Stupid crap we've all done - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stupid crap we've all done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #61
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Did the stall warning buzzer go off?
It was over 25 years ago. I don't honestly remember.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

damn, no flaps in a 2 pass plane that held 4 seats?

And to the previous comment, my daughter knows I've done stupid stuff, she even brought up one of my dumbest stunts (although not one of the more dangerous ones)

The only reason I'm still alive today, is because my airplane loved me. We had a relationship that few people ever get to experience, much less with an inatimate object

Guess my worst decision flying story, Chicago was getting hammered by a massive snow storm. I flew from Detroit to the other side of the snow storm. ZERO reports of icing, tops reported just above 10k. So I'm tooling along at 12,000 feet bored to tears because there is NOTHING going on, and got this ingenious idea to pull carb heat over Gary IN. Engine quits. I have ZERO options, none, everything below me is shut down with a couple feet of snow. Through some luck, I'm assuming there was enough engine heat to melt the ice, engine started running after losing 1,500 feet. As it turns out, the carb cable had slipped and only pulled the heat 1/2 way on, which was worse then no heat at all. But the story doesn't end there... I found out the plane would land on a runway with a higher than demonstrated cross wind component. Full rudder, full aileron deflection... Instead of landing at another airport with a runway pointing straight into the 40 kt wind.

But, that wasn't my worst flying story, this one was not a bad decision, but a bad incident. I'm tooling along minding my own business with outside air temp of 20ish F, when suddenly the wing gets covered in little bumps like a teenager eating too much chocolate. Lost 30 kts of airspeed in 30 seconds, and the plane was rapidly getting mushy (near stall), WAY above stall speed. I had a discussion with an icing researcher who found my NASA report, and if I wasn't scared when the event happened, I was seriously frightened after our conversation. I had experienced a phenomenon known as super cooled drizzle drops. Very few planes survive an encounter, and they seriously didn't even think they were possible at that low of a temperature. The water is way below freezing temperature, without any catalyst to phase change to ice. When they hit the wing, the impact vibration provided the catalyst, and they rolled back on the wing rapidly attaching to the way below freezing AL surface.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #63
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
damn, no flaps in a 2 pass plane that held 4 seats?

And to the previous comment, my daughter knows I've done stupid stuff, she even brought up one of my dumbest stunts (although not one of the more dangerous ones)

The only reason I'm still alive today, is because my airplane loved me. We had a relationship that few people ever get to experience, much less with an inatimate object

Guess my worst decision flying story, Chicago was getting hammered by a massive snow storm. I flew from Detroit to the other side of the snow storm. ZERO reports of icing, tops reported just above 10k. So I'm tooling along at 12,000 feet bored to tears because there is NOTHING going on, and got this ingenious idea to pull carb heat over Gary IN. Engine quits. I have ZERO options, none, everything below me is shut down with a couple feet of snow. Through some luck, I'm assuming there was enough engine heat to melt the ice, engine started running after losing 1,500 feet. As it turns out, the carb cable had slipped and only pulled the heat 1/2 way on, which was worse then no heat at all. But the story doesn't end there... I found out the plane would land on a runway with a higher than demonstrated cross wind component. Full rudder, full aileron deflection... Instead of landing at another airport with a runway pointing straight into the 40 kt wind.

But, that wasn't my worst flying story, this one was not a bad decision, but a bad incident. I'm tooling along minding my own business with outside air temp of 20ish F, when suddenly the wing gets covered in little bumps like a teenager eating too much chocolate. Lost 30 kts of airspeed in 30 seconds, and the plane was rapidly getting mushy (near stall), WAY above stall speed. I had a discussion with an icing researcher who found my NASA report, and if I wasn't scared when the event happened, I was seriously frightened after our conversation. I had experienced a phenomenon known as super cooled drizzle drops. Very few planes survive an encounter, and they seriously didn't even think they were possible at that low of a temperature. The water is way below freezing temperature, without any catalyst to phase change to ice. When they hit the wing, the impact vibration provided the catalyst, and they rolled back on the wing rapidly attaching to the way below freezing AL surface.
Thankfully it was a '76 C177 with the 180hp engine rather than the anemic 150hp they originally put in them. It also helped that we were much skinnier back then.

Icing turns my blood cold. Particularly icing that "shouldn't" happen and happens fast.

Seems like the only place I've ever had any icing issue was over Gary as well. Things that make you go "hmmm".

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #64

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Obama wanted to weigh in on the subject matter. I thought this must be photo shopped, then I remembered he had been to all 57 states.

Looks like I did something stupid like not attaching the photo of obama with the phone backwards.

NEVER FORGET

Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #65

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

downloadfile-177.jpg

NEVER FORGET