled out of the project. It was a simple condo development on a less then desirable piece of property. Great addition to the city...

WRT oil, fracturing has some pretty serious unresolved environmental issues. It requires a substantial amount of water and other chemicals. Theory is, these chemicals stay below the water tables... but several water tables have been "infected" with chemicals.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 91 Times on 60 Posts

[QUOTE="gollygee"]All a company has to do to be able to say "Made In Amrica" is to assemble it here. Some products with foreign names are assembled here & with more american made components than their american named counterparts.

Check out the parts on your American made car sometime. Most are made over seas and most of the parts for you "foreign" made cars and made here.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

I just bought a nice cast iron skillet. Made in the U.S.A.