Stupid crap we've all done - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Stupid crap we've all done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11543

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Funny, I just had this discussion with my early adult daughter yesterday when we were reviewing all the stupid things she did. Surprisingly, I've never done anything stupid... or so I said
Not to be too harsh, but I think it is stupid for a parent to lead their children to believe that they have done nothing stupid. All parents have been stupid. All of us. Admit it. Our children can learn from our mistakes. Be honest with them and they will respect that, at least my kids do. I can't imagine that your kids are any different.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Not to be too harsh, but I think it is stupid for a parent to lead their children to believe that they have done nothing stupid. All parents have been stupid. All of us. Admit it. Our children can learn from our mistakes. Be honest with them and they will respect that, at least my kids do. I can't imagine that your kids are any different.
The one thing my father taught me.. "wise men learn more from a fool then a fool does a wise man."

Needless to say.. I am twice the man he is.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
The one thing my father taught me.. "wise men learn more from a fool then a fool does a wise man."

Needless to say.. I am twice the man he is.
Perhaps you are twice the man he is but are you wiser than him and is he a fool?

The wiser man was foolish in his youth, and that is why he is a wiser man.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #44

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Perhaps you are twice the man he is but are you wiser than him and is he a fool?

I am much wiser. I learned from his mistakes.
I already have more in my life at the age of 28 then he has had his entire 56 years. A job being one of them..

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #45

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

I think he was simply stating he learned something from his father.

Never mind.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #46
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I caught a storage building on my property on fire burning leaves a few years ago. Burned the building and its contents to the ground. Burned up a few trees and several hundred feet in each direction. The whole area looked like a scene from The Day After.

I didn't realize how much the wind was picking up until it was too late.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #47

Quote:
I am much wiser. I learned from his mistakes.
I already have more in my life at the age of 28 then he has had his entire 56 years. A job being one of them..
Good for you then! Sounds like your dad is not much of one, or perhaps can serve as a bad example. I do that from time to time myself.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Good for you then! Sounds like your dad is not much of one, or perhaps can serve as a bad example. I do that from time to time myself.
Not much of one is correct. Hows this for a good example? My dad took me fishing ONCE... never been camping with him. Never had "the talk". And those are just the "nice" things to say about him.

When I first found out I was going to have a son of my own, I was excited to tell him and figured he'd be happy for me. The conversation went as follows.. "dad, ive got great news.. you're going to be a grandfather".... Dad: " you should have flipped her over....(dial tone...)

I see a lot of great fathers on here (from what I read). And many of you have given more great advice then my own. I thank you all for that. Treat your children good... someday it can take a hard left turn.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Not much of one is correct. Hows this for a good example? My dad took me fishing ONCE... never been camping with him. Never had "the talk". And those are just the "nice" things to say about him.

When I first found out I was going to have a son of my own, I was excited to tell him and figured he'd be happy for me. The conversation went as follows.. "dad, ive got great news.. you're going to be a grandfather".... Dad: " you should have flipped her over....(dial tone...)

I see a lot of great fathers on here (from what I read). And many of you have given more great advice then my own. I thank you all for that. Treat your children good... someday it can take a hard left turn.
That is rough. All I could offer as advice would be to be a better dad than your father was.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #50

@UrbanNinja

Success is the best revenge. Raise your kids well and right and when your kid calls to tell you of the good news that you are to be a grandfather you will respond with great pride (even if you disapprove of the spouse, etc., bite your tongue and don't hang up the phone.)

On the same day that my (future) wife and I decided to announce our engagement my older sister announced that she was pregnant with the first grandchild. Our mother said "I'm not ready to be a grandmother!!!" and I don't think she really grasped the fact that her youngest son was getting married. The point is that ready or not , life happens.