You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The stupid things I have done with firearms !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7360 Times on 3814 Posts
Likes Given: 32232

Default The stupid things I have done with firearms !

Right after I bought my big bore Marlin , 1895 45/70 lever , I got this brilliant idea . I did enjoy pulling the trigger , down right made me smile .

Anyone who has shot this caliber knows it does pack a little punch but it can also be a little heavy after shooting a while . After several targetings
with it I came up with ....(Bi-pod ) ! I just happened to have a pretty good expensive bi-pod with no home , no gun to put it on yet ! Well , seemed to me to be a good idea to put it on the Marlin .

You have a barrel swivel and a butt end swivel for your sling ? Seemed like the perfect marriage , I could still have my sling swivel and the bi-pod all in one , right ? I did mount it on the front swivel area with what looked to be a pretty stought screw . I had shot it several times with no issues . Maybe one to many times .

As I'm sure you know , shooting many rounds builds quite a bit of barrel heat !
So I'm shooting away , my pick-up is parked which seemed more than safe from my target , even on a bad day , I'm not gonna miss by that much !

I shoot a few more rounds and decide to lever it and let it cool down while shooting my pistol . One round in the chamber , I reach over and grab like a Firing position , finger on the trigger and that screw broke , the one screw that seemed to work broke , sheered right off ! Super hot barrel , finger on the trigger , the gun fell , fired , shot my back tire of my truck and I still have the burn scar on my right thigh to prove it .

I was very lucky I was alone and it hit low on the tire so not to much damage !
My rifle , my truck and my thigh all have some character marks from that day !
Not so great an idea !

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Forum Chaplain

Liked 2200 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I have done some stupid stuff myself.

But I won't TALK about them!!!

Christ told me to arm myself.
If you want me disarmed, Molon Labe!
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Liked 1881 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 2030

I`m NOT telling !..................
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Again , this isn't going quite as I planned .......

Old 03-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

Liked 704 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Someone I know got up early, put corn flakes in a bowl, sugar, and milk...buttermilk. Tried a spoon full twice and something not right here spoiled milk?
Emptied the bowl in the garbage and got fresh corn flakes, sugar and milk...buttermilk. Took a bite and dang it wrong bottle again.
Empitied it in the garbage and put in more corn flakes, sugar and milk....buttermilk. Tasted it and could have cursed a blue streak, if I cursed.
Fourth attempt, corn flakes in bowl, sugar, milk....buttermilk.
Something is not right here. I ate it. Seemed destined to be.
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2016, 10:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
Someone I know got up early, put corn flakes in a bowl, sugar, and milk...buttermilk. Tried a spoon full twice and something not right here spoiled milk?
Emptied the bowl in the garbage and got fresh corn flakes, sugar and milk...buttermilk. Took a bite and dang it wrong bottle again.
Empitied it in the garbage and put in more corn flakes, sugar and milk....buttermilk. Tasted it and could have cursed a blue streak, if I cursed.
Fourth attempt, corn flakes in bowl, sugar, milk....buttermilk.
Something is not right here. I ate it. Seemed destined to be.
I see what you did there .......

Old 03-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14055 Times on 5945 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

I knew a gent who was a door gunner on a UH-1 Huey. Going in to a hot LZ, they drew fire from the treeline, and he opened up with his M-60.

OMIGOD! They must have hit the pilot! He is jerking and twisting and thrashing OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD WE'REALLGOINGTODIERIGHTHEREANDNOW!!

By the way- the M-60 is a belt fed 7.62 NATO machinegun. And when you are holding down the trigger, it fires about 550 rounds a minute. And ejects the very HOT casings with some force. Enough force to throw them all the way across the back of the pilot's seat.

Ever see the antics of someone with a piece of HOT brass that went down the neck of their flight suit? Then imagine the actions of someone with 8 or 9 pieces of hot brass down the neck of their flight suit.
People Like This 
Old 04-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I knew a gent who was a door gunner on a UH-1 Huey. Going in to a hot LZ, they drew fire from the treeline, and he opened up with his M-60.

OMIGOD! They must have hit the pilot! He is jerking and twisting and thrashing OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD WE'REALLGOINGTODIERIGHTHEREANDNOW!!

By the way- the M-60 is a belt fed 7.62 NATO machinegun. And when you are holding down the trigger, it fires about 550 rounds a minute. And ejects the very HOT casings with some force. Enough force to throw them all the way across the back of the pilot's seat.

Ever see the antics of someone with a piece of HOT brass that went down the neck of their flight suit? Then imagine the actions of someone with 8 or 9 pieces of hot brass down the neck of their flight suit.
Never shot out of a Huey but have played with the M-60 . A two man gun on the ground ! Hot brass , I've seen it from everything that auto ejects ! And they say us white folk can't dance ?
People Like This 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 3964 Times on 2220 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

I think everybody has gotten a hot casing down their shirt, at one point or another...
People Like This 
Old 04-01-2016, 04:18 AM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14055 Times on 5945 Posts
Likes Given: 2339

Dumbest thing I have ever seen done with a firearm involved mixing one of these

m79-2.jpg

with one of Mr. McNamara's 100,000 on a training range.

Forrest_gump__1589922f.jpg

THAT is an M79 Grenade launcher. It fires a 40 mm projectile that detonates on impact- if you are within 5 meters of the point of impact, your birthday just became null and void.

My trainee- who had the IQ of a goldfish- managed to fire a round of HE straight up. Uh, if you haven't figured it out- what goes up, must come down. Everyone hit the ground, and the round struck the ground about 30 meters BEHIND us.

Boy, that will wake you up faster than a cold shower and a double espresso!