Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   The Club House (
-   -   Stupid here ! (

dango 07-20-2014 01:20 PM

Stupid here !
I decide to field strip my new Ruger , 22/45 , lite , Mark three . I found a very good U-Tube video to help. I did something wrong ! :eek: to trigger reset , slide is sticking 1/4 open and can't unspring rear locking mechanism .

(HELP) ! :confused:

Airborne1 07-20-2014 02:50 PM

I would take it back apart, and watch a few more videos for how to strip it and put it back together. Then try again, practice makes perfect!

Rick1967 07-20-2014 02:54 PM

Do you have the owners manual? Mine has very good instructions.

dango 07-20-2014 03:15 PM

Manual ? Is that what that's was . :confused:

I can't get the thing, out......! :eek:

MisterMcCool 07-20-2014 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1607046)

I know a guy named Manual. He's Mexican.

No offense and none taken

Bigcountry02 07-20-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dango (Post 1607046)

I can't get the thing, out......! :eek:

Manual PDF version:

Ruger website - 3rd video down Mark III Disassembly, 4th re-assembly.

Mercator 07-20-2014 05:26 PM

I have an idea what went wrong. Please bear with me.

Make sure the hammer is cocked (not sticking up), pull the barreled action onto the frame, tap if necessary so that the rear end protrudes over the back of the frame, just a little. Now insert the retaining pin through the hole on top (you know where it is). Be sure that hole is lined up with the frame opening underneath. You should see a detente inside the hole. Push the pin down, depressing the detente out of the way. You can use a brass punch or similar tool. Also tap with a plastic mallet so that the pin sinks all the way, only its rounded top sticks out.

Chances are, you have done this already. Now the "interesting" part that drives you nuts.

Point the pistol up. Look through the backstrap opening. See a hinged metal tab hanging. It MUST be hanging OVER the crossbar. If it is stuckk under, pick it up with a tool, wiggle out, maybe back up the retaining pin, whatever it takes to get that dingle part on top.

With the dingle tab hanging freely, and the retaining pin all the way down through the hole... Keep pointing the muzzle up, PULL the TRIGGER, and hold it down. The retaining pin will fold into the backstrap. Function check, and you're gtg.

ctshooter 07-20-2014 08:13 PM

I have stripped and cleaned my wife's 22/45 lite a bunch of times, and I still use the YouTube videos.

therewolf 07-20-2014 09:22 PM

Those internet videos always tend to either leave out a step

or ignore or de-emphasize an important step. You have to watch 3

or four different ones to get all the steps right.

I know a guy named Manuel.

Manuel Layborre...:D

winds-of-change 07-20-2014 09:54 PM

Dango, I've been where you are. I tried to put a new thumb safety on my Ruger Mark II. I put new grips on and needed a longer thumb safety. It took me a month to complete the task. I was stubborn and refused to send the gun to anyone who offered help. I was going to do it myself, dammit. I did, but it was a long process. I'd work on it until I was ready to flip out. I'd put it down for a few days and try again. Youtube videos and a blow apart diagram is what helped in the end.